Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: House of cards, a GRNDL primer! (Now with 100% more murder!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Haas-Bioroid pays well, but you are not a real security officier until you start murdering people! I present House of Cards, a hyper-aggressive GRNDL deck that has given me two playmats and made me look less dumb for playing with the Professor. It's big, it's nasty and extremely effective so you should check it out!

House of Cards, a GRNDL primer

This time, I've boiled down the primer to less than two thousand words compared to the three different articles of UpInc and I think it has been for the best. It's still a bit unpolished and has a rocky translation but I really hope you enjoy it

At least I do enjoy forcing everyone to play 3 Plascretes, what can I say
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
General_Norris wrote:

I'll stick to Imping the crap out of your Scorches with Kate. cool

Very nice deck though; I must give it a whirl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Henry
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
General_Norris wrote:

I had a more casual "all in" Weyland deck I made because I wanted to mess with Dedicated Response Team. Making them burn through is fun, haha.

Neat deck though! I want to give GRNDL a shot so I think this is a great place to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobberson
msg tools
2 Archived Memories is a nice splash in this build. It's very versatile and utilitarian with Punitives, Oversight, and Troubleshooter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Looks like Supermodernism and Vegan Weyland had a bastard child
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Smith
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
Haas-Bioroid pays well, but you are not a real security officier until you start murdering people! I present House of Cards, a hyper-aggressive GRNDL deck that has given me two playmats and made me look less dumb for playing with the Professor. It's big, it's nasty and extremely effective so you should check it out!

House of Cards, a GRNDL primer

This time, I've boiled down the primer to less than two thousand words compared to the three different articles of UpInc and I think it has been for the best. It's still a bit unpolished and has a rocky translation but I really hope you enjoy it

Great article. I'm not much of a Weyland player, but I *am* a big fan of The Professor. I'd love to hear your thoughts on him. I brought a Professor deck to the local Store Championship recently and although I ended up winning, it was more on the strength of my Corp deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, in your experience, how often do you flatline people? It seems even 1 plascrete is enough to foil your plan. You only have two shots at flatlining them if you let them steal a 3 pointer everytime and you might not be ready every time. Is it better to not use meat damage at all?

Second, what do you think of reclamation order instead of archived memories?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Lysander1 wrote:
General_Norris wrote:

I'll stick to Imping the crap out of your Scorches with Kate. cool

Very nice deck though; I must give it a whirl.

I keep hearing "imp" tossed around as the solution to all of lifes combo problems, do you really find that tutoring for an imp / recurring it with a clone chip is really the most effective use of your limited tutor effects, especially when Jackson is just gonna stick that back in their deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
Interesting, in your experience, how often do you flatline people? It seems even 1 plascrete is enough to foil your plan. You only have two shots at flatlining them if you let them steal a 3 pointer everytime and you might not be ready every time. Is it better to not use meat damage at all?

Playing a "no threat" weyland is a 1 weekend deck. Once people know that you can't scorch out of it, you're in trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:

I assume the Punitive is more there to threaten against a huge early Indexing or something, but I agree Plascrete makes it a dead card once one is down. I am similarly interested in the flatline rate.

Also, since Punitive is largely over in the mid game, would Contracts not better? How often does Cleaners actually boost meat damage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_Frisk wrote:
Playing a "no threat" weyland is a 1 weekend deck. Once people know that you can't scorch out of it, you're in trouble.

You don't play "no threat". If you get rid of flatline package, you can add better ice (Bastions, Elis, Tollbooths, Rototurrets) so the runner is poor, better economy (Government Contracts instead of The Cleaners, some extra Restructure) and Corporate Troubleshooters (so that you can land an Archer hit even after it's rezzed). Add Power Shutdown (and maybe Aggressive Secretary) to the mix and you threaten the runner's rig all the time, opening scoring windows similarly well as the flatline threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
johncraven wrote:
Interesting, in your experience, how often do you flatline people?

Quite often actually, I can't give you a number, I haven't counted but I would say more games end in a flatline than not.

The reason for this is that it's extremely easy to put the Runner in a situation in which getting an agenda gets them killed but they can't allow you to score. You can also get lots of early kills because of how easy it is to get a Punitive kill compared to Scorched Earth flatline, by the time the Runner can get across your early game ICE, chances are you can kill them so it's very scary.

The speed of the deck and the use of Archived Memories makes killing Plascretes with Power Shutdown surprisingly easy which opens more Punitive Kills than you would think. If you play two in a row chances are you are hitting either Plascrete or an icebreaker.

It's also common to kill Plascrete after they got into your remote and then kill them.

Quote:

Reclamation Order is a double so it's not an option since I want it to play two Shutdowns or Punitive in a row.

hoobajoo wrote:
Also, since Punitive is largely over in the mid game, would Contracts not better? How often does Cleaners actually boost meat damage?

Well, as I said, it's not really over in the mid game since you can just blow them up but scoring The Cleaners early on is pretty easy and it completely stops any possibility of running without Plascrete since every agenda can kill them.

Contracts or any other money agendas wouldn't help since there's nothing to actually spend the money on.

kenobob wrote:
2 Archived Memories is a nice splash in this build. It's very versatile and utilitarian with Punitives, Oversight, and Troubleshooter.

mplain wrote:
Looks like Supermodernism and Vegan Weyland had a bastard child

The deck evolves from the archetypal Weyland deck playing Corporate Troubleshooter and sometimes Ash. The principle was similar: Getting lots of Bad Pub makes you lose so you dropped Troubleshooter as a temporary solution.

I sometimes played Archived Memories in these lists so when people started playing Punitive/Memories in their HB decks, I knew I could mesh the concepts and make a really good deck in which all the cards worked very well with each other. And here it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
By the way, here's a good way to understand the deck. Do you know those decks that are like "LOL SANSAN" and "LOL SIPHON"?

This is "LOL PUNITIVE" and "LOL SHUTDOWN".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
hsiale wrote:
Captain_Frisk wrote:

You don't play "no threat". If you get rid of flatline package, you can add better ice (Bastions, Elis, Tollbooths, Rototurrets) so the runner is poor, better economy (Government Contracts instead of The Cleaners, some extra Restructure) and Corporate Troubleshooters (so that you can land an Archer hit even after it's rezzed). Add Power Shutdown (and maybe Aggressive Secretary) to the mix and you threaten the runner's rig all the time, opening scoring windows similarly well as the flatline threat.

It's definitely viable but you're giving up a big piece of the weyland puzzle. Simply having the ability to scorch (at all) forces most runners to waste a turns worth of resources dropping a plascrete.

Ditto for jinteki - you can make a deck that doesn't include snares, shocks or fetals, but once the runner knows they aren't there, all the sudden R&D digging is alot more effective.

In this meta, I'm very careful against an unknown weyland deck (for example - i might not drop R&D interface and start digging vs. an undefended R&D)

It's a great thing to bring to a tournament because nobody knows and they play sub optimally against it, but you lose much power by at least having some threat to kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, thanks for posting!

This looks a bit like two different GRNDL decks I've seen (one that tries to kill you, and Oversight AI/Troubleshooter that tries to trash all your stuff) mashed together. Consequently, you're running two very different ways to turn your starting cash into a win: Troubleshooter and Punitive. What makes that better than a focused deck that just concentrates on one and adds in a bunch more economy to make it land more reliably?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_Frisk wrote:

Play that version for many weeks at your local. Then add the Scorches for your store championship. BOOM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Kester wrote:
Consequently, you're running two very different ways to turn your starting cash into a win: Troubleshooter and Punitive. What makes that better than a focused deck that just concentrates on one and adds in a bunch more economy to make it land more reliably?

Well, the thing is that flatlining takes, what? Five slots? You can just throw it in and the deck becomes better, you don't have to sacrifice anything for it!

You also aren't going to get better flatline kills because you have a couple more operations, Plascrete and rich Runners are going to wall you anyways. Most of your wins will come through scoring under the threat of flatline, not because of the flatline itself.

When it comes down to it this a deck that tries to wind back time to the early game through some powerful tricks instead of building a position on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sir slayer
msg tools
Nice article,
gonna try it out soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Opie wrote:
Captain_Frisk wrote:

Play that version for many weeks at your local. Then add the Scorches for your store championship. BOOM.

Excellent idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
have you tried using green level clearance and/or anonymous tip? I feel like your deck has many small combos and would benefit from draw power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maury Richards
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a general question. Your article talks about having a single remote or as soon as you have a remote. Where do you put Jackson? Don't you need two remotes at least? One for Jackson and one for scoring? Or do you just drop Jackson, draw and then sac him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
If you are using Jackson, your remote is probably empty so you can put him there. But he's going to be sacrified practically every time you use him so it doesn't matter much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
I have a couple questions.

Why not run all 5/3s and 2/1s? Government Contract would bolster your economy so you can have something of a lategame, this frees up a deckslot, and it'd make double Punitive more likely to kill without the help of The Cleaners.

Assuming Atlas is the better choice, how do you typically score/use it?

Finally, I see you run just one Beanstalk. Have you tried out Power Grid Overload? If you take my first suggestion, you'd have room for two. I'd think you have the economy to support it, it pairs well with Shutdown, and it could enable earlier kills more consistently against those that get out Plascrete early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Hey, sorry Lysander I didn't see this until now.

I haven't actually tried to play both The Cleaners and Goverment Contracts, so I can't really tell you how well it would work but there are a couple reasons I like the current agenda split:

1) Players won't risk a flatline, if they cannot steal a 5/3 without dying, they won't steal any agendas. Fear is a powerful tool.

2) Being able to bluff a Jackson or Troubleshooter as if were a 3/2 is very important and the moment the Runner sees Goverment Contracts he'll know your agenda composition.

3) IAA Goverment Contracts gives you 3 points and 4/5 credits per turn. IAA Atlas gives you up to 4 points and 4/5 credits per turn because you can fetch your takeovers.

But it could work, feel free to try it!

I haven't tried Power Grid overload. It could work, but I've noticed good players will play around Punitive by beating the Trace and then drop Plascrete when they have enough junk around. It requires testing too see if you can "get" them when they don't expect it.

I think both options are solid, my main concern is "Will this help me win more against the best players, or will it just make it easier to crush everyone else?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Priority Requisition would be a better choice than Gov Contract. When you score a PR, you can rez a Curtain Wall or an Archer immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.