Zombicide» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo play question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Oless
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Never played the game and just ordered PO & TCM. As I'll always be playing solo, I'm intrigued by the idea of just using one survivor against the zombies (sort of an Omega Man type scenario). Playing by the standard game rules, is this possible? Would the game be too easy or too hard to play? Is it better to design your own rules to make this idea feasible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Playing solo... 1 survivor style. Most of the scenarios are geared towards a 4 survivor minimum. You would need to lower the number of Spawn Zones to 2 or so. And I think, maybe just run smaller maps, it will probably get boring though or completely overwhelming... being that survivor only gets 1 turn a round, instead of multiple survivor turns per round.

I'm sure it's do-able. Try designing a scenario, play-test then submit it.

~Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jono12 wrote:
Never played the game and just ordered PO & TCM. As I'll always be playing solo, I'm intrigued by the idea of just using one survivor against the zombies (sort of an Omega Man type scenario). Playing by the standard game rules, is this possible? Would the game be too easy or too hard to play? Is it better to design your own rules to make this idea feasible?

Strictly rules as written, you cannot do this. Most of the missions are 4-6 survivors, usually with 6 recommended to stand a chance. So to do what you want to do, you're going to have to house rule.

Off the top of my head, instead of using 6 survivors with 1 turn each, and then the zombie turn, you could just allow your single survivor 6 turns in a row before activating zombies. If that proves too easy or (more likely) too difficult, since groups can split up and a single survivor can't, you can always adjust the number of turns up or down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
Hmm, it's a tricky proposition, most of the fun (and tension) in the game comes from the horde. One lone guy couldn't survive long against the horde, and if you scale down the number of zombies it will probably be too easy to avoid them.

I guess you could always experiment with some house rules to make the survivor a bit more capable - more action points, a larger inventory, starts with a dog, that kind of thing. But then you might just feel OP, which I don't think is what you want either.

You could probably build some specific scenarios to let you do what you're suggesting, but I don't think there's an easy rule of thumb you could apply across the existing sets/scenarios to give that same experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Oless
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Good thoughts and suggestions, I'm going to experiment. I think I can make it work. Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jono12 wrote:
Good thoughts and suggestions, I'm going to experiment. I think I can make it work. Thanks all!

Let us know what you come up with!

This kind of thing is something I've thought about working into a scenario.

I would want minimal changes to the core-rules, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Oless
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Agreed. I don't want to alter any of the standard rules, so we'll see how it goes. Just got my games delivered today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.