9 Posts

Summoner Wars: Guild Dwarves vs Cave Goblins» Forums » Rules

Subject: Guild Dwarves summoner power is meh? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I tried out guild dwarves for the first time last night in a 4 player game. His power seems underwhelming. If he's next to a wall, 4+ hits instead of 3+, that's it? If it was always, or 5+ I could see it being a full summoner power.

And, on a side note, their champions seem squishy, but that might have just been bad luck. The guy who is only hit on flawless rolls got stomped by a gorilla rolling perfect two times in a row, and the guy that can spend a magic to lose 1 wound got hit with 2 3 dice guys his first turn out (because I pushed him forward to hit their summoner), all dice hit, so dead even if I wanted to spend the magic to take off a wound.

Anyways, I destroyed walls for the first time, which was fun and derailed the other teams momentum, which let us squeak out a win. But other people on the forum seem correct, 4 player is fun, but we could have played a 2-3 rounds of 2 player games in the same time frame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd agree that Odin's power isn't that exciting, even more so as Summoner Wars has grown. This said the rest of the deck more than makes up for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Summoner is more than just their ability. Consider that he has six hit points, and his event cards include two Heroic Feats, two Magic Drains, and two Reinforcements which I think are all fantastic cards.

Regarding the champs, you should consider their cost to their stats. Thorkur is a 3 AV ranged unit, of which there are few in the game (I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but I imagine you can count them on one hand). Just about any ranged unit will suck if you use them to rush the enemy summoner. If you keep him back on your side, he can fend off the approach of most common enemy units from many directions.

Baldar is 3 AV for only 4 magic, and his ability means that he's really only weak against swarms of low AV commons; if you us him to go up against a champion with 3AV, he'll win just about every time. Just about anyone gets squashed by a gorilla in the small chance that they land 4 hits (particularly anyone who costs 4 magic), and that's only one unit in one faction to worry about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. L.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
His ability (without any external factors) takes him from being hit 67% of the time to 50% of the time. While it may not be the most inspiring ability it is still strong. And like others have said, the rest of his units make up for any weakness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
A Summoner is more than just their ability. Consider that he has six hit points, and his event cards include two Heroic Feats, two Magic Drains, and two Reinforcements which I think are all fantastic cards.

Regarding the champs, you should consider their cost to their stats. Thorkur is a 3 AV ranged unit, of which there are few in the game (I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but I imagine you can count them on one hand). Just about any ranged unit will suck if you use them to rush the enemy summoner. If you keep him back on your side, he can fend off the approach of most common enemy units from many directions.

Baldar is 3 AV for only 4 magic, and his ability means that he's really only weak against swarms of low AV commons; if you us him to go up against a champion with 3AV, he'll win just about every time. Just about anyone gets squashed by a gorilla in the small chance that they land 4 hits (particularly anyone who costs 4 magic), and that's only one unit in one faction to worry about.

You make good points, I never think of a summoner as the events also, I'm only 7 games in so far, so I think of it as summoner + champions + commons + events as all distinct things, I don't personally own any second summoners or reinforcements to start changing up individual races like my opponent did with his jungle elves. And I had a heroic feat on Thorkur, which is why I rushed him forward, I was OK with sacrificing him, but I figured the odds were in my favor that he'd squeak thru with 1-2 wounds left before death.

On a separate side note, am I correct in thinking besiege the walls would wipe out all of a swamp orcs vine walls?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preu
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:
On a separate side note, am I correct in thinking besiege the walls would wipe out all of a swamp orcs vine walls?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Summoner Wars Master Set to Summoner Wars: Guild Dwarves vs Cave Goblins

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Pike
United States
Red Bluff
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldin was m,y wife's favorite summoner for a long time (until Bolvi came out) she was also a little underwhelmed by his ability. I just say that his commons, champs and events make up for his somewhat weak ability. Sneeks on the other hand is a very strong summoner with cheap, weak units. When i play Sneeks against Oldin I tend to have Sneeks close to the front line waiting to rush Oldin and then teleport back to the rear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldin's ability is defensive, I don't find it very useful, 2 ranged AV is good but as a summoner he does not infulance your game play much, SM does allow you to attack a little more, due to less risk of hits.
I would love a different version of oldin to use with his events but I doubt that will happen.
Now I do like his faction, I enjoy going for the walls for a change rather than units all the time.
My advice to you is embrace the faction play not the summoner and enjoy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.