6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Eldritch Horror vs. Darkest Night vs. A Touch of evil rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K L
msg tools
Hi,

which of the three games is best for solo play?
Which has most "story-feeling" (like Robinson Crusoe for example has), which one isn't over-complicated, which one doesn't take too much time, etc.?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
For solo, Darkest Night is probably your best bet. Unfortunately it isn't as story-driven as Eldritch Horror. Either game is a good bet. I haven't played A Touch of Evil, but from what I've seen it isn't as good as the other two. The best thing it has going for it is that you can play it solo, competitively, and cooperatively.

Based on what you're looking for, I'd say Darkest Night is the best compromise between being simplistic and short, while still offering a decent narrative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all three. Darkest night is more like a puzzle with limited actions. EH feels like an organic puzzle with an interwoven sorry built into it. A touch of evil is a random dice fest that's good every once and a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kvothe91 wrote:
Hi,

which of the three games is best for solo play?
Which has most "story-feeling" (like Robinson Crusoe for example has), which one isn't over-complicated, which one doesn't take too much time, etc.?

Thank you!

I haven't played Darkest Night.

That said, the other two you can play solo, but it's best to play multiple characters.

Eldritch is streamlined from Arkham Horror, but it's not simple. Good theme, good mechanics. I would say its complexity is on par with Robinson Crusoe. However, you're looking at a 3-4 hour game. Thematically, it's Indiana Jones globe trotting horror.

A Touch of Evil is simple, featuring the much derided roll and move mechanic. Roll, move to a corner location. Follow the instructions on the card. Roll the dice using your abilities to over come the obstacle, etc. It's theme is Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow/Hammer horror. I usually play solo with 3 characters. The game really comes alive using the Something Wicked expansion (wider play area, more advanced rules) and the Investigative variant (fan made expansion located in the Files section for A Touch of Evil). Game plays in 2 hours. I really like the atmosphere in this game.

These two games are good. Eldritch is more complicated/meaty/whatever term you want to use than A Touch of Evil. A Touch of evil plays shorter and uses less brain cells.

I'll play Eldritch on the weekends, A Touch of Evil during the week, after work.

jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer A Touch of Evil mainly because the theme appeals to me more. I also love rolling dice and the game has plenty of dice rolling. Interesting characters, good miniatures, and great expansions and can be played multiple ways. I also think it's an easier "Heavy" game to get non-gamers into without their brains exploding over the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Eldritch Horror and Darkest Night.

I like Eldritch Horror more as a full game. I like Darkest Night more as a solo experience. This likely translates to Darkest Night, as others were saying, being a more puzzle-like experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.