Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Interceptor Build rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gwvsjohn
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Recently got smacked by an Interceptor heavy build boosting and barrel rolling all over my squad. So I figured I'd go all in

Turr Phenrir
3x Royal Guard Tie - PtL

How does this squad fare? Would it be better with a 4th Royal Guard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A fourth RGT with PTL is better than a naked Turr, yes.

Another possibility, because Interceptors hate getting blocked:

RGT + PTL x2
Obsidian x2
Academy x2

Remember, plant those TIEs where his Interceptors will be, and he ain't boosting or barrel-rolling anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farley
msg tools
The answer to Interceptors isn't more Interceptors.

The answer to Interceptors is turrets and Ion weapons or high dice weapons.

As a BIG fan of the Interceptor (it's far and away the best looking and coolest ship in all of Star Wars) it is the Falcon, Y-Wing with Ion Turret, HWK-290 with Blaster or Ion Turret and B-Wings or Slave I with Ion Cannons which make my day a bad one.

Alternatively you throw so many dice that they can't effectively evade, the Heavy Laser Cannon (especially with re-rolls from Krassis Trelix or Captain Jonus) is ideal here. This punishes them for their low hull and lack of shields with defensive reliance on evade dice.

If you aren't used to flying them the Interceptor (like the A-Wing) is a trap as they take a LOT of finesse and skill to use well.

Your opponent sounds like they know what they are doing and will likely simply out-fly you if you try playing his game. Instead of doing what he is already more practiced with you are likely better to go for a different option which answers his tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gwvsjohn
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I guess I wasn't clear. I'm not trying to make an Interceptor build to stop Interceptors. I just saw how much fun flying them can be and I'm trying build a competitive all comers interceptor heavy build
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking at doing something similar at one of our local venues, although they don't allow "Imperial Aces", yet, so I was using Saber Squadron + VI - pretty much same thing as Royal Guard. (And sticking 'stealth device' on them, as 'hull upgrade' wasn't allowed per above)

I'm rather thinking that if you CAN use "Imperial Aces", that Royal Guard + Hull Upgrade is going to work best.

Interceptors, with their boost or barrel roll, do pretty good against most arc-based-opponents with just a single action. And against opponents with 360-weapons, the boost/barrel roll thing is basically useless. So spending so much on PtL for boost+barrel combos basically concedes the game to 360-weapons - and, as noted up-thread, makes "action denial" opponents VERY effective against you, as you've spent so much emphasizing the importance of your being able to take an action!

Better (IMHO) to spend the points on increasing survivability some, to hopefully keep your fighters around long enough that your relatively heavy firepower can start to tell against them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gwvsjohn
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
You don't have to boost + roll though. With the massive amount of green maneuvers, you could use PtL to evade and effectively add a hull point every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a fun introduction to Interceptors, try this:

Krassis Trelix + Heavy Laser Cannon
Soontir Fel + Push the Limit
Turr Phennir + Veteran Instinct

You'll get to try the most powerful named Interceptors and see if you like the defensive possibilities of action stacking (Fel, and PtL in general) or the slippery evasiveness and finesse of out maneuvering your opponent (Phennir and relying on positioning through Barrel Roll and Boosting). After playing this, you might decide if you want to go for Royal Guards with PtL, or build around one of the top named pilots (or both).

If you want to go all in on Interceptors, I've enjoyed playing this squad:

Turr Phennir + (either Veteran Instinct or Push the Limit)
4x Alpha Squadron Pilot

You'll quickly realize how important pilot skill is, as Barrel Roll and Boost can get you into trouble if you don't know where your opponents will be. My advice: "When in doubt, Focus."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that last squad- I wanted to try a few variations of Turr-led squads already, and I have to add that one to the list.
Turr+6AP (Is there a name for this? Turr walks the pack?)
Turr+Howl+3x BSP+VI (One-Wing Angel [Get it? 666?])
And now
Turr+4x Alpha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
gwvsjohn wrote:
Recently got smacked by an Interceptor heavy build boosting and barrel rolling all over my squad. So I figured I'd go all in
Turr Phenrir
3x Royal Guard Tie - PtL
How does this squad fare? Would it be better with a 4th Royal Guard?

I haven't played them much before today, but I did manage to get a couple of practice games in today.
I used the 4 RG list, all with PtL.

In the first game I pretty much got destroyed.
In the second game, though, I was much more careful about where I ended each move, and managed to stay out of firing arcs more often. I used boost or barrel roll, and pushing the limit, a lot. We finally stopped after playing for about an hour or so. I had two fully healthy interceptors left, while my opponent was down to a Firespray with Kath.
It was a lot of fun, and this list is probably a list I'll try to play a lot more often.
If you want to play a list that puts a premium, and I mean a premium, on maneuvering, then some form of an interceptor list is the one to use.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
Royal PTL Stealth
Royal PTL Stealth
Royal PTL Stealth
Dark Curse

You can switch the stealths for hull, but I still highly recommend that you keep dark curse as dark curse and not change it into anything else like backstabber (maybe black sqd Wingman could be ok....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Parker
msg tools
For kicks, I ran a 5 Alpha (+3 Hull upgrades) at an Imdaar, nearly won it too. Can either go straight forward in formation, or spread out and flank from all angles. If you just want to get interceptors on the table its fun and not too complicated.

I think the well rounded interceptor list would be the 4 Royals+PTL (or the Dark Curse with 3 Hull upgrades). Lets you do all the fun PTL abilities that make interceptors fun. However, it is prone to getting an interceptor 1-shot, which definitely puts a damper on the fun. Also vulnerable to high PS squads like Wedge, Han, Soontir, etc.

For another challenge, you can try a decked out Soontir+Jax+Turr for a 3 Interceptor list. Spread around the defense upgrades and PTL (or VI on Turr). Note that you REALLY have to play the hit and run game, because losing one ship REALLY hurts. Doubt you can finish off a 100pts list in 60min without being risky, but the high PS helps greatly with the positioning game. Just go for the 12pt+ win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.