Myth» Forums » Reviews

Subject: My First (rather long winded) Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Suarez
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
This is my first review, so if it is a little off, please bear with me. I backed the Kickstarter for Myth at the Captain pledge level. It is my first backed project on Kickstarter. I received the game last week, and played this past weekend. On Friday we gathered, and played the Starting Quest, plus one additional 12x12 board. On Sunday, we gathered once more into the breach, and played Act 1 of the “No Rest for the Weary” story quest.

Rules: As anyone can see from the myriad threads, the rulebook is a bit of a mess. I downloaded and printed the PDF of the rules several weeks ago. I also printed the Hero deck reference, watched some of the videos, and followed the rules forums. Between all of the research, I felt I had a place to jump off of for the first game. Having a second copy of the rulebook at the table helped, and having the Hero deck reference at the table helped a lot. We made mistakes (some of them pretty big), especially in the Friday night game. Mercs has heard a lot concerning the rulebook, and is working on an updated version.

Components: First the good: The cards have a nice feel to them, though the text font on the smaller equipment cards is small. There was some slight warping of my hero boards, but nothing that cannot be fixed. The realm tiles are of very good quality, and have a nice look and feel to them. I am not a miniatures collector or painter, so appreciated that they came assembled. I know that this is not to everyone’s liking, and you may want to re-base some of the mini’s . That is a project I will not be undertaking. The tokens (and there are a lot of them) have a good weight to them, and punch easily. I like the artwork style, and think it adds to the flavor of the game.

I had three issues with the components. The first was on the realm tiles. There are red blue and purple designation lines on the tiles that are used to guide setup, and designate areas that cannot be crossed or block line of sight. Though I liked the art on the tiles, it made seeing the lines difficult. The red lines stand out pretty well, but the blue and purple ones are much harder to see. However, I will say that on Sunday’s game, we seemed to be able to see the lines better. This may have been because the light was better, or we knew what we were looking for. My second complaint was the number of minis included in the base game. At first I thought, there was more than enough, but once we were spawning and fighting we quickly were stealing mini’s from another game to use as stand-ins. (In the FAQ thread, there was no definitive answer on what to do when you are supposed to spawn, but are out of minis. Their recommendation is to use tokens for the additional figures). For kickstarter backers some of this will be solved when the second wave arrives. For Retail purchasers, this may be something to plan for. The last issue we had with the mini’s was that the Crawler (Bug guys) melee and range minions are VERY similar. They can be distinguished with different paints or ringing the base, but out of the box, it is tough to tell the two apart.

Theme: Here is where I think Myth really shines. There are five base characters that come with the game: Fighter, Archer, Apprentice (read Mage), Acolyte (read Cleric), and Brigand (read Thief). Each character has a Hero deck of cards that you use to interact with the realm. The characters are markedly different from each other. The fighter would charge into a swarm of minions confident that she could allow them to envelope, and she would turn the tables with a well-played “Harvest of Bones.” The archer patiently amassed arrows in his quiver to take out a lair in one shot of “Orion’s Tears,” or bring down a captain with a critical hit. The Brigand oozed in and out of shadows striking suddenly, and then running to safety (or dying pitifully on the 12x12 board on Friday night). The Acolyte healed, and buffed, and called fire from the skies watching and protecting. Note: we did not play the apprentice.

The characters supported each other, one person taking the lead and then backing off. This is due to a well-designed aspect of the game that well severely punish the group, if one character is deemed too much of a Threat to the Darkness. Trust me, you do NOT want to trigger the threat penalties. Even reading them made us uncomfortable.

The drawing of individual quest cards as you enter certain tiles adds to the theme (and a little to the confusion at first). The quests can chain together, and we found ourselves looking forward to finding how they might resolve. I especially liked how the quest chain can split depending if you succeed or fail at the quest.

Overall Conclusion: We really enjoyed this game. The game requires a lot of decision making on the part of the players on how to set up each tiles. We found ourselves talking about why there may be an additional lair on the tile, or what type of hunting pack would be in the area. The setting up became not just a chore, but part of the story of the game. Yes, Friday night was slow going at first, but when we played again on Sunday things went much smoother. You will need to do research before playing for the first time. I highly recommend reading the FAQ thread in the Rules forum, and printing the Hero deck reference information, but I think it is worth it. The goal of this little hobby of ours is to gather together with friends and have fun, to enjoy ourselves while playing a game. For our gaming group Myth accomplished this goal very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed reading your review. You've given me hope that I can make this game work for my group!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Baker
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
A good man's steps are ordered by the Lord
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.