Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
41 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Am I really the only one who got this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Or simply did none of you have the balls to thumb BJ's very amusing remark in the transgender thread?

Quote:

bjlillo wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:
Every time I try to sell [Napoleon's Triumph] Rusty crushes me under the weight of his scornful mockery.

Yep, and now you'll have to endure Chad's mockery for being an anti-tranny bigot if you sell it.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you really make a thread that serves no purpose other than being a 2nd thumb for a post in a different thread? You get an A+ for content, but F for reading comprehension (as people replied to and quoted his post).

FWIW, "tranny" is a slur and usually accompanies violence or threat of violence.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mb
I realize "tranny" is a slur, and I'm certain BJ realizes it as well. A good portion of the humor in that line stems from toying with that realization.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
No, he made it to make a point that he is the ultimate arbiter of what is funny. The self-styled connoisseur of sophisticated humor.

Okay, I couldn't even type that with a straight face.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mb
I'm more interested in who will come out and say "No, it's not funny. It's rude and hurtful." Because that sheds light on things.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
garygarison wrote:
I'm more interested in who will come out and say "No, it's not funny. It's rude and hurtful." Because that sheds light on things.


Of course you are. Have fun! Waves goodbye.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
My brilliance is often wasted on the wretched hive scum and villainy that hang out in this despicable place.


FYP
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
I'm more interested in who will come out and say "No, it's not funny. It's rude and hurtful." Because that sheds light on things.


Ok I thought it was a mildly amusing comment if you were in the "IN CROWD" of RSP enough to "get it".

However since it was in a thread that with a seriously emotionally charged topic that was likely to end up attracting a lot of Non-"in crowd" attention, it was potentially confusing and likely unwise of BJ to post, in that there were people who were NOT going to get the joke and take it as some kind of confusing but serious slur/comment.

Therefore I didn't thumb it.

In a similar situation if I want to make that kind of "in joke" I end to make them via geekmail to specific individuals OR make it very clear I am joking via spoiler boxes or a smilie of some sort.

Because in my personal view, a few people getting a laugh isn't worth potentially hurting others who aren't going to "get" the humor or even that the comment isn't really isn't aimed at them at all.

But those are my standards. I love BJ even though I sometimes question his humor judgement. Just like I love you even though your humor standards are so VERY VERY different than mine that we might as well be from entirely different cultures. kissshake

9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mb
she2 wrote:
garygarison wrote:
I'm more interested in who will come out and say "No, it's not funny. It's rude and hurtful." Because that sheds light on things.


Of course you are. Have fun! Waves goodbye.

Oh, don't leave. Can we use this pointless thread as a segue into the recent controversy over Stephen Colbert's humanitarian efforts toward my beloved Orientals? I didn't notice any discussion on that here in RSP.


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Meerkat wrote:
However since it was in a thread that with a seriously emotionally charged topic that was likely to end up attracting a lot of Non-"in crowd" attention, it was potentially confusing and likely unwise of BJ to post, in that there were people who were NOT going to get the joke and take it as some kind of confusing but serious slur/comment.

Therefore I didn't thumb it.

Which brings up the question which is the more charitable way to interpret BJ's comment when struggling with the ambiguity. To give him the benefit of the doubt? Or to assume the worst?

I'll make the case that you of all people, Lynette, serve the community best by thumbing the thing. Doing so steers those unfortunates not as keyed in as yourself in the direction of a more correct judgment.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
garygarison wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
However since it was in a thread that with a seriously emotionally charged topic that was likely to end up attracting a lot of Non-"in crowd" attention, it was potentially confusing and likely unwise of BJ to post, in that there were people who were NOT going to get the joke and take it as some kind of confusing but serious slur/comment.

Therefore I didn't thumb it.

Which brings up the question which is the more charitable way to interpret BJ's comment when struggling with the ambiguity. To give him the benefit of the doubt? Or to assume the worst?

I'll make the case that you of all people, Lynette, serve the community best by thumbing the thing. Doing so steers those unfortunates not as keyed in as yourself in the direction of a more correct judgment.


Clearly the best thing you all can do is to thumb each of my posts and maybe even tip them just to be safe. If you don't do that, you're making sure that people's feelings get hurt and misunderstandings abound. You certainly don't want that sort of guilt hanging over your head, do you?


I'd thumb this, but I do want you to be misunderstood too.

Dilemma, Dilemma.
8 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
garygarison wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
However since it was in a thread that with a seriously emotionally charged topic that was likely to end up attracting a lot of Non-"in crowd" attention, it was potentially confusing and likely unwise of BJ to post, in that there were people who were NOT going to get the joke and take it as some kind of confusing but serious slur/comment.

Therefore I didn't thumb it.

Which brings up the question which is the more charitable way to interpret BJ's comment when struggling with the ambiguity. To give him the benefit of the doubt? Or to assume the worst?

I'll make the case that you of all people, Lynette, serve the community best by thumbing the thing. Doing so steers those unfortunates not as keyed in as yourself in the direction of a more correct judgment.


Oh Gary, if only you gave other people the benefit of the doubt and just didn't assume we must* have found BJ's comment rude and hurtful, then maybe we would have something to talk about.

*so that there'd actually be something to discuss here...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
However since it was in a thread that with a seriously emotionally charged topic that was likely to end up attracting a lot of Non-"in crowd" attention, it was potentially confusing and likely unwise of BJ to post, in that there were people who were NOT going to get the joke and take it as some kind of confusing but serious slur/comment.

Therefore I didn't thumb it.

Which brings up the question which is the more charitable way to interpret BJ's comment when struggling with the ambiguity. To give him the benefit of the doubt? Or to assume the worst?

I'll make the case that you of all people, Lynette, serve the community best by thumbing the thing. Doing so steers those unfortunates not as keyed in as yourself in the direction of a more correct judgment.


1) Again to the non "in-crowd" I have no more meaning and can provide no more insight by just a thumb than BJ's reputation for humor itself does. Which if anybody hung around here much they would realize themselves that comment was entirely about "humor" and not at all a slam. Like many of his comments on many topics.

2) Now toss in that maybe on a different topic to lurkers or some people my reputation weight "might" give them pause to re-look for "humor" if they were unsure of BJ's intent. However I think you greatly over-estimate my standing here, especially on "this" topic. I am pretty sure that to about 20% of regulars who don't see any middle ground on this topic I am seen as just as "anti-gay" as Jay or BJ are (which btw isn't as anti-gay as others like to paint them to begin with, I know some genuinely anti-gay people and BJ/Jay are nothing like them ... but I digress) And those regulars say things to that effect fairly often, so I am not considered to be gay friendly by default. Exactly the opposite often, I am seen as part of that religious nut crowd who wants to discriminate against/bash gays. Which would make any approval I give to a joke just a further muddying of the waters when this is the issue at hand.


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
I'm more interested in who will come out and say "No, it's not funny. It's rude and hurtful." Because that sheds light on things.

Me. I am a fan of bearers of light.

If it had been someone other than BJ, I would have thought, "wow, what an asshole." Instead I thought, "dude, not cool." I don't really see any struggle with ambiguity or whatever, or "toying with the realization" that he just deliberately used a slur.

Othila wrote:
Did you really make a thread that serves no purpose other than being a 2nd thumb for a post in a different thread?

No, it was so that he could use "transgender" and "did none of you have the balls" in the same sentence. Not in the mood to thumb that, either.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mb
she2 wrote:
Oh Gary, if only you gave other people the benefit of the doubt and just didn't assume we must* have found BJ's comment rude and hurtful, then maybe we would have something to talk about.

*so that there'd actually be something to discuss here...

Then I'm the one that needs setting straight. Please, set!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mb
kuhrusty wrote:
Othila wrote:
Did you really make a thread that serves no purpose other than being a 2nd thumb for a post in a different thread?

No, it was so that he could use "transgender" and "did none of you have the balls" in the same sentence. Not in the mood to thumb that, either.

And "BJ". Don't forget that marvelous serendipity.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
I would have thought, "wow, what an asshole." Instead I thought, "dude, not cool."

To elaborate on that: I like BJ, so I choose to believe that he wouldn't make fun of or think less of a person for being transsexual any more than he would for being black. When he throws around the language of people who do, that's harder, but still not impossible.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought we were talking about car parts...?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
garygarison wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
However since it was in a thread that with a seriously emotionally charged topic that was likely to end up attracting a lot of Non-"in crowd" attention, it was potentially confusing and likely unwise of BJ to post, in that there were people who were NOT going to get the joke and take it as some kind of confusing but serious slur/comment.

Therefore I didn't thumb it.

Which brings up the question which is the more charitable way to interpret BJ's comment when struggling with the ambiguity. To give him the benefit of the doubt? Or to assume the worst?

I'll make the case that you of all people, Lynette, serve the community best by thumbing the thing. Doing so steers those unfortunates not as keyed in as yourself in the direction of a more correct judgment.


Clearly the best thing you all can do is to thumb each of my posts and maybe even tip them just to be safe. If you don't do that, you're making sure that people's feelings get hurt and misunderstandings abound. You certainly don't want that sort of guilt hanging over your head, do you?


looks like someone is begging for fantasy football geekgold....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hipster Gary got the joke before it was cool?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
My brilliance is often wasted on the wretched scum and villainys that hang out in this despicable place.
FIFY
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Well Lynette, that's just because you're a better person than I am. You actually consider other people's feelings before attempting to engage in humor. I'm not wired that way.
Who would have guessed?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Iniguez
United States
Idaho Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
When did tranny become a slur?

I give up. I mentioned a couple years ago that I got chewed out in real life for having absolutely no idea "oriental" was a slur. I reject your PC notions as unabashed attempts to discredit people who are otherwise not discreditable.

http://fairbanks.craigslist.org/search/ppp?zoomToPosting=&ca...=

Out of curiosity I searched the local craigslist (which is pretty quiet compared to many towns this size) and found 2 trannies refer to themselves as such.

I call bullshit.


It is kinda like referring to yourself and your friends as niggas, it is only OK if you are black.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sutehk wrote:


It is kinda like referring to yourself and your friends as niggas, it is only OK if you are black.


Not in my experience. It hasn't been reclaimed nearly to that extent, or to the extent "queer" has. I have never heard a trans girl use it without the utmost irony.

Koldfoot wrote:
When did tranny become a slur?

I give up. I mentioned a couple years ago that I got chewed out in real life for having absolutely no idea "oriental" was a slur. I reject your PC notions as unabashed attempts to discredit people who are otherwise not discreditable.

http://fairbanks.craigslist.org/search/ppp?zoomToPosting=&ca...=

Out of curiosity I searched the local craigslist (which is pretty quiet compared to many towns this size) and found 2 trannies refer to themselves as such.

I call bullshit.


Craigslist personals are not known to be frequented by people with lots of self respect. Check OKcupid or Fetlife or any more upstanding dating service and you won't see trans girls calling themselves "trannies". Ask any even marginally self-respecting trans person and they will tell you it's a slur.

You can be a smug ass and disagree, because of course you're not the one that gets called names and faces violence, rape, arrest (and detainment in wrong-gender facilities), etc. But you're wrong.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
When did tranny become a slur?

I give up. I mentioned a couple years ago that I got chewed out in real life for having absolutely no idea "oriental" was a slur. I reject your PC notions as unabashed attempts to discredit people who are otherwise not discreditable.

http://fairbanks.craigslist.org/search/ppp?zoomToPosting=&ca...=

Out of curiosity I searched the local craigslist (which is pretty quiet compared to many towns this size) and found 2 trannies refer to themselves as such.

I call bullshit.

Not surprising since you've used 'faggot' as a slur in the past in RSP.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.