One Night Ultimate Werewolf» Forums » Variants

Subject: No Vote for the Minion/Tanner? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
What's fair got to do with it?

Besides, why do you void the current Tanner's vote, and no the player who think (s)he's Tanner? Because you can't be sure...

If you don't like how Tanner can make everyone lose, do not include it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
This is so rarely an issue it's not worth thinking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it this way for a long time.
Why not? It's a very simple change that doesn't really upset the balance, and handles some pretty bad edge cases. Just because they are rare doesn't mean we shouldn't consider them (especially if the fix is simple)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Reaser
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
If you don't like how Tanner can make everyone lose, do not include it.

I have to agree. The Tanner and Minion are very special roles meant for sowing confusion and heightening the stakes. I would recommend that anybody who doesn't like including the roles without modifying the rules should just leave them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Marcus Schaefer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I realize what the purpose of these roles are, but I think that it may be a bit ridiculous that even if everyone realizes what's going on (i.e. everyone's a villager except for the tanner, or there's a minion with no werewolves), wouldn't it just make more sense for their votes not to count?

I understand that this is an uncommon situation to happen, but I don't think that the village team should be punished just by the fact that the draw was unfortunate. The Minion can still try to convince people that there are werewolves to try and win, but ultimately I don't believe that leaving it as is is the best solution.

(Made new account since old email expired)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder One Night Ultimate Werewolf now from www.beziergames.com
badge
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
mbmbmbmbmb
As always, you can play with any house rules you'd like. However, the reason those rules exist are still solid.

First, if everyone knows there's a Tanner and a bunch of villagers, the Tanner is not a good Tanner. Even if the Seer "saw" two werewolves in the middle, the Tanner can turn that around (the Seer is lying, he isn't the Seer, He's the other werewolf 'cause I saw him open his eyes, etc.).

Second, the Minion situation when it really happens is unfortunate. But here's the thing...everyone loses if the Minion dies. So the Minion still has to prevent that from happening. It's not a done deal. The village still has to figure out who the minion is so he doesn't win.

The more you play ONUW, the more you'll realize why these winning conditions exist. And the more you play ONUW, the more you'll have the opportunity to convince everyone else in the village that one of the two scenarios above is the case, when of course it's anything but that. *that* is where things get really interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheAtheistPianist wrote:

I understand that this is an uncommon situation to happen, but I don't think that the village team should be punished just by the fact that the draw was unfortunate. The Minion can still try to convince people that there are werewolves to try and win, but ultimately I don't believe that leaving it as is is the best solution.

Yeah, I completely agree. It's annoying that there are draws that the village just cannot win, even if they are rare. If we can prevent those scenarios with small rules tweaks, why wouldn't we?

The rule tweaks don't really alter the strategies or the way anyone plays the game - if the Minion or Tanner is bad, they are still going to lose, they just can't bring down the whole village with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.