Subject: Capture by building a tower allowed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Gittins
England
Billingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone help with this situation as it came up and we were unsure what to do....

If when you take control of an area and then build your tower anywhere within that area it results in what would be considered a capture move can you take an opponents piece away straight after constructing your tower?

we decided that it was o.k but were unsure, any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos F.
Spain
Valladolid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think no.

A piece is captured if it is trapped between:
d) an enemy viking and an enemy tower.
Figs. 1,2: the fixed supporting piece could be either a tower or a viking.

So, the tower must be previously present and cannot be the "active" part of the capture.(Bold and underline to add emphasis)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karl69 wrote:
I think no.

A piece is captured if it is trapped between:
d) an enemy viking and an enemy tower.
Figs. 1,2: the fixed supporting piece could be either a tower or a viking.

So, the tower must be previously present and cannot be the "active" part of the capture.(Bold and underline to add emphasis)

After thinking about it thematically in this very abstract game, I agree with you and think it should probably be illegal. Still I can't agree with you that the rules support it being illegal, it is to ambiguous for me.

I can't see from what is written where that situation clashes with the rules. I don't see how the tower must be previously present. It just reads that the fixed supporting piece can be either tower or a Viking, which it is, its a Viking.

Any rules lawyers about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos F.
Spain
Valladolid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a catch can only be due to the movement of a Viking. Towers, once placed, can not be moved. So once in place only act as a support. But is only my thinking.

The rules do not mention this particular case. Therefore it is not prohibited.

I understand why you think so, because the rules just say "A piece is captured if it is trapped between an enemy viking and an enemy tower".
And in this case, that happens.

I'll negotiate with my opponents before start playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Mooney
United States
Troy
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I realize this thread is old, but after reading the rules again I feel like you CAN make a capture with the setting of the castle. Since there are no enemies in the territory (required in order to set a castle), the placement of the castle or tower would need to be adjacent the border and an existing condition of the enemy piece then the your piece in the adjacent territory on the other side of the border. This would result in a capture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.