Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently funded a full 4-player ANR draft. It was great. But now it's over and I'm looking at a pile of 320 cards (from a pool of only 169 different types) sitting on my table that cost me about $80.00. It turns out, they're not all that useful to me for the following reasons:

1. I own 2x Core Sets and every data pack. Even the extra SanSan in the drafted cards isn't all that necessary.

2. There are no standard playable cards here that can only be obtained via Draft Packs (Hooray for LCGs. Seriously, I'm glad this is the case).

3. There are no alt-art versions of existing cards (I'm beginning to think this was a mistake on FFG's part.)

So I'm trying to figure out how to gain more mileage out of these cards. My first idea is to "redraft" them; have another draft with the exact same pile of cards. I didn't record the composition of the 32 boosters, but I should get a pretty decent draft experience by just mixing the cards up and making truly random boosters out of them. It should all just kind of even out, shouldn't it?

Assuming you can "redraft" used Draft Packs, another thing to do would be to set up trades of used drafting blocks. My "used" 4-player full draft block (4x Runner Draft cards and 4x Corp draft cards = 320 cards total) for your "used" 4-player full draft block.

And finally, again assuming used draft blocks can be redrafted, I thought about selling it. What would you pay for something like that? $80 MSRP for $40?

I really enjoy the whole drafting thing, but it seems to be a bit too expensive especially considering that the cards, post-draft, aren't as useful as I thought they would be to a completionist. I would love for this format to succeed, but I'm wondering if this little experiment by FFG is doomed to fail. How many of you have or plan to purchase official Draft Packs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if everyone in your group was sharing in the costs, it wouldn't seem so onerous. For one person, $80 is definitely a tough sum to swallow for one night's entertainment.

If recycling the batch isn't palatable, I would think you could resell the batch as a single lot on eBay or BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah...I was just about to edit my post regarding that.

I know that for the money I spent, I could have been involved in 4 different drafts. However, I was really excited about the whole thing as I have never done anything like it before. I knew three other people who were ANR players, but not particularly interested in drafting, so the only way it was going to happen was if I supplied the cards. I did it without any regrets.

(Truth be told, one guy went halfsies with me, but I didn't want to complicate the original post.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobin Lopes
United States
Thornton
Dark Side of the Moon
flag msg tools
Serving the Emperor since 1971
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't need the funds you might consider giving them to new players who haven't completely gotten the bug yet. Under the idea that the first fewhits are free.

-tpl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Cube draft, man, all the way. Redraft them using the pattern being worked out in this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1067800/draft-pack-algorithm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I if FFG doesn't start doing something like alt art for draft events, I see no reason not to do cube drafting forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could...

-build some basic decks to teach new players with.

-paint on them (if you have artistic skills) and make cool alternate art cards.

-Sell 'em on eBay (maybe)

-Use them as bookmarks

-Put 'em on your wall (like posters, but smaller)

-Punch a hole in 'em and put 'em on a lanyard as a necklace.

-Donate 'em to a thrift store

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
hoobajoo wrote:
Honestly I if FFG doesn't start doing something like alt art for draft events, I see no reason not to do cube drafting forever.

I reckoned someone in marketing figured that given the size of the existing player base, adding draft to Netrunner would spur a lot of buys as people already invested in the game want to try drafts as well.

Given the weird algorithm FFG use to put packs together, it's evident that they didn't want this to be replayable without every participant marking down the composition of the pack they open, before they draft from it.

I can't tell just how different the drafting meta is, or if it's interesting enough to support cube drafting. Designing a cube takes a lot of balancing to keep it interesting over time. Archetypes form quite quickly with a limited card pool like that, so building a versatile cube is where it's at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using Magic drafting as a model, I'm guessing the players keep the cards they drafted. Typically everyone buys their own packs in a draft, so doing a full draft of Cyber War would be $20 or $25 per player, a half draft would be $10 or $15. The players don't necessarily keep the cards they bought, but they keep their decks after they drafted and played, to integrate into their collections.

If the drafters are seasons ANR players with all their data packs and deluxes, this may not matter much; for new ANR players this may mean a lot.

I guess you can also sell your cards to Team Covenant or something; I've gotten a few SanSans and Grimoires and other desirable core set one-ofs, maybe there's a new aftermarket for these cards now.

Also, a friend and I got some draft packs to analyse for posterity, and the algorithm FFG uses isn't weird! There's actually a distinct patter to how each "booster" within a pack is built. Knowing this, you can shuffle up your old draft cards into new packs and draft again!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsF05OMFWX6DdDJ...

Each booster in a Runner draft pack is made up of:
-Icebreaker
-Event
-Non-breaker Program
-Hardware
-Resource
-5 cards of any type

Corp boosters look like:
-Agenda
-3 Ice
-Upgrade OR Asset
-Operation
-4 cards of any type

Build four consecutive boosters to make a draft pack. So shuffle up all the Icebreakers, deal them out face-down to 16 piles (4 boosters X 4 packs) and keep the leftovers; do the same for Events, Non-breaker Programs, Hardware, then Resources. Then shuffle the leftovers again into one big pile, and deal 5 to each pile. Combine 4 piles to make a draft pack, et le voilĂ ! You're ready to draft again, same cards but in a different but still playable mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(PS: If anyone wants to add their draft packs to our spreadsheet, we'd appreciate the new info =) Send me a Geekmail and I can give you access)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin White
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a bit late to solve the original problem, but this is a clever idea I read from a team practicing for drafts in other CCGs that didn't want to keep buying booster boxes every time but wanted the correct selection of cards. Take a pack's worth of identical sleeves and mark them with the same marking. A number would work just fine. Without looking at the cards, sleeve a pack in these sleeves and draft. After the draft is over collect all the cards with the same marking and reassemble a pack. The next time you want to draft you can reuse these packs and still have the same frequency of cards.

You'd probably want to mix them up and add new draft packs on occasion but it's much cheaper than continually buying new in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wheelockian wrote:
...for one person, $80 is definitely a tough sum to swallow for one night's entertainment...

Depends on the entertainment.

I'm looking forward to draft tournaments, but yeah, I think we're all going to end up with a bunch of cards we don't want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold off the data packs which I don't get much value from (e.g. I only need 1 copy of Government Contracts from ASiS out of the entire card list), so I try to obtain that card through drafts).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swankidelic wrote:

Each booster in a Runner draft pack is made up of:
-Icebreaker
-Event
-Non-breaker Program
-Hardware
-Resource
-5 cards of any type

Corp boosters look like:
-Agenda
-3 Ice
-Upgrade OR Asset
-Operation
-4 cards of any type

Thanks for this. I just reassembled all of the Datapacks using this algorithm. It took me all of 15 minutes. I know it doesn't account for rarities (i.e. Some "boosters" might end up with too many rare cards), but I don't think that will change things very much. Also, thanks to the user-friendly packaging FFG went with, it was very easy to put everything into the original packaging; it made my OCD feel good.

I realize the experience won't be quite as exciting as the first time through with the same draft block. I paid enough attention to the breakers people were running and what the important cards were to have a better idea of what to grab, but I'm hoping it'll still be loads of fun. I'll report back with the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe P
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you might want to look at other draft formats than the standard "pick 1 pass the rest" draft.

if you didn't want to re-build the boosters, you could do a Solomon, Winston or Queue draft. it might be interesting to do a dual Queue draft with both Corp and Runner decks at the same time.

link for Queue draft (it talks about V:tes, but easily could be adapted for A:NR)
http://games-blog.pairodicegames.com/game-articles/dual-queu...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
I realize the experience won't be quite as exciting as the first time through with the same draft block. I paid enough attention to the breakers people were running and what the important cards were to have a better idea of what to grab, but I'm hoping it'll still be loads of fun. I'll report back with the results.

Well, unfortunately the card pool for Cyber War is a little on the slim side. You'll see 90% of the pool in one draft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trade away extras of cards you drafted that you don't need here! Android: Netrunner Spare Parts Trade List

(In my first and last draft event, I went around and traded with everybody afterward.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swankidelic wrote:
mbialeck wrote:

Well, unfortunately the card pool for Cyber War is a little on the slim side. You'll see 90% of the pool in one draft.

Are you suggesting that if I bought 4 brand new Draft Packs for the Runner and Corporation that it will lead to a very similar experience to what I already had?

Has anybody been involved in more than one different drafting event? What was your experience?

If that's the case, I'll just keep redrafting the set I have and wait until the next "Draft Cycle" before buying new draft packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say it would be very similar. The distribution of cards would have a huge impact on the tournament. One draft could be low on decent breakers, or another draft could be low on economy cards, that sort of thing. Getting additional draft packs won't let you see *new* cards, but I think there's at least a bit of value in the new combinations and distributions.

That said, I hope the next "draft cycle" has a larger pool. I wouldn't mind if it was not only Creation & Control + Spin, but also still included Genesis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.