United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What we know:

http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/content/d-day/

1.) Six pre-printed Battle Maps, each 13x23 hexes: American Airborne, Utah Beach, Omaha Beach, Gold Beach, Juno Beach and Sword Beach

2.) New rules: Reinforcements & Terrain Control rules

3.) New troops: Supported Infantry & Supported Armor

4.) Several game modes: Double-Map (OverThrough), Triple-Map and Ultimate Six-Map battles

My thoughts...

1 - Nice to see new battle maps... When will the scenario editor be updated?

2 - Do we need more rules? Will we see more evolution to the system? Maybe a 2.0/advanced rules? Will these new rules be better implemented than the Air Rules?

3 - New troops? More like new rules and tokens (as seen from the image) no new miniatures. Will there be new compendium cards for these new troop types?

4 - New modes... hmmm... Not very feasible for the majority of M'44 owners. Yes, some will be able to field the entire operation in one setting but the majority of owners I feel will only be able to run 1 or 2 concurrent maps.

So what is the motivating factor for buying this expansion?
Why should I buy it?
What value will it add to the collection?

There are no new miniatures or cards included (as of yet). So at $35 it is not cost prohibitive but is the "value add" worth it for the collection?

If this is the only product DoW has for the D-Day anniversary or the 10th anniversary for the game I find it disappointing... I am happy to see something for M'44 but am disappointed in the offering. If DoW has a focus group or product consulting team they've missed the mark on this one... Is there a rabbit hiding in the hat? I can only hope there is something unannounced that will add value to the products already released.

Come on DoW.... Wow me on this anniversary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also a little disappointed. However my favorite way to play is breakthrough but setup time is a bear. Having 6 preprinted breakthrough maps will be really nice and worth it for me.

The extra rules will just be icing on the cake, but I do hope they are better than the air rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
...So what is the motivating factor for buying this expansion?

It's there... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Likely, waiting for the product to be released and seeing some reviews will be helpful in guiding your purchase decision. Although you have some questions, no one other than designers or playtesters have any more answers than you do at the moment. Also, what Days of Wonder releases is already determined. While you might wish for something more impressive than what you've determined about the upcoming release, I'm sure you also know that the contents or production level of this release are set in stone (and has been for some time). Although there's nothing wrong with expressing your trepidation, asking Days of Wonder to impress you isn't actually going to change anything about the release itself.

Just keep in mind that you don't need to make a purchase decision now. This isn't something like X-Wing or Robinson Crusoe that's going to be initially in short supply or only available for a short time. Wait for some reviews and I think you'll get some very concrete answers to your questions then. If you're disappointed by the product once you have your answers, well, you can feel better about passing on it or detailing the reasons why you're disappointed then. But it's hard for us to join in with you on any kind of informed discussion just yet, because most of us only know what you know so far.
(Edited for grammar)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard D
Canada
Bonnyville
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:

If this is the only product DoW has for the D-Day anniversary or the 10th anniversary for the game I find it disappointing...

My thoughts exactly ... meh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Nieuwkoop
Netherlands
Klundert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sure love this expansion even though it's not available yet.

Playing 2 vs 2, 4 vs 4 or even 6 vs 6 gives a lot of opions to play. The pre-printed maps save setup time so there is more time to play .

I understand people are a little bit dissapointed and hoped for something different but this expansion makes sence to me.
It combines many other expansion into a single game experience. Maybe it will not attract new players, but there are most of the other expansions for. As a "veteran" I and the rest of my memoirgroup really want to have and play this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
antoi wrote:
I sure love this expansion even though it's not available yet.

Playing 2 vs 2, 4 vs 4 or even 6 vs 6 gives a lot of opions to play. The pre-printed maps save setup time so there is more time to play .

I understand people are a little bit dissapointed and hoped for something different but this expansion makes sence to me.
It combines many other expansion into a single game experience. Maybe it will not attract new players, but there are most of the other expansions for. As a "veteran" I and the rest of my memoirgroup really want to have and play this!

Bravo, very true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whither M44? As an older gamer with an MA in History, I'd like to see different possible but more obscure topics like the Japan/China War, Norway, and etc. I've played the so far not issued hypothetical Operation Olympic (1945 invasion of Japan) with Richard Borg at one of his convention events--and won as the Japanese C-in-C, which is about as hypothetical as it gets! But for most introductory U.S. gamers, WWII is D-Day. This allows us to finally see the whole thing on the table at once, and play with any number of opponents for only $35.

DOW is a small company that gave up Battle Lore, to our eternal regret, now that FFG has 'rebooted' it. I'm happy DOW hasn't forgotten M44. Let's hope it will continue the line in the future, even without anniversaries to possibly boost sales. I'm sure Mr. Borg and his gang play with expansions undreamed of by us humble consumers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Stone
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely could do with some new compendium cards for the new troop types, actions and revised terrain. Pity they're not included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Oord
Netherlands
SNAKKERBUREN
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MUST BUY!

I was not very excited at first, but after we played some scenario's I'm impressed. Large breakthrough maps are interesting, and the product is nice to hold and to have in collection.

Do you have a memoir collection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron H
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
I play Memor 44,Tide of Iron, and Axis and Allies:1942!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laundry wrote:
MUST BUY!

I was not very excited at first, but after we played some scenario's I'm impressed. Large breakthrough maps are interesting, and the product is nice to hold and to have in collection.

Do you have a memoir collection?

I have everything but the bag, I thought that was overpriced!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.