Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

A Study in Emerald» Forums » Rules

Subject: Revealing to keep Sherlock rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Watson
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume this does not end the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope! You are correct!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dwwatson wrote:
I assume this does not end the game.


One of the end game conditions is if you DIE and reveal as Restorationist.

Although revealing as Restorationist to keep Sherlock could potentially end the game as you would then have the full counting of the Revolution Track added to your score.

So .. maybe, maybe not. But never just because of your reveal on it's own.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:
dwwatson wrote:
I assume this does not end the game.


One of the end game conditions is if you DIE and reveal as Restorationist.

Although revealing as Restorationist to keep Sherlock could potentially end the game as you would then have the full counting of the Revolution Track added to your score.

So .. maybe, maybe not. But never just because of your reveal on it's own.


One of the game end conditions is ALSO revealing your affiliation and showing that you could end the game with as-yet-unscored pointage.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hanibalicious wrote:
mmesich wrote:
dwwatson wrote:
I assume this does not end the game.


One of the end game conditions is if you DIE and reveal as Restorationist.

Although revealing as Restorationist to keep Sherlock could potentially end the game as you would then have the full counting of the Revolution Track added to your score.

So .. maybe, maybe not. But never just because of your reveal on it's own.


One of the game end conditions is ALSO revealing your affiliation and showing that you could end the game with as-yet-unscored pointage.


That's as an action, though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:
hanibalicious wrote:
mmesich wrote:
dwwatson wrote:
I assume this does not end the game.


One of the end game conditions is if you DIE and reveal as Restorationist.

Although revealing as Restorationist to keep Sherlock could potentially end the game as you would then have the full counting of the Revolution Track added to your score.

So .. maybe, maybe not. But never just because of your reveal on it's own.


One of the game end conditions is ALSO revealing your affiliation and showing that you could end the game with as-yet-unscored pointage.


That's as an action, though.
If you reveal yourself as a Restorationist to prevent another player from getting your Holmes (through Double Agent), you will adjust your visible VP accordingly as an open Restorationist (p. 8).

The game will immediately end if your adjusted VP cross the end-game mark (see p. 10). All other players will now reveal their loyalties and everyone (including Holmes's master) will adjust their VPs.

This is one way to actively (by your choice as a Restorationist) end the game on another player's turn.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that not what I said?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bamber Loizou
United Kingdom
Birmingham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
You only end the game if you reveal as an action during your own turn. When revealing to keep Holmes during another player's turn you do not adjust the victory track at that stage. The rules are pretty clear about this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bamber Loizou
United Kingdom
Birmingham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
bamloiz wrote:
You only end the game if you reveal as an action during your own turn. When revealing to keep Holmes during another player's turn you do not adjust the victory track at that stage. The rules are pretty clear about this.


Apologies, page 8, as someone has already indicated, does go on to state that revealing does adjust your VPs, so it is logical that this could trigger game end - we'll spotted!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I;m a little confused on this rule and was just going to post a new thread when I spotted this... So I think I understand the whole double agent thing...to gain control of agents to be used for a number of things. However, I thought the rules said that when you reveal your identity then you are causing the game to end. But when either Holmes or Moriarity is about to be stolen, a player can reveal their identity in order to hang on to the corresponding agent (resto for Holmes, Loyal for Moriarity).

I guess what I'm confused on is when does revealing your identity end the game and when doesn't it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus O'Toole
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
I;m a little confused on this rule and was just going to post a new thread when I spotted this... So I think I understand the whole double agent thing...to gain control of agents to be used for a number of things. However, I thought the rules said that when you reveal your identity then you are causing the game to end. But when either Holmes or Moriarity is about to be stolen, a player can reveal their identity in order to hang on to the corresponding agent (resto for Holmes, Loyal for Moriarity).

I guess what I'm confused on is when does revealing your identity end the game and when doesn't it?

Revealing your identity never causes the game to end.
Sometimes the game can end at the same time someone's identity is revealed, but the revealing and the game ending would both have another cause (usually the same cause).
So if you assassinate a players main agent and that player was a restorationist the game ends. It doesn't end because he revealed his loyalty, it ends because a restorationist's main agent was assassinated.
If you take the action to declare your identity and adjust your points, the game doesn't end because your identity is revealed but because your total points is known to be above the threshold for the game end condition.

Hope that helps. I find it clearer to think of it that way. Feel free to ignore this if you don't agree.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok ok so the actual action of REVEALING who you are does not end the game in itself...I think thats where I interpreted it incorrectly. So I'm thinking NOW that throughout the game it really doesn't benefit a player to reveal who they are and then continue playing through the game. You would only want to reveal your identity in a situation where you think you could win the game.

Maybe I just don't fully understand the impact of letting everyone know what side you're on. How dangerous is that exactly?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
Ok ok so the actual action of REVEALING who you are does not end the game in itself...I think thats where I interpreted it incorrectly. So I'm thinking NOW that throughout the game it really doesn't benefit a player to reveal who they are and then continue playing through the game. You would only want to reveal your identity in a situation where you think you could win the game.

Maybe I just don't fully understand the impact of letting everyone know what side you're on. How dangerous is that exactly?


It's not so much dangerous as it gives everyone information about where they stand in terms of winning the game. Remember that victory points will vary based on whether you're a loyalist or restorationist. Revealing your identity basically tells everyone exactly how many victory points you've got.

-Tom
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
Ok ok so the actual action of REVEALING who you are does not end the game in itself...I think thats where I interpreted it incorrectly. So I'm thinking NOW that throughout the game it really doesn't benefit a player to reveal who they are and then continue playing through the game. You would only want to reveal your identity in a situation where you think you could win the game.

Maybe I just don't fully understand the impact of letting everyone know what side you're on. How dangerous is that exactly?
\

You can ONLY use the action to reveal yourself if the resulting points you achieve would end the game.

There are only a few circumstances where your identity would be fully revealed mid-game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok i think it makes sense now. I think if i were the one who designed the rulebook i would thoroughly explain the scoring and endgame situatioms before the rest of the game. It seems to put things into perspective better. Im just trying to piece it all together so i can teach it to others more effectively. This is a game that sounds like an amazing experience.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
This is a game that sounds like an amazing experience.


Truth!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.