Subject: Official FAQs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah ...
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this question I’m going to be referencing Takenoko, but I’m not asking specifically about that game just using it as an example.

I had a question about Takenoko, which was answered and was also linked to the official faq to the game. At the time I just read the part about my question that was already answered. But today, I decided to read the whole faq since it wasn’t that long but I was fairly confident I had been playing the game correctly. Only to find out a pretty major rule was changed from the rule book in this faq (and an official faq from the game’s designer). According to the directions you get two actions a turn and you choose both of those actions and then you can do them in any order ... According to the faq you still get two actions, however you take one action and after taking it can then select your second action (which I’m not a huge fan of). Then according to most of the discussions for Takenoko most people claim you are playing incorrectly if you’re not following my faq ...

So here is my question (or questions) ... are you playing a game incorrectly if you play by the rules but don’t follow an official game faq? Or would it be sort of correct to play either way? Also, how was I suppose to know about this rule change ... Whenever you buy a game do you look to see if there are any rule changes posted by the designer or do you just go by the rule book and don’t do research to see if anything is different? Or do you only look into it if you have a question about a rule? And if you do always look up to see if any official rule changes exist how long do you have to keep looking (especially for a newer game)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how it's critical unless you're playing in an organized competitive environment, in which case it's your responsibility to be tracking this stuff.

For casual play, it's sufficient that everybody agrees on what the rules are, whether or not that conforms to a FAQ or errata. I tend to look for a FAQ only when I need to resolve some rules ambiguity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm generally an FAQ/errata/whatever fan when they are official. FAQs usually are answered because the original rule was either imprecise or led to unintended game consequences. The FAQs are chosen and answered so as to aide in playing the game. I usually look for such errata...but then many of my games are from the higher complexity end of the scale and they almost always have them, many times inserted as an extra in the original package. I look as soon as I get a new game and then thereafter only when I come across some situation that seems unclear.

That said, I agree with Stephen: it's only a big deal in a competitive environment or when you're playing someone from outside your circle. You're just bound to have a disagreement if you're not all starting with the same rule set.

I think it's bad form to whip out an FAQ if the other players were completely unaware that they existed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If everyone knows the same rules, and the rules are consistently applied, whatever works. If it's the same for everyone, and they're all aware of it, a rule won't give any more of an advantage (in most cases) to one person over anyone else, so that's just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SewerStarFish wrote:
...but then many of my games are from the higher complexity end of the scale and they almost always have them....
And then there are the games where the "definitive" FAQ only makes things worse....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah ...
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for responses ... Generally I'd like to be playing by the rules and have actually started rereading every instruction book before playing the game again to make sure that I am, so I guess this is a good time to realize that I should of been looking for official faqs and errata ... I just don't know if I always want to look now or only if I have a question about a rule ... In a way, if the rules makes sense to me I don't see why I should ... But maybe a FAQ or errata would make the game better

Are errata and faqs generally just rule clarification or complete rule changes? Like Takenoko was generally clarification but I would consider the one part that I discussed to be a rule change

Luckily our play group is rather small so shouldn't be a problem to agree on rules and I've never played in an organized competitive environment ... But I've always someday wanted to be able to go to a con and I guess I'd feel really dumb if I thought I knew how to play a game to find out I didn't know about a subsequent official rule

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never heard of an Official FAQ. Where are they?

Because you used Takenoko as an example, I went to that game page. I couldn't find any FAQ. Where should I have looked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EllenCaroline wrote:
I've never heard of an Official FAQ. Where are they?

Because you used Takenoko as an example, I went to that game page. I couldn't find any FAQ. Where should I have looked?

For Takenoko in particular, the FAQ is on the game page in two spots:
1In the More Information section
2In the Web Links section (on page 6 of it)

For some other games, I have seen an official FAQ in the Files section or on the publisher's website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah ...
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On boardgamegeek it's under more information for Takenoko and then it's also somewhere on asmodee's website I believe under news, as I followed a direct link to it before

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sahrinoa wrote:
Are errata and faqs generally just rule clarification or complete rule changes? Like Takenoko was generally clarification but I would consider the one part that I discussed to be a rule change
It depends. I would guess most FAQs are mostly oriented around clarifications, but it's not uncommon for any FAQ to have at least one change, and some will be substantially made up of changes.

Quote:
... But I've always someday wanted to be able to go to a con and I guess I'd feel really dumb if I thought I knew how to play a game to find out I didn't know about a subsequent official rule
Don't worry about that. Again, barring a hypercompetitive environment, "official" just doesn't matter that much. Even when I've played in tournaments at cons, the most comment that something like that has ever required is "Oh, by the way, the publisher said such-and-such does so-and-so." "Oh, OK."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.