Dave Winfield
msg tools
Most of the lite push-your-luck game penalties seems to be lose all rewards that turn if you bust. I was wondering if any games incorporated a different cumulative penalty instead.

In my example we'll consider a pyl racing game. The goal is gain distance results to reach the finish line first. Power ups gained by spending earned coins can help you or harm your opponents along the way.

Each player gets a racer die and puts it on the starting line. Set your racer die to 3 durability (Dy will be abbreviation)

Each player gets 6 basic dice to roll every turn.

The sides of these dice are:
2 Distance (3 Dy)
1 Distance (2 Dy)
1 Distance
Coin (2 Dy)
Coin
Damage

The player can roll these dice as many time as they choose but they must lock damage results and 3 damage results in a turn ends their turn and lowers their durability by one.

However, all distance and coins earned that turn are kept. You'll notice that some of the results had durability thresholds so damaging your car has consequences on future turns. A rolled "2 Distance" result while at 2 or less durability won't count for your racer.

To restore durability by 1 at the end of a turn, you simply end your turn before you roll 3 damage results.

Coins are spent on booster dice that replace basic dice for a turn. these dice boost coins earned, farther distances, and invincibility to damage. Some dice are given to opponents to decrease distance or damage. A racer at 0 durability can earn coins during his rolls but cannot spend coins on boosters until he has at least 1 Dy again.

That is the basic premise. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Which press-your-luck games have you played? You've essentially created a damage penalty for pressing your luck too far, which is we already know works very well.

How many coins do booster dice cost? And can you store up coins across multiple turns, or do you have to spend them the turn you roll them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Winfield
msg tools
I'll look further at those games. I had been looking more at very lite dice or card games (Incan gold).

The stronger the booster the more coins 2-10. And coins do carry over between turns. You can buy upto 3 boosters per turn replacing upto half your 6 basic dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a press-your-luck game, the penalty has to be severe enough to make you really consider whether you want to roll again. If the penalty does not vastly outweigh the possible gains for the next roll there is no reason to stop rolling. A player will then just keep rolling until the game tells him to stop. This removes the decision, and excitement, from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Winfield
msg tools
I agree completely. So you feel this particular penalty isn't severe enough compared the traditional "lose it all" mechanic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no, I think I was just more or less stating what makes a good press-your-luck game for the benefit of those interested in this genre of game.

Your game is actually pretty compelling. It should really give you the feeling of a deteriorating race car. From turn to turn your decision is whether you drive slowly to heal (and be able to drive faster next turn) or push it for distance and risk damage (and slower speeds next turn).

It isn't necessary to have a "lose it all" penalty in this game because a) it doesn't really fit thematically, and b) the game simulates a race where slow driving is the ultimate penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite interested in this topic as I have an in-development press-your-luck dice game that presently doesn't quite work... ;-)

It's time-trial-rally-racing-themed, and similarly to the above example players lock "fault" dice which add to their total time taken through the track, with different dice that allow you to push your car to the limit with greater chance of particular results and also of more faults; the moment anyone reaches the end of the track all other players take a time penalty and the game ends, the winner being the player who has the least time on their clock.

The reason it doesn't work so well and I'm not happy enough with it is precisely that it doesn't have quite the same excitement; players are generally happier to push their luck and don't worry so much about time penalties as they would about losing everything they gained that turn. It is generally the case that the player who has been the least blasé about time wins, but it loses some of the excitement a game like Diamant has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A swift kick in the junk would be an effective deterrent. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
Oh no, I think I was just more or less stating what makes a good press-your-luck game for the benefit of those interested in this genre of game.

Your game is actually pretty compelling. It should really give you the feeling of a deteriorating race car. From turn to turn your decision is whether you drive slowly to heal (and be able to drive faster next turn) or push it for distance and risk damage (and slower speeds next turn).

It isn't necessary to have a "lose it all" penalty in this game because a) it doesn't really fit thematically, and b) the game simulates a race where slow driving is the ultimate penalty.

In that sense, the proposed game feels more like what I would call a "reroll your luck game". E.g. Ra: The Dice Game, Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age, or even Yahtzee. You never bust, but you eventually bottom out. The question is what combination of faces you want to get before you bottom out. I tend to prefer that type of game to true press-your-luck games, precisely because they avoid the frustrating busts that are so critical to making press-your-luck games work.

In that regard, I like the sound of the proposed game, but I'm not sure I'd call it a press-your-luck game. But it's similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Winfield
msg tools
I was hoping to use speed instead of durability. But that would mean you would start at 1st gear (1) and have to wait two "safe" turns to shift to top gear (3) and enjoy the [2 distance (3)] results and one "safe" turn to enjoy the [1 distance (2)] and [Coin (2)] results which isn't quite as fun as starting with access to everything upfront.

My only other thought was to just start in top gear (3). You guys like the thought of speed or durability more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vallenbrosa wrote:
You guys like the thought of speed or durability more?

My first thought would be to compromise and call it 'stability' or something. It's unrelated to speed insofar as it's possible to be stable while going fast or slow, but the more unstable you get, the more you start to wobble, fishtail, etc. and the less fast you'll be able to go without crashing. And the more you slow down and don't have problems (taking the safe option) the more stable you'll get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DZ Woloshyn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Bichatse wrote:
My first thought would be to compromise and call it 'stability' or something.

I agree with "Stability". "Durability" suggests that the cars fix themselves when you slow down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimbobJones wrote:
robbdaman wrote:
A swift kick in the junk would be an effective deterrent. devil

That's why true Munchkins wear cups.

And why their whole body counts as "junk".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.