Popular Tags: [View All]
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a local miniatures convention here in Chicago called Adepticon. It extends all weekend and there are 4 X-Wing tournaments being held on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I am scheduled to compete in 3 of them and thought I would give reports of those three.

On Thursday there were 22 people signed up for a standard 100-point dogfighting tournament. I expected to see a lot of familiar faces as I play regularly in 4 different local game stores so I have seen the large majority of competitive X-Wing players in the Chicago area, but I only recognized 2 other people: Matt and Kyle. When I first started playing X-Wing it was in a Tuesday night league in January of 2013. We played every Tuesday for about 8 months and I probably played against Kyle 30 times. In August of last year my schedule changed and I couldn’t attend the Tuesday night sessions so I stopped playing with that group and switched to another group containing Mat.

Anyway . . .

I was flying BBBAA, which I call Batteries Included. It was 8-0 for me and I had only ever lost 2 ships from the squad in any one game. It had won me 2 different tournaments including a Store Championship.

Round 1:
I faced a guy whose name I can’t remember. It was the first international competitor I had ever faced. He was from Quebec and he was flying:
Howl + Hull
Turr + Marksmanship
Carnor Jax
Acadamy x2
99 pts

He told me that he didn’t mark his Acadamies becaue one of the bases was in English and one was in French. That was cool to see. His dials were in French too. Aces were legal in this tourney even though they shouldn’t be, but since it was predicted that they would be legal in April it had already been announced that they would be legal at Adepticon, so people had brought lists including them. FFG has delayed (apparently) making them legal, so the tourney decided to go ahead and allow them. I decided to focus on Jax first, since I had never played against him before and thought his ability would be quite deadly. I set a wide net with three of my B-Wings and one of them took a pounding form Turr and Jax, but the return fire killed Jax on the first combat round. Turr stayed elusive, so I focused my efforts on the three TIEs. None of them did much damage as I took them out, but Tur was constantly getting range 1 shots on my ships and rolling 4 hits with crits. I was down a B-Wing and an A-Wing when I finally got Turr by himself. My opponent admitted that he hadn’t played in a while and was only at the Con for Warhammer as he and his friend had won the Golden Brush award (for painting miniatures) 4 out of the last 5 years (or something like that). He made quite a few mistakes, always crashing with Howl and hitting a few asteroids. On the last turn, he could have barrel rolled with Tur after he had fired (something he had already done several times) to avoid both of my B-Wing arcs, but he boosted instead, only taking him out of one of the arcs. The remaining B-Wing and A-Wing had him with TL+F, but only the B-Wing’s attack was needed to kill him
Point Killed: 99
Point lost: 39
Record 1-0

Round 2
I played Brian who was flying
Turr + PTL
BH + Recon x2

Once again I was playing against Turr who really has his way with my low pilot skill list. So I decided to go after him first. I had the Asteroids set up in a tight cluster in the center, and his 2 BH started sideways in the middle with Tur behind them pointing straight toward my side of the map. I saw that I would be able to engage Turr for a couple rounds before his BHs got turned around, so I set a very wide net for Turr. Brian made a bold 5-forward on the second turn, narrowly avoiding a crash, getting a range 1 shot on a B-Wing (4 hits of course) and then boosting and barrel rolling out of all 5 of my arcs.

I hate Turr.

So, I decided to turn all my ships in the other direction to face off with his BHs. He made a major miscalculation with his ships when trying to turn into the asteroid and one of them landed on one. He rolled no damage, but he was left with only one ship who could fire. I did a little damage to the asteroid ship, and his BH that could fire was forced to pick a different target than the one that Tur had softened. On the next turn, I blocked the other BH so it also landed on an asteroid while the first ship did a 3-turn to get out of Dodge. Once again his BH that could fire had to pick a different B-Wing, and Turr ended up crashing into that BH. Now I had all my ships turned and ready to fire, and I stripped all the shields off the asteroid ship and did a crit that took away his actions in the action bar. No more double focus. I also got one shot on a defenseless Turr doing a damage and a crit that would do another damage if he crashed. On the next turn I clogged the lane thinking Tur had nowhere to go, but he miraculously landed in the only spot he could by about a millimeter. There was no room for him to boost or barrel roll after the attack, so one of my B-Wings wasted him at range 1. The rest of my ships killed the heavily injured BH, and then they all chased down the remaining BH over the next 3 turns.
Points killed: 100
Points lost: 0
Record 2-0

Also in round 2:
On either side of me were 2 other matches of undefeated players. One was an Imperial swarm which I really wanted to play against, as it was the only type of list I had not tested my BBBAA against. It won, so I was hopeful to play it. On the other side, Kyle and Mat were matched up. I thought it would be a pretty fair fight between 2 good players and Kyle won. Matt’s list had 2 interceptors: Soontir and Jax, so I was scared of it. Kyle was flying a more traditional 4-ship Rebel list, which my list has done very well against, so I was relieved.

Round 3
I played against:
Biggs
Roark + Ion
Blues + Adv. Sensors x2

Our first engagement was in the asteroids. My 3 B-Wings came up the center while my A-Wings went wide and flanked. I don’t think he was ready for how fast the A-Wings were going to come in and he turned Biggs toward one, but he crashed into an A-Wing with his firing arc pointed sideways – no one to shoot at. His two B-Wings fired on one of mine but since they had used advanced sensors to barrel roll to avoid asteroids, neither had a focus, and they did minimal damage. Roark had a shot through an asteroid with his ion cannon. I was able to spend a focus to avoid the Ion shot. It only took 2 shots from my B-Wings to kill Biggs, and then the third B-Wing and both A-wings took Roark down to one hull. On the next turn he killed one of my B-wings, with the last shot coming from Roark’s Ion cannon, but then I took out Roark. We had a bit of a scrum in the asteroid field for a couple turns before I killed his remaining B-Wings. He killed one of mine back with simultaneous fire and would have had a chance to do the same when I killed his last B-Wing, but it had been made a Pilot skill zero on a previous turn.
Points killed: 100
Points lost: 44
Record: 3-0

Also in round 3
There were 5 undefeated players going into round 3, and Matt (1-1) got matched up with the swarm player (2-0). Mat beat him, so that left only 2 undefeated players after round 3. The other was Kyle.

Round 4
Kyle was flying:
Wedge+Swarm+R2
Biggs
Blue
Rookie

I felt confident going into the last round. I had flown against several 4-ship Rebel lists with my build and had always done well. In fact I had flown against a Wedge/Biggs/Rookie/Rookie list a couple weeks ago and didn’t lose a ship. In the first combat round I had Wedge in range 3 of 3 of my ships, and Biggs was out of range. It was exactly what I had tried to do, except that his other front ships also had one of my B-Wings in range. So Wedge, the Blue, and Rookie lit up my B-wing, getting him down to 2 hull. Meanwhile my return fire (the B-wing and 2 A-Wings) only did 1 damage to Wedge. I got all his ships to crash on the next turn, but with Wedge’s Swarm, he was able to kill my injured blue before he fired. Now Biggs was very much in range and I knew I needed to kill him this turn to stay ahead in ships. His ships took the shields off an A-Wing and took a few shields off a B-Wing, while my two B-Wings got Biggs down to 1-hull. My first A-Wing whiffed, but the second one got 2 hits, but Biggs survived by rolling 2 evades. That gave him an extra attack the next turn and it turned the tables on me. I killed Biggs, but I also had to send one A-Wing off on its own because it didn’t have any good K-Turn options. Kyle K-Turned Wedge onto an Asteroid, which took his last shield. But I couldn’t bring down his other X-Wing during the reprieve. On the next turn he killed another B-Wing and I killed Wedge. I had the advantage 3 ships to 2 and his X-Wing was damaged, but his B-Wing was full health.

He killed my A-Wings one each on the following 2 turns, always before they could fire, and then it was just my one B-Wing against his 2 ships. When every time I got a shot on his X-Wing, he chose to not spend the focus, take only 1 damage and then return fire. It took about 4-5 turns, but eventually his two ships killed mine. Once again I had made it to the final game in a big tournament and lost. This is the third time I’ve done it. But Kyle played well and deserved to win. My dice didn’t like me in that game, but they had been pretty bad all tournament but I had managed to win my previous games anyway. Kyle wasn’t going to let that happen.

Matt also won his last game and got third in the tournament. I thought it was odd that with 22 people there, I knew 2 of the guys and we all got 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great report, Piqsid! Interesting to see how well AABBB is doing. I to would like to see how it fairs against traditional TIE swarm lists, as I feel AABBB's strength is acting like a TIE swarm as it counters 4 ship rebel lists (particularly B-wing heavy lists) quite well.

I'm curious if it was your initial intention upon set-up and your approach was to try and kill Wedge outside of Bigg's range 1 bubble of protection? Or did this just occur by happenstance on the first engagement? I find this to always be a risky play to try and execute, and most of the time, I'd rather just kill Biggs first. If you fail to kill Wedge, then you'll fall behind in ships, as it spreads your fire out quite a bit. Do you feel differently? Do you usually try and kill a ship outside of Bigg's protective bubble? If so, why? To me, this seems like a big risk to take, very early in the game that can set you back if your 9-12 attack dice fail you.

Did you find the A-wings to be subpar against Kyle's heavy X-wing centered list? As I said earlier, I find them to be good in the current meta only because the high % of B-wings, and against higher agility ships, A-wings tend to flop in the damage department.

Once again, thanks for the report and look forward to more updates on the Chicago X-wing scene . I should really do the same and give updates on the NYC + Brooklyn tourney's happening this season. I always plan on taking pics of my games but never remember and when the tourney's all done I forget what I did in most of the games that day . Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyD144 wrote:

I'm curious if it was your initial intention upon set-up and your approach was to try and kill Wedge outside of Bigg's range 1 bubble of protection? Or did this just occur by happenstance on the first engagement? I find this to always be a risky play to try and execute, and most of the time, I'd rather just kill Biggs first.

Yes, it was my intention. He set up like this:

W B X
.....B

Wedge was in the front row toward the middle of the board and Biggs was in the back row between the B and the X. He started on the outside, and I attacked through the center of the board. There was an obvious break in the asteroids on the side where he set up and I knew he was going to go 3 straight and then bank into the asteroids to be able to shoot at me. If he did anything else he would run over asteroids or not have an arc on me. When a ship banks it turns at a 45 degree angle and while Biggs would still at range 1 from Wedge, he would be much further away from the front corner of Wedge's ship which game me a lot more room for error. Also, the most obvious choice for him would be a 3 forward and a 2 bank because anything faster than that would stress out his B-Wing. So I felt I knew exactly what he would do and where he would be and I was right.

My mistake was that I had the B-Wing joust with his formation, thinking that when he banked to my left and turned his firing arc, my B-wing would be too far right and outside of his arc so I could not only shoot at him without return fire, but I would also be able to approach his formation from the rear on the second combat round. But I didn't get the B-wing anywhere close to far enough right to accomplish that, and he took fire from three ships and failed to do any damage in return. I started with a ship advantage, but he canceled that on the first turn. After that I was way behind in the pilot skill battle and it was over.

Normally I would agree that the best course of action is to jam a Biggs formation to get all the ships to crash and try to kill Biggs with range 1 and 2 shots. But this is also hard as a good Biggs player will slow play to try and time the first encounter. With my list I don't care as much since if the Biggs player does plan a range three initiation combat with Biggs, his range 2 shots will probably be against my A-Wings which are good dodgers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Nice report! Too bad about the finals loss. BBBAA is a brutal list and I like it over the other 5 rebel ship variations. I've played it against 6 ship swarms (sporting Interceptors) and have found that to be it's toughest match up so far. I want to try it against Rebel Convoy as I think that list would be pretty punishing on it too with the Ion control against the Bs.

BTW, what were the other 2 Finals losses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
space monkey mafia wrote:

BTW, what were the other 2 Finals losses?

One in a 16 person Regional last year and a smaller store tournament last year. Both loses to the same player: Sozin. But there is justice in the world, but that will have to wait until my 3rd session report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe nardo
msg tools
You can't use 6 interceptor. The cheapest they are is 18 points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
joenardo wrote:

I believe he meant that there are Interceptors mixed with regular TIEs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Piqsid wrote:

One in a 16 person Regional last year and a smaller store tournament last year. Both loses to the same player: Sozin. But there is justice in the world, but that will have to wait until my 3rd session report.

Oooh, what a tease! Will be looking forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe nardo
msg tools
I always how a mix of ties and interceptor would do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Veldrin wrote:
joenardo wrote:

I believe he meant that there are Interceptors mixed with regular TIEs.

Sorry, Veldrin is right and I wasn't very clear: 2 interceptors + 4 fighters. I think Piqsid likes to run 3 interceptors + 3 fighters. Don't know if I saw a report on that somewhere or just overheard it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.