Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Trepanier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I love me some worker placement, but I find it's not horribly popular in my gaming group. I only have one person who likes playing them with me. I have played Agricola two player and I think it's great. But I know some WP games just don't scale down well for 2 players.

I'm currently looking at Lords of Waterdeep and Manhattan Project. Do these play well with two? Or, is there something else I should be trying?

Thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Lords would be fine 2 player. I don't think Manhattan Project would be great two player. The only thing that really seems to scale for different players is the number of points needed to win. Thus, there is nothing that otherwise limits things forcing the interaction that is seen with higher player counts.

Le Havre is supposed to be good two players. I've only played Keyflower with 3+, but it's supposed to be great 2 players. It has worker placement among other mechanics. Stone Age is pretty good 2 playe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
I think Lords would be fine 2 player. I don't think Manhattan Project would be great two player. The only thing that really seems to scale for different players is the number of points needed to win. Thus, there is nothing that otherwise limits things forcing the interaction that is seen with higher player counts.

Le Havre is supposed to be good two players. I've only played Keyflower with 3+, but it's supposed to be great 2 players. It has worker placement among other mechanics. Stone Age is pretty good 2 playe

I would go with Manhattan project, then Keyflower- we don't really like to play Waterdeep with 2 or Stone Age. Le Havre is probably best with 2, but I don't really enjoy it that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you're quasi new to BGG and haven't stumbled upon Richard Ham's videos, he is by far the best source on 2p worker placement games. He has done run throughs of over 200 games, many of which are worker placement. FYI, his preferences in games are those that are fairly non-combative/peacenik...I'm very certain you'll find something you like.

Rahdo Runs Through

(scroll down to the videos link)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy E
msg tools
mbmbmb
Le Havre and Caverna are both great with two players. For a worker placement of a slightly different nature, you might try Kingsburg. I like the variation of the worker placement mechanic: each player rolls a set of three dice, and they place subsets of those dice on the action spots which are numbered. So certain rolls give you more flexibility in your choices of action spots, and also certain rolls give you more flexibility to block your opponent. Another recommendation that's substantially different from the farming games is Robinson Crusoe, which is a co-op worker placement which works well with two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this one:
It's a 2-player-only game. It's got a lot more to it than a filler such as Jaipur or Lost Cities. I love it. And besides, my next trip will be to Morocco, and the Tuaregs, the Blue People, live there, so I feel an attachment to the game because of the picture on the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorites currently, for two players, are Agricola and Gear & Piston. Also take a look at Viticulture. All are excellent with two players and have Rahdo runthroughs available that you can watch on here.

If you want to also throw in a co-op element, Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is the best one out there (for worker placement).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yedo was described as Lords of Waterdeep (LOWD) on Steroids at one point. I don't know how it would compare to LOWD + the scoundrels of skullport expansion. And long term, LOWD could probably more easily acomodate more expansions, while Yedo, I don't see how. So, it may come down to theme for you. Yedo does play well 2 player and does have worker placement screwage, but it is a Japanese theme and not a fantasy D&D theme.

Oh, newish geeklist of various WP games: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/171914/worker-placement-el...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Munro-Chitty
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes
Keyflower
Tzolk'in
Bora Bora
Belfort
Dungeon Petz
Caylus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that Russian Railroads works very nicely with 2 (and 3 and 4).

Good luck with your search!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Trepanier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any others who can speak to Lords of Waterdeep or Manhattan Project? Would anyone recommend against playing them 2p?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the 2-player experience for LoW is better without the expansion versus with if you are talking out of the box experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like The Manhattan Project fine at 2-player.

In contrast with the above opinion, I think it's even more cutthroat and interactive at 2-player than at higher player counts, because the interactive actions (espionage, air strikes) have only the one other target. You can't deflect opponents by arguing that they should really be trying to slow down Bob over there, because he's obviously more of a threat.

Of course, whether or not "more cutthroat" is a good thing is itself a matter of opinion. But I think TMP is at least as interactive at 2-player as it is at higher counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lockard
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play almost exclusively play 2-player games with my college-aged daughter and worker placement is her favorite genre. For something "new" I would highly suggest Targi. Stone Age would be a good pick as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernst Juergen Ridder
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rytrepanier wrote:
Any others who can speak to Lords of Waterdeep or Manhattan Project? Would anyone recommend against playing them 2p?

Lords of Waterdeep (basic game) and Stone Age (basic game) imo are both very good with 2p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
androgeus wrote:
rytrepanier wrote:

Lords of Waterdeep (basic game) and Stone Age (basic game) imo are both very good with 2p

Agreed. Both scale perfectly. I actually prefer Stone Age with two. Key flower is good fun, and I'd also suggest Snowdonia is excellent with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Burgundy of something that everyone who plays it says scales well for 2 as well as more. I'm looking to get it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Pincus
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
Manhattan project ok with 2 but I think way better with more. Stone Age good with 2. Castles of Burgundy - perhaps not a true WP game, but it's great and plays great with 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In my experience it's very easy to pull off crazy chains in 2 player games of LoW. Because of that I actually prefer playing it with 2, but in terms of game balance/strategy I feel like it's best with 3 or 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Yedo. Also check out Dungeon Petz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rohlfo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went to recommendations to post something along the same lines as you posted!

not played LoW enough times to comment, but am looking into perhaps getting that myself.
Agricola is obviously strong, so finding something as amazing is tough.
I have Keyflower, which is great 2 player, but probably better 3-4 (once people know how to play).
Same for Troyes, think more than 2 is better (although I've only ever played it 2-player).
Bora Bora works, but if you're going Feld, then I suggest....

The one we play the most when faced with the 2-player scenario is Castles of Burgundy, great game, and works very well with 2 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep is considered to be still good with just 2 players ? Interesting, thanks for that information.

swirlsaepi wrote:
If you want to also throw in a co-op element, Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is the best one out there (for worker placement).

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:
Lords of Waterdeep is considered to be still good with just 2 players ? Interesting, thanks for that information.

swirlsaepi wrote:

thumbsup

We've got a dozen games of waterdeep with 2 under out belt and love it. We remove the mandatory quests though and now play with the expansion and longer game rules Offered with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice.

I am pretty shocked right now that Wizards of the Coast are having no plans releasing this game in any other language. No plans at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Stone Age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.