5 Posts

Cheaty Mages!» Forums » Rules

Subject: "Dispel Magic" and Non-Enduring Support Spells rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dispel Magic card is a non-enduring support spell that says "Discard target spell, including Enduring spells."

That seems pretty straightforward.

The Appendix adds the following clarification: "This card can only target cards on the game area, and cannot be used to cancel a Support spell that another player just cast."

I think that the point of this clarification is to say that, while you can use Dispel Magic to discard (and thus undo) any spell on the board, it cannot be used to undo non-enduring Support spells that have been played. Such spells are already in the discard pile and thus cannot be discarded. (The printed effect of Dispel Magic is to discard a spell, not to otherwise undo it.)

Despite the fact that the clarification says that Dispel Magic "cannot be used to cancel a Support spell that another player just cast," I think that it can be used to discard (and thus undo) an Enduring Support spell (as printed), even if that spell was just cast.

Does that seem right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin
Canada
flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems right to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Zagieboylo
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the purpose of that sentence is to clarify that this isn't a Magic-style counterspell. You can't use it to interrupt your opponent's action and prevent it from ever happening. However, once your opponent's action is completely over, if it left some lingering effect (in the form of an Enduring spell, for example), you can use Dispel Magic to get rid of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And this only cancels ONE spell of the casters choice right? Not all spells attached to a given fighter (seems too powerful for that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
And this only cancels ONE spell of the casters choice right? Not all spells attached to a given fighter (seems too powerful for that).

Yes - the text just says, "Discard target spell, including Enduring spells." I think the first "spell" means "just one."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.