BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Great games for 5 players (small box). I'll explain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hi!

I'm kinda new to the whole board gaming scene. I've played classics (Monopoly, Clue, Scotland Yard, etc.), Magic and some other stuff occasionally. Now I'm trying to hop back in this train, that was left aside because of the outrageous shipping costs to my country.

I just own Munckin and Ascension Storm of Souls. I already bought Ticket to Ride Europe and Forbidden Desert, just waiting for them to arrive. Now let's cut it to the chase.

I have a friend that's living on USA and he's coming in May. He's going light on bagage, so couldn't ask for something Robinson Crusoe, but I asked for Hanabi and the Ticket to Ride Europa 1912 expansion. Now I can get one more cool

I'm aiming to that kind of game that's fun when I gather 5 players (sometimes 6~7, but the target is 5), not that light, but with a decente amount of downtime (30~60min tops, maybe less fi the game is good). And I have the problem with the box size, so I looked around a lot around BGG and some games popped: Carcassone, Citadels (will be good to avoid those kind of boxes, but I think it's ok if it's a MUST), Bang the dice game, Samurai Sword, Saboteur, The Resistance.

I hear people say about the downtime on Citadels, the player elimination on Bang, the not-so-good-as-bang Samurai Sword, so on, so forth. I want a game that I can put ont he table with confidence when I have those 5 players wanting to have fun, think a little and have a great time (in a small box, lol).

Can ya'll help me? Any sugestions of a game outside of those mentioned, are welcomed!

Sorry the size of the post, I just kinda introduced my gaming situation and how pumped up I am now.

And thanks for all the gagillions posts that I read that helped me to create a legit list of games to order from time to time! An awesome community, kudos!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels was the first one that came to my mind. The German box is pretty small, but I am unsurer about the US edition (for example, the US box of Guildhallis about 4 times as large as the German edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:
Citadels was the first one that came to my mind. The German box is pretty small, but I am unsurer about the US edition (for example, the US box of Guildhallis about 4 times as large as the German edition).

The US version of Citadels is the Fantasy Flight small box size. Same size as Jaipur and Mascarade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
What about those problems on Citadels? Lenghty and, not always mentioned, samey. Does it stand out with the other games that I mentioned?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 5 players Citadels won't run too long. My experiences with it, it only goes long when you push the player count to 7-8. It is absolutely unlike any of the other games you referenced, so there should be no worry about it feeling "samey."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Watson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love The Resistance but it plays best with over 5. If you get the version I've linked to you can easily adapt it to take the The Resistance: Avalon rules as well to freshen things up.

Have you considered Bohnanza? It's a trading game & plays well with 5 & comes in a pretty small box. Not the most complicated game in the world (in a good way).

Bang the Dice Game is ok, very quick & captures the essence of normal Bang but without the potentially long game time.

I'm really not a fan of Citadels with more than three (I admit that I'm probably in the minority here). It's a very different game then & more than 5 certainly makes the game drag. I think it's a good thing that it feels quite different with low & high player counts.

How about Glory to Rome?It's notoriously difficult to get hold of & probably better with 4, but it does go up to 5 & I think the box is quite small. It's possibly a little heavy (strategy wise, not box weight), but highly regarded.

It might be worth thinking about pure card games. If you don't care about the box you can leave that behind & just bag up the cards, which saves a lot of space. That would open up games like Race for the Galaxy (again, it's deeper than the other games you've listed & you'd need expansions to go up to 5, but excellent. Maybe someone else on here can help out with other card games that don't have a large footprint when out of the box).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Add One Night Ultimate Werewolf to your list. It does not have player elimination, and contains deduction and bluffing. The rules are easy, but the play gets very complex when playing with 5+ players (4 is ok, and can be played with 3). Get the free app to read the script and you can try it before buying, just use any cards or pieces of paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenn C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Another option might be Condottiere. It's a small box (like Citadels), pretty easy to find, rated best with 4-5 players, and seems to be a game that grows with the group. Ender has a summary review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels may be perfect for what you want, but I wouldn't get it for the simple fact that it was released last year in Brazil (sold out at the publisher, but still available at some stores, like Emoção Virtual). Likewise, you do realize that Carcassonne is widely available in Brazil, right?

Take a look at Room 25. I would also recommend TSCHAK!, but it's limited to 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
davisdynamos wrote:
I love The Resistance but it plays best with over 5. If you get the version I've linked to you can easily adapt it to take the The Resistance: Avalon rules as well to freshen things up.

Have you considered Bohnanza? It's a trading game & plays well with 5 & comes in a pretty small box. Not the most complicated game in the world (in a good way).

Nice take on The Resistance, it's one of the favourites on the list. And I saw and read stuff 'bout Bohnanza. Seems cool, but not part of a "starter set" of my tastes.

a1bert wrote:
Add One Night Ultimate Werewolf to your list. It does not have player elimination, and contains deduction and bluffing. The rules are easy, but the play gets very complex when playing with 5+ players (4 is ok, and can be played with 3). Get the free app to read the script and you can try it before buying, just use any cards or pieces of paper.

Really liked the concept, but I was looking for something that involves more roles or cards as the games goes on.

caitirilt wrote:
Another option might be Condottiere. It's a small box (like Citadels), pretty easy to find, rated best with 4-5 players, and seems to be a game that grows with the group. Ender has a summary review.

For what I read, seems a really nice filler game! I guess it'll enter the list.

GSReis wrote:
Citadels may be perfect for what you want, but I wouldn't get it for the simple fact that it was released last year in Brazil (sold out at the publisher, but still available at some stores, like Emoção Virtual). Likewise, you do realize that Carcassonne is widely available in Brazil, right?

Take a look at Room 25. I would also recommend TSCHAK!, but it's limited to 4 players.

Didn't know about Carcassonne, but it's on bottom of that list as far as interest. And really? Paying 40~45 bucks for Citadels when I can pay 20? No, thanks. Game of Thrones Board Game is also available, but would you pay 100 bucks?

Room 25 looks cool, but I have some games ahead on this kind of game to buy in the future. TSCHAK! also caught up some attention, but in this particular situation I'm going for a game that supports 5 players.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Amazing community indeed! If everyone have something else to suggest or to say about the list, you're welcomed.

Cheers from Brazil!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can vouch for Bohnanza and Bang! (though I've only played the card game).

I would also suggest Chronicle and the new version of Fairy Tale (although I think Fairy Tale may only play up to 4).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy 7 Wonders + 7 Wonders: Cities and repack the game into the cities box.

Citadels might be a bit long but is small enough.

Bohnanza is also a good choice.

Another option is 6 nimmt! Plus (actually 6-Nimmnt or 11-Nimmnt as I can't remember the actual BGG title) or Fluxx or any one of a hundred card games that are packaged as a box of cards and not in a TtR size box.

Finally, as long as you are not worried about the shrink wrap, there are plenty of games that could contain the 1912 box - Race for the Galaxy being but one example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rex for 5-6. That's a LOT of game for the size box it is.

Alien Frontiers is phenomenal.

Archipelago is quirky and great.

Among the Stars is like 7 Wonders in drafting, but has totally differnent (and spatial) mechanics.

Cosmic Encounter is lighthearted and great at 5-7.

Elder Sign is a small box that can do a lot of players. (1-8 I think.)

King of Tokyo is really light, but fun for groups.

Revolution is good (but box-to-game ratio might seem a bit much.)

Pandemic caps at 5 (with one of the expansions.) It's also a staple game.

Stone Age is pretty good too, and not too complicated.

Cyclades+Hades expansion is really good, but the box is slightly bigger.

I concur with Carcassonne and 7 Wonders.

With all the suggestions, I'm hoping I didn't miss the point somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthVandelay wrote:
Didn't know about Carcassonne,

It's from Grow, no less. Available at Ri-Happy, Americanas etc. - and for a reasonable price.

Quote:
And really? Paying 40~45 bucks for Citadels when I can pay 20? No, thanks.

You are both understating the U.S. price and overstating the Brazilian one, but in any case, I just thought you might want to take the opportunity to get a game not available here.

Quote:
Game of Thrones Board Game is also available, but would you pay 100 bucks?

If I had to keep it, I wouldn't pay even 10 for it. I played it once and hated it. But if I liked it, yes, I would pay 100 dollars. When you add the shipping cost and the import tax, the imported version is close to that, and the Brazilian version has the advantage of being in Portuguese.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
dawson_osu wrote:
I can vouch for Bohnanza and Bang! (though I've only played the card game).

I would also suggest Chronicle and the new version of Fairy Tale (although I think Fairy Tale may only play up to 4.

Thanks for the suggestions! Fairy Tail looked good, but Chronicles, on videos, doesn't struck me as a game that I'd like! Nice to see another vote for Bohnanza.

Postmark wrote:
Buy 7 Wonders + 7 Wonders: Cities and repack the game into the cities box.

Citadels might be a bit long but is small enough.

Bohnanza is also a good choice.

Another option is 6 nimmt! Plus (actually 6-Nimmnt or 11-Nimmnt as I can't remember the actual BGG title) or Fluxx or any one of a hundred card games that are packaged as a box of cards and not in a TtR size box.

Finally, as long as you are not worried about the shrink wrap, there are plenty of games that could contain the 1912 box - Race for the Galaxy being but one example.

And Bohnanza continues! Citadels is one of my favourites choices right now, because of the roles. 7 Wonders appeared to me as a repetitive short game. I know all the hype and I can't really say anything withou playing, but the mechanic and the way that makes you win the game, appears to make 7 wonders predictable maybe? I dunno if I'm using the right words to express what I read and watched 'bout the game.

Also, atm I didn't read anything about 6-Nimmnt (will do) and I DO care about the box, that's why I'm asking for a small box one. Otherwise I would get Robinson Crusoe or Race for the Galaxy, etc. Thanks for the tips!

roufus wrote:
Rex for 5-6. That's a LOT of game for the size box it is.

Alien Frontiers is phenomenal.

Archipelago is quirky and great.

Among the Stars is like 7 Wonders in drafting, but has totally differnent (and spatial) mechanics.

Cosmic Encounter is lighthearted and great at 5-7.

Elder Sign is a small box that can do a lot of players. (1-8 I think.)

King of Tokyo is really light, but fun for groups.

Revolution is good (but box-to-game ratio might seem a bit much.)

Pandemic caps at 5 (with one of the expansions.) It's also a staple game.

Stone Age is pretty good too, and not too complicated.

Cyclades+Hades expansion is really good, but the box is slightly bigger.

I concur with Carcassonne and 7 Wonders.

With all the suggestions, I'm hoping I didn't miss the point somewhere.

You kinda missed the point but it's all right, amazing suggestions that will go to my wishlist. I asked for the Citadels sized box tops because that is as far as I can get this time. And I care about the box, I want them on my shelf!

About Carcassonne, I can get here on my country maybe, since it's not really much more expensive (30 bucks here). Want an example? An imported Robinson Crusoe ($55 on CSI) is selling for $180~200. Yeap, that's right. See what I asked about 7 wonders on the quote above if you can.

Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mu is great for 5. the new edition Mü & Lots More comes with three other games. Of the extra games, I've only played Was sticht?, but that was quite good and different from Mu.

I also second Glory to Rome and Race for the Galaxy

BANG!, BANG! The Dice Game, and Citadels I am not that found of. not very interesting gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthVandelay wrote:
Nice to see another vote for Bohnanza.

And just for the record, this is another game that you can find in Brazil, published by Copag, although in an inferior package (tuckbox) and with no expansion included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Medici is a good auction game for 5/6. Don't know how the box size is though (I've only played on iOS.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think 7 Wonders has more replayability than Citadels.

My votes for the original 1.4 version of Glory to Rome. Amazing game, unlimited replayability, plays up to 5 and is best 4-5

Also, look into Lords of Scotland. Very cheap, very small box, plays up to 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
hippiephysicschick wrote:
Mu is great for 5. the new edition Mü & Lots More comes with three other games. Of the extra games, I've only played Was sticht?, but that was quite good and different from Mu.

I also second Glory to Rome and Race for the Galaxy

BANG!, BANG! The Dice Game, and Citadels I am not that found of. not very interesting gameplay.

Mü didn't caught my eyes. Glory to Rome is out of stock on the stores that I looked (one copy, a little expensive to what I'm trying to get), altough seems a great game. Race for the Galaxy has the box issues that I already referred. Thanks for the input! And what is it that you don't like on Citadels and Bang?

GSReis wrote:
DarthVandelay wrote:
Nice to see another vote for Bohnanza.

And just for the record, this is another game that you can find in Brazil, published by Copag, although in an inferior package (tuckbox) and with no expansion included.

Nice one dude! One more that I didn't know and really cheap! How important is the expansion?

SuperGLS wrote:
Medici is a good auction game for 5/6. Don't know how the box size is though (I've only played on iOS.)

Medici has a big box, but thanks for the help!

Moe45673 wrote:
I think 7 Wonders has more replayability than Citadels.

My votes for the original 1.4 version of Glory to Rome. Amazing game, unlimited replayability, plays up to 5 and is best 4-5

Also, look into Lords of Scotland. Very cheap, very small box, plays up to 5

Why do you think 7 wonders has more replayability?

Glory to Rome has a problem, just see above.

Lords of Scotland looks really simple, yet interesting, but I guess I'm not chasing a bidding kinda game right now.

Thanks everyone, you've been a lot of help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthVandelay wrote:
How important is the expansion?

The current Rio Grande version of Bohnanza comes with the first expansion, which extends the player count from 5 to 7. It also includes two-player rules, but these can be used without the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvester Stachovicz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Town Center
Iliad
Chronicle
For Sale
Sleuth
Kuhhandel Master
Star Realms

All those games are rather small and play with 6. Recommended.

Good hunting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
GSReis wrote:
DarthVandelay wrote:
How important is the expansion?

The current Rio Grande version of Bohnanza comes with the first expansion, which extends the player count from 5 to 7. It also includes two-player rules, but these can be used without the expansion.

Thanks mate!

Vester wrote:
Town Center
Iliad
Chronicle
For Sale
Sleuth
Kuhhandel Master
Star Realms

All those games are rather small and play with 6. Recommended.

Good hunting!

Thanks for the suggestions! Some games seems pretty nice ones! Gotta read more though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Condottiere
+1 BANG! The Dice Game

my dark horse choice is Myth: Pantheons. The rulebook is bad and the graphic design and hit or miss, but hidden behind all that is an incredibly tense and awesome thematic trick-taking game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rueben the sandwich
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colossal Arena is a great little bidding game with thematic fantasy powers. For me, the game evokes an audience watching and gambling on a fantasy battle royale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.