XTeam Software Solution
Retaliation is an original boardgame, designed to offer challenging tactical and strategic reasoning in a fast, easy and funny format.
The mission of Retaliation is to make the spirit of wargaming available to everyone, casual gamers and seasoned strategist alike.
To achieve this, it skirts away from the most tedious aspects of many wargames, where the work-to-fun ratio is too high (extreme examples are the so called "monster" wargames, that take more than a few continuous days of play to complete).
At the same time, Retaliation is not trivial, with complex gameplay emerging from very simple rules.
Retaliation could be described as an operational-level wargame, with units approximating divisions, but unit size and map scale are kept very elastic: it can thus accommodate a wide range of scenarios, from purely tactical mini-maps to large connected campaigns, where dealing with resource control and supply lines is often more important than manoeuvre warfare.
Key aspects of all Retaliation games:
- Balanced and polished as a board game, funny and fast as a videogame
- Easy to learn yet always diverse and challenging
- Special rolls with special results (e.g. self-damage)
- 20 main terrain types influencing movement, combat and production
- Units can merge (two units become one) or split (into two or more units)
- Combat is handled sequentially but considered simultaneous: units have a last chance to fire back even if completely destroyed by enemy's attack
- Reinforcements awarded according to controlled territory, but the richest terrain tiles are the ones harder to defend
- Not just 1-vs-1: when more than two opponents battle each other, there are multiple open fronts and constantly shifting alliances
- Freely moddable and expandable: users can create new maps with a map editor and design new terrain graphics