Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
And it's been signed off on by the state.

I only mention this because of my core position on guns and America - that the least understood aspect of America and guns is how owning guns is as much a part of our cultural heritage as lederhosen for Austrians, bad teeth for the French, weak British chins are for Limeys, bragging about spiders and crocs for Aussies, arrogance for the Chinese, mass murder and death camps for the Russians less stable SE Asian peoples and fat cops on Drug Lord payrolls is for anyone from South America.

I'll leave the Mexicans out of this because I just love those guys and the Canadians? Pshaw, who the fuck cares?

My point though is that anti-gun elements within the USA have failed to understand their own history and how it is impossible to untangle America from the right to bear arms. This isn't Europe, where kings and Lords spent centuries imprinting on the DNA of the natives that they are subjects and don't have rights. Sorry guys, but that's kind of who you are... your rulers are not exactly benevolent, and certainly no less evil than ours. But when, and if, the time comes to burn those fuckers to the ground you EuroTrashers are gonna have cars burning in the streets, rocks flying through the air and you'll be dropping like flies as government snipers take your heads off, unafraid of repercussions, from 1,000 yards away.

Here in America, if and when that time comes there will be a whole lot less bloodshed due to our 2nd Amendment. Yep. Less, not more. That's because the evil government overlords here know we have 300 million weapons and billions of rounds of ammo ourselves. And Gawd only knows what else is cached in the White Trash urban, suburban and rural bunkers here. Not to mention.... we know how to shoot people at 1,000 yards too. So the idea that some special forces guy can sit unperturbed on a rooftop blowing up civilian heads and not be at risk... well, that won't be the case.

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that as New York works hard to restrict guns in their state, manufacturers have out-foxed them by changing a few simple things on their AR15. No bayonet lug? Fair enough. New grip? Cool. You see? That's who we are, right? You can pass a law forbidding a culture to actively be cultural but it won't matter. We are who we are and you non-Americans and Americans who fear or hate guns, you are who you are. Can you imagine if Europeans or other governments around the world started passing laws forbidding their own populace from, well, from being who they are? No scotch in Scotland? No reggae in Jamaica?

This is who we are and whining about it or finger pointing or trying to tell 100 million gun owners that they are personally responsible for a dead victim won't unmake who we are. And, of course, it's a stupid idea that anyone who is pro-gun has shared guilt when an innocent dies. In that case, lets talk about your cars, okay?

Black Rain is just one manufacturer that made a special weapon for New York. Others are simply adding/subtracting features on their wares also and it'll be as if there were never any laws there restricting "assault" weapons to begin with. And, of course, the internet gives you all access to everything you need anyway to swap out, in a matter of a couple minutes, the less productive features of the weapon in case there is an armed insurrection that needs attending to.

Here's the web site.... cool toys.

http://www.blackrainordnance.com/newsletter-april-2014-new-y...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No doubt...but I would rather have a nice cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

I'll have both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldsin wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

I'll have both.
You'll need a big cup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That's because the evil government overlords here know we have 300 million weapons and billions of rounds of ammo ourselves. And Gawd only knows what else is cached in the White Trash urban, suburban and rural bunkers here. Not to mention.... we know how to shoot people at 1,000 yards too. So the idea that some special forces guy can sit unperturbed on a rooftop blowing up civilian heads and not be at risk... well, that won't be the case.

Stay tuned for evil government overlord invasion of suburbia in 3.....2.....1....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
oldsin wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

I'll have both.
You'll need a big cup.

And two girls.

Badda-boom!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jonb wrote:
Quote:
That's because the evil government overlords here know we have 300 million weapons and billions of rounds of ammo ourselves. And Gawd only knows what else is cached in the White Trash urban, suburban and rural bunkers here. Not to mention.... we know how to shoot people at 1,000 yards too. So the idea that some special forces guy can sit unperturbed on a rooftop blowing up civilian heads and not be at risk... well, that won't be the case.

Stay tuned for evil government overlord invasion of suburbia in 3.....2.....1....

Laugh all you want suburb boy. How do you know the only reason there hasn't been an evil government overlord invasion is because we're armed to the teeth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
jonb wrote:
Quote:

Laugh all you want suburb boy. How do you know the only reason there hasn't been an evil government overlord invasion is because we're armed to the teeth?
Because mouth guns are a bad idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
jonb wrote:
Quote:

Typical British suburbanite on the day the overlords invade his cozy little tract home:

Typical American suburbanite on the day the overlords invade his rural compound:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

I only mention this because of my core position on guns and America …

I have this horrible feeling that I'm once again going to be agreeing with Tripp (at least on a factual, rather than a philosophical basis).

I assume from the context that the state (or only the city?) of New York has tried to ban military-type* weapons by banning certain features of firearms. As demonstrated here such an approach is almost inevitably going to fail by designers "cheating" their way around such limitations. If you want** to ban guns with the properties of assault rifles then the only way to do so is to describe the capabilities that you wish to ban.

* "assault weapons" like the AK-series and the AR15

** Yes, I know you don't want to!

Look at that advert:
"Fixed stock" - the "stock" of a weapon is the part that rests against the shoulder - not necessarily the back end of the "lock" as shown in the diagram. It is possible that the shoulder rest is "fixed" - but that is irrelevant because this has been made into (effectively) a bullpup like the SA80 so they are as short as a folding stock rifle of conventional design. Effect of limitation: Nul Points

"No Pistol Grip" - really? looks like a pistol grip to me - and is closer to the centre of balance of the weapon so may well actually be more functional for a "spray and pray" style of use. Effect of limitation: Nul Points

"low capacity magazine" - yes, but … I would bet that the design for a 30-round reload that can easily be made on a 3D printer is already out there (with the tacit approval of the designers "Oh, no! we didn't intend that at all." - yeah, right) Somone might even have designed a huge capacity drum mag. Effect of limitation: Nul Points

"No Bayonet lug" - Have any of the massacre perps used bayonets on their guns? (and I'm sure that it would be easy to design a "clamp-on" version, anyhow) Effect of limitation: Nul Points

"Non-threaded muzzle" - presumably to prevent a suppressor being fitted. Again, I could see how to design one that clips onto those ridges on the stock rather than screwing into place. Effect of limitation: Nul Points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
jonb wrote:
Quote:

Typical British suburbanite on the day the overlords invade his cozy little tract home:

Typical American suburbanite on the day the overlords invade his rural compound:

Yep, I would say that's a pretty accurate representation of how we each react to danger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
andyholt wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

I only mention this because of my core position on guns and America …

I have this horrible feeling that I'm once again going to be agreeing with Tripp (at least on a factual, rather than a philosophical basis).

Yep. You see it clearly. I see it clearly. 100 million American gun owners see it clearly. Another billion or two non-Americans would see it clearly. So why would the NY lawmakers even bother? I have my answer, and in my view it has zero to do with guns, except in the sense that they are a "thing" that visually and emotionally galvanizes voters.

This isn't about making anyone safe, it's about controlling a political narrative and having proof of "action" to mollify voters that care about this stuff.

Oh, and you hardly need a 3D printer to get a 30-round clip. You can just buy one in about a zillion places. Nobody'd be the wiser until they counted to 10 and then figured, "He's out of ammo, let's get 'em!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

This would-be member of "a well regulated militia" arrives like this at the drill hall.
Once the squad have recovered from their serious case of ROFL, the training sergeant starts out with a fitness test: "Right, twice around the square on the double carrying your weapons!"
"Yes, whole squad! - last back buys the beers for all"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

I'm assuming he's in charge of anti-aircraft, because as soon as he pulls a trigger on anything, he's flat on his back shooting at the sky. Beer-delivering drones don't stand a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

I'm assuming he's in charge of anti-aircraft, because as soon as he pulls a trigger on anything, he's flat on his back shooting at the sky. Beer-delivering drones don't stand a chance.

What's going to put him on his back? The grenade launcher? Or the machine gun? The MG ain't going anywhere near it's target, but I doubt its going to land him on his ass considering how he's holding it. More like he's going to drop the gun.

He looks like one of Putin's boys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

Oh, and you hardly need a 3D printer to get a 30-round clip. You can just buy one in about a zillion places. Nobody'd be the wiser until they counted to 10 and then figured, "He's out of ammo, let's get 'em!"

I was assuming that grooves or ridges had been added to the magazine design such that standard AR15 magazines would not fit. Otherwise the whole thing is almost pointless … oh, wait …

(I also would not be surprised if those 10-round magazines are very quick to swap)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of this paranoia of course rests on the concept that the government sees your piece of property in East Podunk as worthy of being invaded for some strange reason. This in and of itself would be funny if it all too sadly were not the way some people actually think. As if the government or anyone who actually wants to overthrow the government really needs to control places like middle of nowhere Montana or a cornfield in Iowa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

If he tries his ATGM he'll soon discover how effective (i.e. not at all) a drill round is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPNOR wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

What's going to put him on his back? The grenade launcher? Or the machine gun? The MG ain't going anywhere near it's target, but I doubt its going to land him on his ass considering how he's holding it. More like he's going to drop the gun.

He looks like one of Putin's boys.
What will land him on his back, the kicking he receives from the rest of teh section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

That looks like a pretty wimpy assault rifle! Is this one of those hobbies for morons, or what is going on here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's so cute that some people think that if they own a gun they suddenly matter and aren't wage slaves with no upward mobility.

Keep voting for republicans to "keep your guns" guys - your party will just quietly keep transferring the actual wealth and power of the nation to their cronies in the 1% while you clutch your antiquated weapons and pretend you matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Thumbs up for the thread title. DW, you are the Master of Nose Tweak

To your OP:
People in the 17th century wore rapiers on their belts. Would anyone recommend that in 2014? I wouldn't want to live in the city that allowed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
All of this paranoia of course rests on the concept that the government sees your piece of property in East Podunk as worthy of being invaded for some strange reason. This in and of itself would be funny if it all too sadly were not the way some people actually think. As if the government or anyone who actually wants to overthrow the government really needs to control places like middle of nowhere Montana or a cornfield in Iowa.

Isn't that the type of paranoia we SHOULD have? The irrational type?

If there ever comes a time where I have to defend my property from my own government, I'm thinking that there are worse things that I'll need to be worrying about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gray
United States
Bayfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:

To your OP:
People in the 17th century wore rapiers on their belts. Would anyone recommend that in 2014? I wouldn't want to live in the city that allowed it.

That would be sweet. Why should a city have to "allow" that. Why do you need permission to do everything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dynamiteboy80 wrote:
tesuji wrote:

To your OP:

That would be sweet. Why should a city have to "allow" that. Why do you need permission to do everything?
Because somethings affect more then just you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.