Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Couple quick questions after first play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
craig tata
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Played last night for the first time and got most of it (and had a great time), but did end up with a couple questions.

Regarding ship bases touching: The rule book says that ships with touching bases cannot fire, does that mean cannot fire at all or cannot fire at each other?

Regarding option cards: Are the option cards available to both sides? For example, could the empire use R2-D2 presuming the ship had an ability to use droids? If so, if players both want the same card (out of a shared set), how do you decide who gets it (trying to avoid the I own it, so its mine dynamic, lol)? The question came up mainly regarding the "Markmenship" option, where the card says I can do an action that turn, but doesn't say anything about discarding, so it seemed very powerful to use every turn.

Thanks, I'll probably have a couple more questions after I finsih going through the advanced rules, but these are the main ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the addiction.

Ships touching can still fire at other targets. As long as they are in the firing arc of course. Don't forget that you lose your action when you collide.

Unless specified, cards are useable by both factions and can be used each turn.

The torpedoes and missiles, for example, state discard after use. As well, many of the crew cards are only useable by one side. Some cards are also only useable by certain ship types.

Don't forget that some cards are unique (per side). Thus, each side could have a squad leader, but only one.

As for sharing cards, that's up to you.

In friendly games we allow proxies without hesitation. If you use a squadron builder, you can actually print out the squadron with all the card text.

In competition, you have to have your own cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig tata
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification, but I'm still confused a bit on the cards. I see nothing on the card that says this one can only be used by the rebels or that one only by the empire - how do I determine which are which?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. E
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still new to the game but if they are restricted to the Rebels or Imperials it will say that on the card.

I got some expansions and I've seen cards/upgrades that have the wording "Rebel Only".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig tata
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ah, ok, so far I don't have any of those. Now I know what to look out for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSupernatural wrote:
The question came up mainly regarding the "Markmenship" option, where the card says I can do an action that turn, but doesn't say anything about discarding, so it seemed very powerful to use every turn.

Actually, Marksmanship is a not so powerful card. It does not grant you an extra action. You can use the Marksmanship action instead of the actions in your action bar (i. e. target lock or focus for an X-Wing or focus, evade or barrel roll for a Tie Fighter).

Marksmanship is a kind of stronger focus for attacking, but cannot be used on defense. Luke is a good pilot to put it on, because on defense he has a weak focus bonus anyway. It is also good for pilots who can do something extra useful with crits or who can get an extra action (there are some pilots in the expansions with such abilities), or you could use Garven Dreis to give a focus to someone who used the Marksmanship action and need some defense aid (Garven comes with the X-Wing expansion).

The card does see some use, but it is probably very balanced or even slightly overcosted and not very powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
MrSupernatural wrote:
The question came up mainly regarding the "Markmenship" option, where the card says I can do an action that turn, but doesn't say anything about discarding, so it seemed very powerful to use every turn.

Actually, Marksmanship is a not so powerful card...

To expand on this a little bit, Marksmanship doesn't offer much that Focus can't do, because critical hits are powerful but inconsistent (the random deck, plus the fact that shields turn them into regular hits). Because Focus is much more flexible from a tactical perspective, most experienced players use Marksmanship very rarely.

There is one major exception, though: ships that can get multiple attacks in a single turn (at the moment, this means they also have the Gunner or Cluster Missiles upgrades) get the benefit of Marksmanship on each attack. In that case, the extra advantage is sometimes worth losing the flexibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpal Sword wrote:

There is one major exception, though: ships that can get multiple attacks in a single turn (at the moment, this means they also have the Gunner or Cluster Missiles upgrades) get the benefit of Marksmanship on each attack. In that case, the extra advantage is sometimes worth losing the flexibility.

Yes, forgot about multiple attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig tata
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
oops, I was using it as extra - no wonder it seemed too strong, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSupernatural wrote:
The rule book says that ships with touching bases cannot fire, does that mean cannot fire at all or cannot fire at each other?

Touching ships are the result of overlapping. It models the case that the ships are 'on top of' each other, thus can not fire at each other. They can still fire at other targets on their firing arc (or using secondary weapons, turrets can fire outside the arc). Only ships that overlapped on that turn are touching.

If players on opposite sides want to use the same Unique card (with the dot), they can do so. If you just run out of cards, for casual friendly matches print out extra copies for cards that you seem to need. But like already said, you might do better than Marksmanship. Also, I think it could feel fair that the owner lets the other player build their squad first. Or if they don't want to build their own, build two squads and let the other player pick which one to fly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're just playing a friendly game, feel free to use proxy cards (paper print-outs of cards you don't own).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian L
msg tools
mbmbmb
Vorpal Sword wrote:
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
MrSupernatural wrote:

Actually, Marksmanship is a not so powerful card...

To expand on this a little bit, Marksmanship doesn't offer much that Focus can't do, because critical hits are powerful but inconsistent (the random deck, plus the fact that shields turn them into regular hits). Because Focus is much more flexible from a tactical perspective, most experienced players use Marksmanship very rarely.

Also, some pilot abilities trigger exclusively when they score a critical hit (Ten Numb, Kath Scarlet, Maarek Steele...).

As such, those pilots usually benefit a lot from taking Marksmanship as their upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.