Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive been working on some homemade storage trays I wanted to share. They are thinner than anything I have found so its definitely a better fit in the box

Cost
Hobby Lobby Assorted Matte boards $5 for about 30 boards
Hobby lobby This 8.5 x 11 plexiglass $1.49
Balsa wood about $3 for enough to make 1 tray
emlers glue
Total cost about $5 per try
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're saying 3 of your trays stacked on top of each other takes up less depth than the trays that come with the game?

They do look good. Rubber-banning the cover each time gives me some hesitation for wanting to do it myself though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take a pic of the end result when I am done. As far as the trays go none cone with the game that I know of
They are smaller then get counter trays and easier to find units

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlescab wrote:
I'll take a pic of the end result when I am done. As far as the trays go none cone with the game that I know of
They are smaller then get counter trays and easier to find units

yeah Europe and Mediterranean each come with a counter tray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They look pretty good, and excellent for keeping the counters easily visible. I'm just getting the game so I might have a go at making some myself.

Can I make a suggestion though, and that is to get the backing slightly larger than the plexiglass, by 2x the width of the balsa frame pieces. Additionally make the cross struts to be a couple of mm less in height than the frame. This would allow the plexiglass to be recessed into the frame for a neater fit. Of course it might be difficult to get the backing in the exact size that you require but I have found it easy to buy quite large sheets of mount board (used for picture framing) reasonably cheaply from craft/art shops, which can then be cut to size with a steel rule and scalpel/Stanley knife. You could also probably get several pieces from the single board, which might work out a little cheaper than buying individual boards.

Hope you don't mind me expanding on your concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats a great idea! My issue is using parts ready to go, and not doing any cutting
The hobby lobby matboards are the exact same size as the plexiglass.Maybe I could use larger balsawood to "frame" the board. One problem I have with the thin plexiglass is static electricity. When you life the top, the units stick to the plexiglass, so I slide it off and all is ok.
I have started using thinner balsa strips from Michaels due to the counters being so thin they tend to slide around. Using thinner balsa makes a thinner storage area and no counters overlap.

I also bought a small storage box, and all of my europe expansions fit in so nicely.
The main reason I wanted to do this is so I can carry the game to conventions and game nights without having to carry all of my game boxes. I expect the end result will be one game box for rules maps and cards, and the storage tray itself with the counters.
I really like being able to see the units at a glance. Setup time will be greaty reduced, and I can easily see when a counter is "misfiled"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Final result. Europe and all expansion fit in the space of 2 boxes, and easy to find units
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlescab wrote:
Thats a great idea! My issue is using parts ready to go, and not doing any cutting
The hobby lobby matboards are the exact same size as the plexiglass.Maybe I could use larger balsawood to "frame" the board. One problem I have with the thin plexiglass is static electricity. When you life the top, the units stick to the plexiglass, so I slide it off and all is ok.
I have started using thinner balsa strips from Michaels due to the counters being so thin they tend to slide around. Using thinner balsa makes a thinner storage area and no counters overlap.

I also bought a small storage box, and all of my europe expansions fit in so nicely.
The main reason I wanted to do this is so I can carry the game to conventions and game nights without having to carry all of my game boxes. I expect the end result will be one game box for rules maps and cards, and the storage tray itself with the counters.
I really like being able to see the units at a glance. Setup time will be greaty reduced, and I can easily see when a counter is "misfiled"

Great work Charles. I am considering stealing this for several games where there a large number of units with unique information. Can you tell me what size Balsa Strips you are using?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im not sure but its the smallest strip they had ... I tried looking at what I had but I couldnt find the barcode
The smaller the better though. They are mainly there to keep counters from sliding around

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.