United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you read it correctly. I've attempting to take on the daunting task of designing a Batman themed game that is actually good. As I put up my thoughts and ideas, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I made a design blog to capture ideas and design as I go and also gather comments: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/3411/batman-game-designer-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They have one of those devil

Are you doing cards, game board or tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You made a really good point, I didn't mention the media I was doing.

A good Batman Board Game is my goal. In my opinion, there has yet to be a good one (of sufficient strategic depth). Sorry about that ambiguity.

And yea, the Arkham video game series ROCKS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoss Cartwright
United States
California
flag msg tools
Make sure it's based on the 60"s show. That's the REAL BATMAN. NOT DC COMIC MOVIES.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up in the era of Batman as the superhero detective. I understand that nowadays, his melee fighting skills and high tech toys tend to outshine his brilliance.

Game-wise, you can almost take any other super-hero character and make a fighting game out of it. But to me, the detective / sneaky side of Batman is what sets him apart, and I'd be pretty disappointed if a Batman game did not include that aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Solow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He is essentially sherlock holmes with a more tragic past with ninja skills and millions of dollars in high tech weaponry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the first difficulty with Batman is figuring out the number of players. In my opinion, Batman works best alone. This could mean a solitare game, but the fear would be a repetitive or predictable AI. The next option would be a two-player game, with one playing Batman, and the other the villain(s). While this could be fun, it could add in new challenges, like asymmetrical play. Often Batman games allow for more players by having more villains (1 batman, 1-2 villians for every other player). The problems with this is it usually makes the villains pretty weak and/or Batman becomes weak or a robot/AI player. I'm sure there is solution, but it might help to choose a number of players and stay firm on that number.

Adding to the number of players question, is figuring out how to bring in other parts of the Batman character. He's a detective, but this is often hard to do in a game. The board often gives away information (location, amount of money, number of henchmen), and if the villains have to work together, their strategizing lets Batman hear or the player has to leave the room a lot. On a similar note, much of both sides is an element of stealth. Batman often has to sneak up on henchmen, and villains often want to do crimes in secret. I think to often Batman games become fighting games and miss these elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fur94 wrote:
I think the first difficulty with Batman is figuring out the number of players. In my opinion, Batman works best alone. This could mean a solitare game, but the fear would be a repetitive or predictable AI.

Perhaps the best option would be to have all the players take on the roles of villains and Batman would be just another aspect of the environment that they have to manage their way around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an idea of doing similar, but using all the villains in a dungeon twister/map control system. With all the rouges and such involved, it would be a shame not to be able to use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few questions:

1) If you played Batman in a game, would you expect to be awesome right away? Would you be disappointed with a system that allows you to upgrade and become stronger as the game progresses?

2) If you played a Batman game, would you be upset if Batman wasn't playable, but instead you played either a Villain or supporting Hero?

I currently envision an upgrade system that increases abilities and choices as the game goes on. I think it can work, because the Arkham video games have upgrade systems (Batman doesn't start with everything) and they are immensely engaging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to avoid either side being an AI. Gotham City Strategy Game already pits competitive villains against each other with an AI batman. And AI villains don't quite capture the deduction/bluffing element I want to incorporate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.