Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Forgotten Souls» Forums » Rules

Subject: Deadly kennel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card is discarded - and Doom increases - pretty quickly. What happens then? The remaining bar guests wake? Stay asleep?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This Encounter is weird:

It says you lose the encounter if there are no heroes in the deadly kennel, but as soon as you open the door, there are no heroes in the kennel! So do you immediately lose?

As for your question, I would say that once the Encounter Card is discarded, none of its special rules apply anymore, so the Barghests are just 'normal' Barghests.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, do Familiars which count as Heroes count for the requirement that heroes must be in the kennel? Such as the Summoning Stones, the Reanimate or the Wolf?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't have it in front of me right now but I believe the page in the rulebook that has the map setup for the Deadly Kennel says that the hero who explored the room automatically advances one space. So you will have a hero in the room regardless of whether or not you had movement points / intended to.

My understanding is that yes - whenever encounter cards go away, the monsters behave as normal.

As for familiars my guess would be that if they are familiars that indicate they are treated as figures (e.g., reanimate), then it counts, but if not, then no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohler
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The way I read the card is that you can't get out of this room without advancing the doom counter. (If you search the token, all bar's awaken, and if two awaken, the doom counter advances.) Do we think that's intentional?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read it as saying that if you do the search token you discard the card and thus the other effect is skipped - so it's tight but you can win. Definitely one of the tougher rooms, especially if your heroes are spread out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can search without waking, you beat the Encounter. It's not hard if A) you have a hero with high Awareness and B) that hero has not yet moved. He has to run in and sneak past the Barghests and search. I've hit this room 3 times now and only lost once. I missed the part about automatically moving inside though (we just assumed we had one turn to get inside and stay there).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
shnar wrote:
Also, do Familiars which count as Heroes count for the requirement that heroes must be in the kennel? Such as the Summoning Stones, the Reanimate or the Wolf?

I would be inclined to say no. Rules on encounter cards are not hero abilities, monster attacks or OL cards, so tokens "treated as heroes" would not count as heroes to this purpose.

Unless the co-op variant rules have something new to add on the subject of tokens that are "treated as heroes," that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
shnar wrote:

I would be inclined to say no. Rules on encounter cards are not hero abilities, monster attacks or OL cards, so tokens "treated as heroes" would not count as heroes to this purpose.

Unless the co-op variant rules have something new to add on the subject of tokens that are "treated as heroes," that is.

I was wondering about this too. Familiars automatically fail attribute tests so i think the barghests awaken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
shnar wrote:

You are correct sir!

Deadly Kennel: it states that a hero that enters a space adjacent to a barghest tests awareness. What is the ruling for familiars? Do they fail the test because they always fail attribute tests or is an exploration card not an ability, OL card, or monster attack?

Nathan Hajek wrote:
Familiars are not considered heroes on encounter cards. So, they would not test on the deadly kennel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.