Michael Walton

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
Brilliant minds of Boardgamegeek,

We have a group of folks at work who are interested in having a long standing game at work, hosted on a table permanently that we just continue to play over the weeks with a move every day or two. It's one where folks will announce their moves via email if no one is around or to co-workers if they are.

We have 3 people, myself included, who are used to playing slightly more difficult to learn games. We've played Cyclades, Railways of the World, Risk (blech), El Grande and similar games. That said, learning Eclipse was our breaking point. We found our upper limits.

I also think wargames with square cardboard pieces wouldn't be attractive to these guys. The looks will help create interest.

We also have a 4th who is not accustomed to these games but we want to not exclude him because we only have 4 in the office. He will play along and be glad he's a part.

So I'm looking for a recommendation for a game that will fit this group. A long strategic wargame is our first gut reaction but we don't have any experience with Axis and Allies. Was thinking Axis and Allies Europe 1940. I hear it has a 39 page manual so I'm hesitant.

Then I see the updated Fortress America. Then I've always been interested in the idea of Maria even though it's just 3 (maybe in the future.) And Game of Thrones can play for 4 and it's a relatively longer game as well.

I would also be open to new ideas.

The one limitation is we don't have unlimited space on this table. We could keep tokens, pieces, cards in plano boxes or something similar for organization but we don't have space for each player to have a personalized game board required for some Euro games.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago wrote:
Then I've always been interested in the idea of Maria even though it's just 3

So consider Friedrich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Steward
United States
Kent
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Memior 44, but that would be hard to play via email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Walton

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
DasKlee wrote:
Attack! with the Attack! Deluxe Expansion would be a great alternative to A&A

Looks very interesting indeed. Wow, is the deluxe edition difficult to find past the one higher priced copy on the bgg marketplace. Ugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.