Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mech Gamer

London
msg tools
badge
Why do you keep touching me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone clear up the confusion regarding whether you *have* to put your first card in the dungeon. Apparently the Japanese rules don't mention it, but the French do... And I was wondering if it was just the first player or the whole first round...?

Thanks for any info...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mech_gamer wrote:
Can someone clear up the confusion regarding whether you *have* to put your first card in the dungeon. Apparently the Japanese rules don't mention it, but the French do... And I was wondering if it was just the first player or the whole first round...?

Thanks for any info...

The English rules dont mention it either
So we play it as you may do anything on the first turn (pass, remove item, place monster)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The English runthrough/review in the external links was translated from the French ruthrough/review. It is the only version to contain the rule for putting 4 monsters into the dungeon. This and the Russian rule summary contain the rule.

The French rule translation, French game runthrough/review, Korean rule translation, nor the original Japanese rules contain a rule about starting with monsters in the dungeon.

I think there was a mistranslation/interpretation regarding dealing out the player reference cards.

On the French runthrough/review page, a person in the comments ask about the forced playing of cards on the first round. It is replied to as being an error by the person demoing the game at Tokyo Game Market. And so the author removed it from the French version (but not from the English one).

Simply put, you don't have to put a monster in the dungeon on your first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
I double checked the Japanese rules
There's no mention of drawing a card each for the start of the first round I think the confusion is in the sentence after 1. Draw a monster card.

This is what the Japanese rules says (this is just a summary):

On your turn choose either to draw a monster card, or pass.

1. Draw a monster card
**Draw the top card from the monster deck, and don't let anyone see the card but you. Then you may choose one of the following A or B:
1-A. Place the monster card on the dungeon (pile).
1-B. remove an item from the play area (which is what the adventurer (you) have equipped. So when you remove an item card the adventurer loses that ability. Then place the monster card you drew in front of you, that card will not be used for this round.

2. Pass
If you feel the dungeon is too risky to venture forth, you may pass and drop out of the round.

The ** bit was probably the bit that was misread. I just read it a few times, and also double checked with my husband who's Japanese. The setup can be seen in the image on the rulesheet

Sometimes even (Often?) I get rules wrong or get taught it wrong, but still have a lot of fun playing the wrong rules hehe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
mech_gamer wrote:

Thanks for any info...

I mentioned this back in November. You don't have to.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14142756#14142756

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre L
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
When you remove an item, do you place the card face up or face down ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Face down.
You shouldn't show the card to anyone, but you can say anything (truth/lie) about the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The official rules do not state that you have to place the first monster you draw into the dungeon

However (on the back page of the rule book) the designer suggests the game variant that you do

(I usually follow suggestions proposed by game designers - they know the game better than anyone else after all !)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.