Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which Dice Building Game, Quarriors or Lord of the Rings? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nabbed Quarriors on iOS when it was free and was surprised how much fun it was. A few negative reviews had me dancing around tis one for a couple years. I want to get a physical copy but do have some reservations.

The game is more mechanical than thematic. Because of this, I have been eyeing the Lord of the Rings version. The knock I hear is that the enemies aren't different from each other, just tougher. If it's not going to be thematic, might as well go for Quarriors. Any expansions needed to 'complete' the base game?

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Which Dice Building Game?
I've heard Quartifacts is the must have of the bunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Quarriors once awhile ago and found it extremely lame. You roll dice, buy the highest level dice you can afford (because the more expensive die are almost always just straight up stronger in combat), and then to make things even worse, combat is auto. You make no decisions that game.

Having said that, you've played it and enjoy it so guess it would be a good choice. Lots of people recommend trying before buying, but I say if you have quarriors on iOS, just get the other game; it will expand your collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Artdicted
Greece
Athens
Kallithea
flag msg tools
badge
ΓΙΑ ΤΑ ΚΑΣΚΟΛ ΠΟΥ ΕΧΟΥΝ ΠΑΛΙΩΣΕΙ...ΚΑΙ ΓΙΑ ΤΗΝ ΤΡΕΛΑ ΠΟΥ ΠΟΤΕ ΔΕΝ ΘΑ ΤΕΛΕΙΩΣΕΙ
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend to wait a few days for this: Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings Dice Building Game is a fairly good game, but you need to download the updated rules (I believe they are here at BGG). It uses some mechanics from Quarriors! but is really a very different game (with a decent Lord of the Rings theme).

I prefer The Lord of the Rings Dice Building Game over Quarriors!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sacco
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
antreas1911 wrote:
I would recommend to wait a few days for this: Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men

I second this!

Also with Quarriors, with any of the new expansions/new versions of the game, there is a rule that allows you to buy 2 different dice on a turn, rather than just one, which really helps the game have some choices. That said, I've only played the base game and while its fun, it is better with quartifacts as it gives the players more choices to make with their creatures once they hit the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.