Subject: Solo Wonder rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played through one game but have a question or two about the wonder phase in solo play. I understand that the game will last 20 rounds.

Can I still build wonder bricks for points?
Is it 10 points per brick, or just 10 points for each row that I have a brick in?
Is it rare for irrigation to be triggered in solo play, as it is pretty far up there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
I have only played through one game but have a question or two about the wonder phase in solo play. I understand that the game will last 20 rounds.

Can I still build wonder bricks for points?
Is it 10 points per brick, or just 10 points for each row that I have a brick in?
Is it rare for irrigation to be triggered in solo play, as it is pretty far up there?

Absolutely you can build wonder bricks for points. The points are just like in the normal game - each row is 10 points, so as long as you have a brick in the row, you'll earn the full 10 points (since there are no other players competing for a share of the points). And you're right about irrigation - it's pretty far up there, so for some scenarios you're going to NEED to build wonder bricks as much as possible to trigger irrigation as early as possible, otherwise you'll not have enough room for crucial buildings. This, to me, is the crux of the wonder in solo play. As a points-earner, it's not that great. Instead, it sometimes forces you to burn resources so that you can get irrigation in order to open the map up to more development.

Hope this helped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
And just in case, fill in the first four rows of the Wonder before you start. This at least brings you closer to the irrigation brick. It's still pretty high up there, but it's reachable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolus wrote:
And just in case, fill in the first four rows of the Wonder before you start. This at least brings you closer to the irrigation brick. It's still pretty high up there, but it's reachable.

Yes I caught this rule, but thanks for the clarification
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does irrigation trigger when the spot is covered or when the row beneath it is filled?

Can I build the wonder with geese?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Irrigation is triggered when the spot is covered.

And you can use geese to build the wonder. It is in many solo games the resource of choice to build the wonder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wonder is such a welcome and interesting feature of this game.

Of course in solo play, you only need 1 of your bricks per row to score the 10 VP's per, but then the more bricks you build then the more rows that open up (not to mention the Irrigation benefit).

Balancing one's Production and Building along with resource expenditures for the Wonder makes for some very interesting solitaire play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In preparation for some upcoming ftf play, I've started to explore the 2-player maps solitaire. I simply cut the map in half to ascertain how the scenario can initially develop under varying strategies.

For the solo Wonder, a few simple phantom rules are helpful:

1) The phantom always will build a brick when you do, otherwise it won't.
2) The phantom always places its brick before you.
3) The phantom will always have a brick in every row, even if you don't (an exception to Rule 1).
4) The phantom cannot build more than 1 brick a turn.

So far, so good - it's remarkable how engaging R&B is when played solo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Piefer "Luke Luke The Orange"

Brooklyn
New York
msg tools
mbmb
So all the wonder bricks cost at least 2 goods in the solo game, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coolhandluke121 wrote:
So all the wonder bricks cost at least 2 goods in the solo game, right?
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.