Subject: Brain World overpowered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have a few games played. But it seems to me that Brain World is horribly overpowered. The deck leaning ability, combined with extra card draws seems crazy.

Is it just me, or is this just a "must buy" as soon as you see it on the table.

In our games it's been a winner every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think all the 8 cost cards are 'must buys' that are incredibly powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really powerful if you get early because it's thins your deck the quickest. But if you don't have any other good cards, you're not really drawing into anything live.

If you have other deck thinning then it's not that powerful or really wanted.

It also is less needed the longer the game goes on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KlydeFrog wrote:
I think all the 8 cost cards are 'must buys' that are incredibly powerful.

For the most part I agree with this and the notion that the draw back to this card is that it doesn't do any good for you unless you have other really strong cards you want to cycle through to.

There are all sorts of really powerful cards in the 3 and 4 range too that I'm interested in buying just to keep my opponent from adding to his deck.

My current feeling is that on the whole, the game is well balanced and I don't feel there are any cards in need of fixing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It is card draw, deck thinning, and an outpost. If you can get it early then that is pretty much GG. If you are able to generate the 8 credits need to buy this in the first place, then most likely you will be able to buy some other strong cards to fill out your deck. Worse case scenario you will need to buy some explorers for a round or two.

I think this 8 cost card is stronger than the other 8 cost cards in the early game because of the strong deck thinning. The other 8 cost cards are strong, but not as strong when bought early on.

However, this is a fast game and getting Brain World early is somewhat rare. I'm not too worried if there are some games that end up being lopsided due to random draws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Maier
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slacks wrote:
If you are able to generate the 8 credits need to buy this in the first place, then most likely you will be able to buy some other strong cards to fill out your deck.

If an opponent's deck has ramped up so fast that it is generating $8 in a single hand early in the game, you are already dead whether or not he gets Brain World or any other particular card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
permagoof wrote:
slacks wrote:
If you are able to generate the 8 credits need to buy this in the first place, then most likely you will be able to buy some other strong cards to fill out your deck.

If an opponent's deck has ramped up so fast that it is generating $8 in a single hand early in the game, you are already dead whether or not he gets Brain World or any other particular card.

This is wrong on at least two levels;

1. It doesn't take a particularly fast ramp to generate 8 trade.
If you buy 4 explorers in the first two turns as player 2 you will have about a 10% chance of generating 8 trade on turn 3 or 4. You can get more or less than that depending on draws. That said this scenario isn't particularly uncommon.

2. If your opponent buys anything with 8 trade then you are "already dead".
The most obvious problem with this statement is that there isn't always a high trade option. Another problem is that some of the high trade buys are combo heavy, Fleet HQ is a good example of this. Brain World is probably going to win you the game at this point. Most of the other 8 cost cards will not, IMO.

I don't think this is a big problem though. The chance of getting 8 trade and having a good 8 cost buy is pretty slim. Even when you can buy a big card early, many times this will still not win you the game outright. Finally, the game is short and you can just play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Maier
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slacks wrote:
permagoof wrote:
slacks wrote:

This is wrong on at least two levels;

1. It doesn't take a particularly fast ramp to generate 8 trade.
If you buy 4 explorers in the first two turns as player 2 you will have about a 10% chance of generating 8 trade on turn 3 or 4. You can get more or less than that depending on draws. That said this scenario isn't particularly uncommon.

2. If your opponent buys anything with 8 trade then you are "already dead".
The most obvious problem with this statement is that there isn't always a high trade option. Another problem is that some of the high trade buys are combo heavy, Fleet HQ is a good example of this. Brain World is probably going to win you the game at this point. Most of the other 8 cost cards will not, IMO.

I don't think this is a big problem though. The chance of getting 8 trade and having a good 8 cost buy is pretty slim. Even when you can buy a big card early, many times this will still not win you the game outright. Finally, the game is short and you can just play again.

I'll concede the first point, but you misquote me on the second. I was not asserting that any given card purchased with $8 by an opponent means that defeat is imminent. I was imprecise, however.

I was referring solely to the generation of trade. If a deck has a higher chance of consistently generating $8/hand than the opponent's, that deck should be more likely to win the game. Since, as you note, one can't predict what will appear on the trade row in a given turn, consistently generating more trade on average will increase the odds of being able to buy big power cards when they do come up.

I agree with you that Brain World or other powerful $8 cards do not compromise the game's balance because they are but 1 out of 80 possible cards. Indeed, I wonder if it might often be better in the early going to use $8 to purchase two mid-range, like-faction ships if they are on offer; this seems like it would provide more opportunities for beneficial synergy effects down the road than the single big ship/base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
permagoof wrote:
I was referring solely to the generation of trade. If a deck has a higher chance of consistently generating $8/hand than the opponent's, that deck should be more likely to win the game. Since, as you note, one can't predict what will appear on the trade row in a given turn, consistently generating more trade on average will increase the odds of being able to buy big power cards when they do come up.

I'm not sure I agree with that either, trade is only a means to an end afterall. I do agree that being able to generate consistent trade is important, particularly in the early and mid game.

permagoof wrote:
I agree with you that Brain World or other powerful $8 cards do not compromise the game's balance because they are but 1 out of 80 possible cards. Indeed, I wonder if it might often be better in the early going to use $8 to purchase two mid-range, like-faction ships if they are on offer; this seems like it would provide more opportunities for beneficial synergy effects down the road than the single big ship/base.

I think this is exactly why Brain World is stronger than the other 8 cost cards. Not only does it not require any synergy itself but it makes all your other synergies much stronger. If I can buy Brain World by a fluke in the early game, then I will do that. I cannot think of any other card or even small set of cards that I would want more than that. I don't think it is even close.

In the mid to late game, which is when you usually buy Brain World, there are a lot of other reasonable options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ray slover
United States
Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think that card is good you should play with some of the cards that came in the kick-starter version.

I almost feel bad for people that didn't know about this, who the designers were and how awesome it was going to be to get in heavy on the KS.

It's definitely my absolute favorite deck builder. I personally think dominion is pure Garbage and will never waste another minute playing that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I saw the megahauler (cost 7) which was crazy. Too bad I can't get the promos anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SonnyDK wrote:
Too bad I can't get the promos anywhere.

They're supposedly coming soon to the BGG Store and Amazon.com, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.