BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: I can't get enough of Kemet... What else could I look for? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty Mcfly
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello,

Kemet went straight to my list after playing my very first game. I LOVE all elements the game has to offer. The power tiles gives plenty of different strategies and replay value which works so well with your level of pyramids. Having a creature in your troop is such a cool element and choosing a battle card means there is strategy in the battles itself as opposed to just roll dices.

While I enjoy some of the "multipler solitaire" like Castles of Burdundy and Trajan, Kemet made me realize that there is nothing like the punch of direct conflict with other players. I have no other games that offers that much of "take that" and i'm looking for more. I know there a lots of war games out there but which one has unique and fun elements like Kemet with a low luck factor that doesn't take more than 2 hours to play?

I also enjoy games which has a high level of interection like Settlers of Catan.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades - By the same publisher, so very similar production value. Battling uses dice though. The game is centered around an auction mechanic. A lot of people say if you like one, you'll like the other. I personally find Kemet a lot more fun than this one. I don't like the auction mechanic here. It slows thing down too much, IMO.

Nexus Ops - Quick and bloody. Dice used in combat. Minis moving all over for a struggle for resources. Very much in the same vein as Kemet.

Runewars - This one is longer and more "epic". But it uses a card-only, diceless combat system, so you should check it out.

Chaos in the Old World - Area control with battling every round. Very dark and bloody theme.

[edit]

I personally like Kemet the most for a quick, conflict game. It's my #1 in this category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you love Kemet I think you may like these:

Cyclades is not quite as good as Kemet but very similar.

Nexus Ops is very simple, relatively quick, and has great player interaction.

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition), if you have 4-6 hours to spare and at least 4 players this is an epic conflict game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Was set to recommend Nexus Ops, but the low luck requirement knocks it out. its a dicefest, and youre drawing cards and stuff too. its a great game though, if youre alright with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very similar game would be Rex: Final Days of an Empire

But in my opinion Kemet is the best I've played so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Schafer
United States
Stoughton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum
Eclipse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitrijs Zulenkovs
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Cyclades. Go for the base game + Hades expansion and enjoy everything you enjoy in Kemet + various other options you'll like (and tons of interaction everywhere ofc). Hades is not a must, but makes the thing really much better, and, btw, they have one more expansion which allows you to transfer the creatures from Kemet to Cyclades (have no idea what is the result of this, though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider Rex: Final Days of an Empire.

Up to 6 players compete for complete domination of the city of Mecatol Rex. Each player controls a faction equipped with unique abilities. Alliances can be made and new abilities are granted to those who join forces. The game is based off of the classic board game Dune, which was an already well received game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This will sound a bit out of left field, but I find Antike very similar in feel. It has the same delicious tension of a race for points, knowing you're close and wondering if anyone can stop you--or if they'll cross the line first.
That, and it has diceless combat, the decision of whether to use your resources for troops or toys, and it's one of the very best games ever designed.
(For what it's worth, I find the alleged similarity of Kemet to Cyclades no more than skin-deep--similar components and themes, but very different play experiences)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the nomination of Nexus Ops. Many elements of the game are very different, but both have the property that 2 players caught in a war of attrition are both earning VP, rather than both falling behind. In that regard, both encourage somewhat reckless and bloody aggression, which keeps the game dynamic and moving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Mcfly
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks to all. Sounds like i will have to check Nexus Ops. I also heard that Kemet is kind of the evolution of Cyclades so i'll probably pass on that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, Chaos in the Old World was my go-to hybrid game for a very long time before it was fired by Kemet. If it weren't for its very strong weakness that it must be played with 4 players, it would be a close matchup. So, if you consistently have 4 players (5 with the expansion), I'd say you should give it a shot. I like Chaos a lot more than Nexus Ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet plays nothing like most of these recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
City of Remnants might work for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy hoggan
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1Chaos in the Old World
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got into Kemet recently and was struck by the vibe I got from it was so similar to Chaos in the old World.

Agree with the above poster though - it really is better with 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schnell
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not the same game, but you may enjoy BioShock Infinite: The Siege of Columbia. Our gaming group that has some big Kemet and Cyclades fans (obviously recommended) also ended up liking Bioshock Infinite quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the recommendation for Antike - it too has a sort of tech upgrade option, and you can win permanent VPs by attackig. Unfortunately, some players forget all about what it is that gains them those VPs, and the game can bog down with turtling as a result (which is daft - you can't get VPs from doing so).

I'm somewhat mystified by the Cyclades comparisons and recommendations. Kemet is so good because of the way it encourages dynamism; whereas Cyclades felt to me like a slow plod towards the crucial conflict, the denouement; Kemet is about making those conflicts happen almost every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
I'm somewhat mystified by the Cyclades comparisons and recommendations. Kemet is so good because of the way it encourages dynamism; whereas Cyclades felt to me like a slow plod towards the crucial conflict, the denouement; Kemet is about making those conflicts happen almost every turn.

QFT.

It's the publisher thing that connects them unfortunately. They are very different games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Cyclades is a decent recommendation. I don't think it's a very similar game to Kemet, though, but there is a level of direct combat -- but it is a bit more "abstract" in a sense.

Have you looked at Song of Blades and Heroes? It's only 2 players (well, you can play w/ more, but I wouldn't recommend it,) but it's a tactical minis game that you might enjoy. You could, if you cared to, play with the figurines from Kemet. It's not terribly close, but building a warband in that game has a bit of the same power-picking feel from Kemet... in a loose sense? Regardless, give it a glance, and you'll know if you want to bother or not.

Cthulhu Wars, but that's not til September.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cruz

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Kemet, and you like player interaction, you can't go wrong with Cyclades. Give it a try. And like someone else mention, there is an expansion that allows both games creatures to crossover into a meta game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd try before you buy Cyclades. I felt it was a civ building game first and an area control game second. That and there were a lot of moving parts. Kemet is a lot more accessible and is quicker to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Troylus wrote:
If you like Kemet, and you like player interaction, you can't go wrong with Cyclades.

Yes you can.

I like Kemet, and I like player interaction. I don't care much for Cyclades. Just sayin'.

I agree that the OP should take a try-before-buy approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.