Tim Westfall
United States
East Wakefield
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was having issues going through Chapter 4 tonight with the family, and found 'some' discussion in another thread (but it had more Chpt 4 questions and discussion, so this thread should remain focused specifically on how to deal with surges with split mice groups

I know we're supposed to use 1 initiative track for both groups, and a surge would trigger via the room that caused the surge (typically, via a cheese roll from a minion). But, I don't believe the rulebook or chapter scenario mention some situations that might happen? Like, what happens when the surge happens during 1 empty room or 2 empty rooms.

To sum up:

1) Per scenario book, Chapter 4 specifically states a single joint initiative track exists, and surges happen in the room that trigger them (which is fine for 'normal' minion triggered surges, no questions there)

2) Per our best guesses from the Rulebok only 1 Encounter card can exist at one point in time, correct?. (In other words if you have Group A and Group B, and Group B enters a different room shortly after Group A had entered their room, the Encounter card from Group B should be the sole card in play and a surge would trigger it's surge effect (vs having 2 separate Surge cards)). The displacement of Encounter cards IS covered in the rulebook. It also mentions 'deleting' an Encounter card after a surge.

3) So, I believe that leaves us with...
We still don't have an answer for how a surge happens if triggered by no minions in 1 room or both rooms with split groups, right? All we know is that the base Rulebook mentions 'no minions on the Board', not 'on the Tile', for adding cheese with no minions. So, I interpret this as 'all tiles' in play, since the word 'Tile' is somewhat consistent and repeatedly used in the rest of the rulebook. Or is it a mistake here?
3a) If my 'guess' is true, then 1 room could have an empty tile and search a bunch, while the other chose to let a single, simple minion live, like a roach, while both rooms spent crazy time searching? without having to worry about adding cheese? This seems 'odd' instinctively, but is my best 'guess' based on rulebook wording
3b) If my 'guess' is wrong, and it should be that cheese gets added at the end of the initiative track to a single empty active room (where the 2nd room still has minions), then it would seem more appropriate? yes? So, 3b feels more correct to prevent 'abuse' of the rules/scenario, but per rulebook, I'm playing 3a, until we get some clarification.
3c) What the heck happens when both rooms clear all minions on the same 'go' or 'run' through the initiative track? Does the Surge just spawn in both rooms? only 1 room? if one room, pick a room? based on last mouse on track? does it depend on another factor I'm not familiar with?

Thanks for any feedback.
...just wondering how you all are playing this one. I must be missing something, because there didn't appear to be much in the threads on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim it looks to me like you have understood it all rather correctly! Yes 3a is correct. There really is very little room for abuse with this being a rare occurrence and the search limits per tile.

And yes you are absolutely correct in that the last mouse on the track causes the surge if a cheese is added for no minions and it happens to fill the wheel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:
Yes 3a is correct. There really is very little room for abuse with this being a rare occurrence and the search limits per tile.

Also, that sole minion is going to make attacks, and add wounds to mice & cheese to the wheel in the meantime. This is not a great stall tactic. I ran 2 games today where the players tried to do this to get everyone their searches in, and 2 double cheese attacks later, they were in a world of regret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.