Luca Vichi
Italy
Castelbellino
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start from telling you how much I love this game, I'll be quick I promise. I often find myself on Rex's page re-reading again the Lore or watching the picure gallery, lost in a parallel universe and imagining myself to be one of the mighty Lazax or the subtle Jol-nar.

We enjoy playing this game, but most of those game ended with a 3v3 alliance and this kinda bored me. I understand that people refrain from betraying a winning alliance. It's in our nature, we are not as competitive as a Lazax would be towards a Sol, and we want those people to trust us the next game. But this is not Rex.

Solution? I decided to host a tournament with the following rules:

Play 6 games, each player never playing the same race twice.
Solo victory: 3 points
2 Players alliance Victory: 2 points each player
3 players alliance victory: 1 point each player

(we also added few rules you could not like which are:
- if the Xxcha steals the victory to his alliance it is considere as playing a 0-strenght Betrayal card, thus the allied players can react by playing their betrayal card/the xxcha can play his betrayal card as well
- draw fights make both players lose the battle instead of giving victory to the first in turn order)

I wanted this tournament to be a really cool thing. I started by taking few minis from Risk 2210 AD and Futurisk and painted them:

I also painted the Sol Fleet:

I also saw few images from twilight imperium of people playing their games on a map projected on the table. Since I own an old LCD here's the result and a link to the DIY. The result was very good: other than the beautiful Rex custom Map that has a very spatial feeling for which I thank
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmbmb

for the image and my friend Lollo (for adapting it to the LCD size); we used our tablets and smartphone for the race sheets (since we played with dimmed light) and added star wars soundtrack playing from the LCD itself

Here's the result:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zubb
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Were your efforts successful? Did the solo win % go up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Vichi
Italy
Castelbellino
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've only played the first game, won by the Xxcha player, which is a solo win but is anyway common if you play a one-time game.

Anyway we saw 3 times a 2-man alliance trying for the victory (once Lazax/Letnev at round 3, then Xxcha/Jolnar at round 5, then Lazax/Sol at round 8) and the Hacan tried to win solo once. Hacan and Xxcha/Sol had few chances to succeed. Lazax/Letnev had some chances, whilst Lazax/Sol had huge chances to win a 2-man alliance in the end: actually we (I was the Lazax) couldn't win just because Sol had killed my 6-strenght leader at round 6 when we were not yet allied yet. That Leader would have given us victory.
In the end I believe it to be a good improvement, considered that it was the first game.
I'll let you know how this develops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.