Hide
9 Posts

Stone Age» Forums » Variants

Subject: Thoughts on introducing raiding or fighting? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Robel-Forrest
msg tools
Has anyone tried or considered how to incorporate more interactive elements, like raiding or fighting with the other clans?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. My general understanding of "Euros" is that the concepts of raiding and fighting are mostly avoided on purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galgor I.
msg tools
mb
in 2p: block wood all the time :-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen stefano
Indonesia
flag msg tools
Personally i only played this game once at boardgamearena. but from every review and gameplay i saw at youtube, maybe i can tell you that raiding is useful to prevent player at stacking resources.

only if the resource at the board is empty/depleted, A player can raid another player that have the most resources that he/she needs.

Ex: if player A want to get more stone, but the board has running out of that resource. Player A still place the worker & roll the dice like usual, if he/she meant to get 2 stone, then he/she can raid that amount of stone from another player that have the most stone. if player B have five stone, player c have 7 stone, then player A must raid 2 stone from player C.

an extra dice roll maybe can be added to the raiding phase,
1-3 : get the amount of resource as the dice roll
4-5 : get the amount of resource as the dice roll "+1" (can be the same resource or another type)
6 : get the amount of resource as the dice roll + food (still can't figure the right number... hahaha)

*. maybe u can also destroy players hut from raiding, just a thought!?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glen4titan wrote:
Personally i only played this game once at boardgamearena. but from every review and gameplay i saw at youtube, maybe i can tell you that raiding is useful to prevent player at stacking resources.
What is there about this that so needs to be prevented ? I am wondering if you are aware of a rule that is on page 6 but is easily overlooked due to poor paragraph spaciing in the Rio Grande English rules.

The resources are not limited. If a resource is exhausted, use a substitute material (e.g. matches for wood).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen stefano
Indonesia
flag msg tools
hahaha, sorry about that... i totally forget about that rule.

at least with this rule, player can be more strategic in gathering their resources and use them wisely... not just exploit everything for him/her future needs. (& of course no need for substitute material)

now player can realize there will be a rarity in resources & think carefully to avoid being raided by others who in needs...

I just think that infinite resources can make the game last too long & become less challenging.

but once again, it's just me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glen4titan wrote:
I just think that infinite resources can make the game last too long & become less challenging.

If every player does that, then the game length is their own fault.

If one player is sending all available workers out to amass resources, and sends none to spend those resources on collecting points from Civ Card and Huts ... then that player is constantly falling behind on points. And what do you care.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen stefano
Indonesia
flag msg tools
Yeeeaaaa.... That's the problem with my friends. The length of the game is their own fault.

After last night play... For about 2 hours, it seems like they can be greedy at times... All they can think is digging the gold all the time, resources like clay & stone is almost unwanted.
& they also really care about feeding their meeples ( so no worry on "starvation strategy" that a lot of people talk about.)

For my conclusion the raiding rules really works out... They tend to spend their resource quickly after seeing the board being depleted. Because of the raiding phase that i point out... Hahaha it sure give the game a lot more fun than just following the normal rules...

Next time i'm gonna try with the taboo mating... (mating from 2 players meeple).

It sure gonna give us a lot more fun & laugh...

Thanx TVis for the clarification... I guess some people just like to play differently from the others, that's all... Hahaha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Fletcher
United States
Marion
OH: OHIO
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a simple rule I tossed together for this. I don't know how good it is just yet, but it seems fine.

Add a new set of 7 spaces to the board, just like the other resource areas. When resolving it, roll dice just like every other resource area and divide by three; steal that much food from the current holder of the first player marker. The holder of the first player marker gains nothing from playing there, but each worker they place there blocks others.

Stealing food provides a minor pain to the target player, but doesn't directly stop them from taking actions, thus preventing things from getting too aggressive. The fact that all attacks go for the first player prevent simply dog-piling on whoever is winning and stops things from getting too personal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.