39 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming

Subject: Thinking about getting a tablet rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Riker
msg tools
Hi there. I've been thinking about getting a tablet recently, so I'd have to make the choice between iOS and Android. Almost any time I want to play a board game, it'd have to be by myself, so I thought that a tablet might help with that. I'm trying to figure out which operating system would be best for the quality and quantity of board games available. So far, it looks like there are more available for iOS, but I thought it would be smart to ask you all about it. Is there a significant difference between the two?

Thanks in advance for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iOS without a doubt. Just browse through the last six months of news posts in the iOS gaming section and count how many times someone posts "no android?".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JS
Germany
North Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iOS should be your choice if you want to play a lot of games and board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lester
United States
SANTA MONICA
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer android for everything except boardgames. There is a FAR greater selection for ios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have purchased an Android tablet, except that I wanted a wide selection of board games, so I bought an iPad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil DeKoning
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Please note, I'm not trying to start a flame war. ( Really. ))

As someone who has suffered through owning an iPad for a little over a year, I would recommend you buy anything but an Apple product.

I can't comment as to boardgames on tablets because I don't play them on tablets, but I suspect you'll also want to do other things on that tablet, as well. Unless you want to be limited to the subset of software and online content that Apple has deigned to approve, get something made by somebody else.

To put it in BBG terms, Apple is like a game store that, for no stated reason, has a strict policy that only games from Rio Grande Games, CGE, and Queen Games can be played. And, if you ask the clerks to order something from a different company, they just stare at you blankly, like you lapsed into speaking Spanish, only in Pig Latin.

Or, to put it another way, it'd be like if Games Workshop figured out a technology for their minis such that if a player dared to use any non-GW product on them such as paint, varnish, glue, flocking, fluorescent lights, gaming tables, cookie crumbs, hair gel, or hand soap, the minis immediately melted themselves into little piles of goo.

Regarding my own iPad, I'm beginning to think it's becoming a little depressed, and, one of these days, I'll wake up to the sound of it shooting itself with a 30-06 a dozen times. I only hope I'll be able to wipe the tears away from laughing so joyously as it happens.

To sum up, I would recommend against the purchase of an iPad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, except the OP specifically asked
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out which operating system would be best for the quality and quantity of board games available.

The only correct answer to that question is iOS. I really wish it weren't true because we all know there are better devices out there for much less money, but you cannot dance around the fact that iOS far outpaces any other tablet OS when it comes to board game adaptations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil DeKoning
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I will concede that I did not answer the OP's question.

I just find it hard to recommend any products made by Apple as anything other then a replacement for clay pigeons.

If an iPad has a better selection and that's all the OP is interested in, by all means, get the iPad. I suspect it isn't all they're interested in though.

That said, I wish them luck and I'll keep my mouth shut from here on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
BozemanPhil wrote:
...I'll keep my mouth shut from here on.

Good idea, your opinion is ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BozemanPhil wrote:
Yes, I will concede that I did not answer the OP's question.

I just find it hard to recommend any products made by Apple as anything other then a replacement for clay pigeons.

If an iPad has a better selection and that's all the OP is interested in, by all means, get the iPad. I suspect it isn't all they're interested in though.

That said, I wish them luck and I'll keep my mouth shut from here on.

As someone who once loathed all things Apple, and is currently typing on a Macbook Pro, and owns an iPad, you're just being silly to be so down on Apple. While Apple isn't the end-all-be-all as someone of its cultists make it out to be, they produce very fine products. My iPad is an excellent tablet and so is the MBP. It is a company that is recognized for consistent, quality products that are accessible and reliable. Posts like yours don't really help inform people, they just make you sound less intelligent than you probably are. Unless you know more than the vast majority of tech reviewers who year in and out rate Apple products among the top of their class in each category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
BozemanPhil wrote:

And having owned multiple phones and tablets from both the Android and Apple camps, I feel much the same way about Android. I have lambasted Apple in the past, but since getting back into the Apple ecosystem with an iPad a couple of months ago for a very specific and non-game related reason, I have been incredibly happy with iOS and the quality of its applications (board game or otherwise).

And as others have said, the board game options on iOS are numerous and very well done. Also, the indie video game FTL just came out on iPad, and it is an excellent adaptation of a fantastic PC game (that sort of plays like a real time video game). So 100 points for iOS there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crow
United States
Somecity
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this turning into a Apple Vs. Android thread?

If so, I believe Open Markets are superior to Closed Markets in the long-term.

Anyway, OP, currently there are many more titles on Apple's platform. Eventually, this will swing the other way, but nobody can tell you exactly when. If I were you, I would look at specific games you wanted to play when considering board games, and weigh that against your other needs to see which choice was right for you. I would also consider cost and how much time you intend to wait between upgrades.

Wanting the largest selection of games now, not minding cost, short window for upgrades, and compatibility between your other needs with Apple's business/software model are all points for iOS.

A focus on lower cost, longer planed upgrade interval, and needs beyond gaming likely lean toward an Android device.

Best of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
Two Crows wrote:
Is this turning into a Apple Vs. Android thread?

It started as an Apple vs. Android thread. From the OP:

Quote:
I've been thinking about getting a tablet recently, so I'd have to make the choice between iOS and Android.

This thread's entire purpose is for discussion of Apple devices, Android devices, and gaming on the two. Most of the posts have answered that question directly. I'm not sure I see a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can afford an Apple, you can afford both. If not, you have to go with Android. I don't understand why you want to choose based on wanting to play board games. The only choice is one based on how much disposable income you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimThunderbrew wrote:
If you can afford an Apple, you can afford both. If not, you have to go with Android. I don't understand why you want to choose based on wanting to play board games. The only choice is one based on how much disposable income you have.

Why would he choose which tablet to buy based on board games? Hmmm ... maybe because that's what the primary purpose of the tablet will be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Riker
msg tools
Thank you for all the replies. While I will of course use it for other things, the main purpose of the tablet would be my amusement. Although I've been a fan of Android, it seems like as far as applications (especially board games) go, iOS is the frontrunner at present. I'm leaning towards an iPad 2, since it's more affordable (using the term in a very relative sense) and seems like it would be more than sufficient for my uses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rakai wrote:
Thank you for all the replies. While I will of course use it for other things, the main purpose of the tablet would be my amusement. Although I've been a fan of Android, it seems like as far as applications (especially board games) go, iOS is the frontrunner at present. I'm leaning towards an iPad 2, since it's more affordable (using the term in a very relative sense) and seems like it would be more than sufficient for my uses.

Good decision, but do your research. The iPad 2 is about to become obsolete, it barely handles the latest version of iOS 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
OK Art Studio - www.okartstudio.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Rakai wrote:

I'm writing this on one, just played Catan & Ascension, both great adaptations, and also recommend you a non boardgame but cool game: FTL. THIS 3 aremy current best games here : D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Bazar
United States
Visalia
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Rakai wrote:

An Ipad 2 would be a bad choice. Not only is it getting slow, it has a terrible screen by today's standards. You will really notice that with the small text in many board game aps.

Ipad 3 or 4 is the clear winner if you want to play lots of board games. Android is fine too--there isn't nearly as much difference between the two as the people in this thread are insisting. In fact, one of the few big differences is the amount of games available and in that department Apple clearly wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Vickers
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
yoggoth wrote:
Rakai wrote:

An Ipad 2 would be a bad choice. Not only is it getting slow, it has a terrible screen by today's standards. You will really notice that with the small text in many board game aps.

Ipad 3 or 4 is the clear winner if you want to play lots of board games. Android is fine too--there isn't nearly as much difference between the two as the people in this thread are insisting. In fact, one of the few big differences is the amount of games available and in that department Apple clearly wins.

I owned an ipad 3, and honestly, it feels like a hunk of junk next to an ipad air. The iPad air is so much lighter and easier to hold, and a pleasure to use. I can't recommend it enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rouslan S
United States
Annandale
VA
flag msg tools
Don't buy iPad 1 and 2 - bad screen for games.

I now own all 3 platform.

Windows Store - can't find any game I want to play.

Android - not many games. And the one exists often limited, for example Carcassonne only with river expantion, Hive - no UI, etc.

I was looking to buy iPad just for board games, but don't want to spend a lot $.

Finally bought used iPad Air (16GB, like new, with cover - no charges) for $250 on craiglist.

Just played first game on iPad (Suburbia).
Not bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Thinking about getting a tablets
iPad Air is amazing. Don't get anything other than it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BozemanPhil wrote:
To sum up, I would recommend against the purchase of an iPad.

Except that they are asking for the best tablet for BOARD GAMES.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
iPad Air is amazing. Don't get anything other than it.

I have an iPAd 4 and yeah, you could say I "don't know what I'm missing", and if you can afford the best (Air), then obviously get that. But there is NOTHING out that will not run (and WELL) on an iPad 4, and that will literally be the case for years to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the simple question of available options for board games right now and in the next 12-24 months: iPad.

Any other considerations: depends what you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.