James
United States
Fort Polk
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook wrote:

13.3 FORTRESS SUPPLY
Fortress Supply Capacity

A fortress with no land Supply Line to Base is Isolated. An Isolated Fortress can be used as a Supply Source...

Is this asking the player to treat an unoccupied fortress as a unit and attempt to trace supply back to Base, or is it asking the player to see if any actual units have a supply line through the fortress's hex back to Base?
And in the former case, can other units trace to it as part of a supply chain?

99% of the time there will be a friendly unit in the fortress or an uncut coastal highway back to Base. But there are rare instances when a forward unit could trace to an unoccupied friendly fortress, but not back to Base.

Example:

From Tobruk, it is only two intervening track hexes to a section of coastal highway that reaches back to Base. But the Allied unit west of Tobruk cannot trace back to that section of coastal highway.

--Question 1: Is the Allied unit west of Tobruk in supply? And if so, from where is it in supply?

I would rule that "any unit that can trace to a Fortress, but not to a Base, is eligible for Fortress Supply, to include all Fortress supply restrictions (closest first, can't transfer between units, etc.) But I can't find where the rulebook rules either way.


--Question 2: Is the following set of statements an accurate and all-inclusive description of tracing supply from units back to Base?

---Begin statement---
Units can trace directly to Base, or to a unit that is supplied-by-Base. If tracing to a unit-supplied-by-Base, the unit in question gains the supply line(s) of the unit-supplied-by-Base, in addition the supply line(s) traced to the unit-supplied-by-base. The unit in question also becomes a unit-supplied-by-Base so that other units may trace to it for supply.

To trace supply to Base or a unit-supplied-by-Base:

FIRST: May trace to adjacent hex (but not across a gapless ridge).
SECOND: May trace to a second hex, only if both hexes are traced entirely along a road (any size).
THIRD: May trace to a third hex, only if all three hexes are traced entirely along tracks and/or coastal highways.
FOURTH: May continue to trace along any number of hexes, but only along a coastal highway (content of previously traced hexes does not matter).

ALWAYS: You may not trace through a hex containing undisrupted enemy units, EXCEPT when
Hex contains a battle AND
Your are the defender AND
You control both hexsides that are being traced across.

----End statement---

Would the above statement also be entirely true for tracing supply back to a Fortress (assuming all Fortress-specific supply requirements are met)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Honor wrote:
--Question 1: Is the Allied unit west of Tobruk in supply? And if so, from where is it in supply?

The short answer is yes, it's receiving fortress supply from Tobruk.

You mention treating unoccupied fortresses as units, but I don't see anything like that in the rules; I would say that there needs to be a unit in Tobruk to form a supply chain along the track to Ft. Capuzzo, so Tobruk is Isolated, the unit west of it doesn't have a supply line back to base, and so it's receiving fortress supply from Tobruk.

Honor wrote:
I would rule that "any unit that can trace to a Fortress, but not to a Base, is eligible for Fortress Supply, to include all Fortress supply restrictions (closest first, can't transfer between units, etc.) But I can't find where the rulebook rules either way.

The difference between what you're saying, and 12.2, is the idea that a unit must use its base as its supply source whenever it can?

Honor wrote:
--Question 2: Is the following set of statements an accurate and all-inclusive description of tracing supply from units back to Base?

Well... I guess (other than, you probably want "impassable hexside" where you say "gapless ridge"), but it seems more complicated than the way I think about it, which is more like 12.4.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Polk
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Honor wrote:
--Question 1: Is the Allied unit west of Tobruk in supply? And if so, from where is it in supply?

The short answer is yes, it's receiving fortress supply from Tobruk.

You mention treating unoccupied fortresses as units, but I don't see anything like that in the rules; I would say that there needs to be a unit in Tobruk to form a supply chain along the track to Ft. Capuzzo, so Tobruk is Isolated, the unit west of it doesn't have a supply line back to base, and so it's receiving fortress supply from Tobruk.


To (attempt to) be more clear, my Question 1 stemmed from that first line in 13.3: "A fortress with no land Supply Line to Base is Isolated.". That sentence made no sense to me, as supply lines are an attribute of units, not fortresses.
If the rulebook left it at "a unit with supply lines to Base MUST use Base Supply and not Fortress Supply", then I would be less inclined to clutter these rules forums with my meaningless posts

kuhrusty wrote:
Honor wrote:
--Question 2: Is the following set of statements an accurate and all-inclusive description of tracing supply from units back to Base?

Well... I guess (other than, you probably want "impassable hexside" where you say "gapless ridge"), but it seems more complicated than the way I think about it, which is more like 12.4.

I have issues with way the rulebook mentions that "coastal highway IS a supply line" (emphasis mine). Also, and the rulebook explicitly states that "Supply Chains never project forward", but do not explicitly state this for highway supply, causimg doubt about whether my supply line automatically extends up the highway to the first undisrupted enemy unit (I don't think it does).
Lastly, the rules for using supply chains to link together multiple segments of coastal highway are both vague and fiddly, IMO.
I prefer five statememts that cover EVERY situation, rather than two or three statememts that cover 95% of situations.

Thanks for the response and for the vote of confidence in the 4+1 statements.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.