Dave Cruces
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading a bio of Nicholas II, and there was a lot of "talk" about saving the Tsar and his family before the Bolsheviks executed them. I would love to see a CDG that started out with the Russian Revolution, the fate of the Romanov's could be included and even the battle between the Mensheviks and the Bolsheviks. You could go all the way back to 1905, and include such characters as Rasputin or Witte.

I know the Russian Civil War has been done, but if you started out with the Imperial Family in charge of the war effort, and a second player could be the "opposition" and you could even have more players if you wanted as the situation was so bizarre. It could also be a good solitary effort. Maybe somebody from Victory Point games or GMT could design it.

Anything out there now that covers this topic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Triumph of Chaos

Never played it, and heard mixed reviews.

Nevertheless, I agree with you. Seems like a perfect topic for a CDG, probably 2-player like Twilight Struggle. The two revolutionary periods could be deck changes like the Cold War periods in that game, and maybe there's an earlier one for the pre-revolutionary period (circa 1905).

I started "A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution: 1891-1924" by Orlando Figes and need to finish it this year. It prompted a search for games on this topic.

http://www.amazon.com/Peoples-Tragedy-Russian-Revolution-189...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Triumph of Chaos is the one that comes to my mind as well. From what I understand, once you get over the rules overhead it's pretty meticulously researched and well put together. The local FLGS owner is a big fan, and he generally has pretty spot on taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out to lunch wrote:
Apparently a second edition is in the making though it might some time before it gets produced

And the "second edition" will be even chromier!

ToC however may look more daunting than it actually is. I gave up on the game the first time I read the rules. The faction rules just seemed too much for my little brain. But lately I made a second attempt at learning it and found out, that once you play, the faction rules are nowhere near as "bad".

As for future games covering the fate of the Romanovs, I would like a solitaire game letting you play the Tsarist Russian government from the mid-19th century to 1917. A country simulator. Seeking warm-water ports etc abroad, while keeping the lid on revolution at home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.