Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once a monster moves to the Monster Power area can they still be attacked and killed? Or do they remain unless an ability that specifically allows a card to be removed from the Power Area is used?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rochambeaux wrote:
Once a monster moves to the Monster Power area can they still be attacked and killed? Or do they remain unless an ability that specifically allows a card to be removed from the Power Area is used?

You won't find the answer to this question in the rulebook, sadly you also won't find it in the re-mastered version. I just wish the re-mastered rulebook was really re-mastered and the designer had taken the effort to include all the questions and FAQs the many users here on BGG had into his new edition of the rulebook...

As far as your question goes: No, you can not attack monsters in the power area. This can be found in a compiled FAQ:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/12681880#12681880
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas PDX
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can't attack and kill cards in the Monster Power Area. But you can use special cards like Seals or Priest to send them back to the bottom of the monster pile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas PDX
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:

You won't find the answer to this question in the rulebook

I don't agree with this.

Page 2 of the rulebook is pretty explicit:
"In order, lay out the cards "Start", "1", "2" and "3". This is the monster attack area."

For me this is very clear that you can only attack monsters when they are on these cards.

If this isn't clear enough page 3 of the rulebook defines the notion of "monsters in play". And page 5 of the rulebook explains that "attacks deal hits. Each hit adds one counter to a monster in play."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tbollaert wrote:
Mixo wrote:

You won't find the answer to this question in the rulebook

I don't agree with this.

Page 2 of the rulebook is pretty explicit:
"In order, lay out the cards "Start", "1", "2" and "3". This is the monster attack area."

For me this is very clear that you can only attack monsters when they are on these cards.

If this isn't clear enough page 3 of the rulebook defines the notion of "monsters in play". And page 5 of the rulebook explains that "attacks deal hits. Each hit adds one counter to a monster in play."

Just search the keyword monster pwoer area in the rules PDF and you will NOT find an answer. The rule question was about the power area, not the attack area. You are defing the power area by deducing from the rules of the attack area. In a well layout rule set this should not be necessary.

Besides: There is no _definition_ of the term "monsters in play" in the rules, there is (in the rules from the box) the headline "Monaters in play ACT" and a definition what these monsters do. But quite frankly, this game is sufferin all over the place on the question of missing definitions of key terms. When I was new to this game I struggled with the "in play" definition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
It saddens me to do so, but I have to agree with Mixo here. As with far too many rules in the Shadowrift rulebook - the older one more so than the new, and we're still working on it - it is heavily implied (definition of the monster attack area separate from the power area, and statement that monsters leaving town lose any damage they had on them) but not explicitly stated. In media where there's good times to be had in a variety of interpretations, "heavily implied" is awesome.
In a rulebook "heavily implied" is a failure to get all the information out clearly enough.

If we'd declared that monsters in the Monster Power Area weren't "in play," that would have been enough. However, that would have been horribly clunky since...they sort of are.
I we just need to add a quick paragraph - probably to the explanation of "Leaving Town" - defining that monsters in the Monster Power Area can't be attacked anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Chapeau" to this honest statement!

I wish you all the best on the remastered rulebook. Drop me a line if you need more people to prove-read it, I'd volunteer to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.