Eric Eikermann
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

To give you a little perspective, I received my copy of Robinson Crusoe in the mail two days ago. Unfortunately it arrived too late in the day for me to get in my first play at that time.

I played once the next day solo (scenario one) and met my tragic end with the cook in round 8. That weather is brutal. Lesson learned.

Wrong.

Today I played the game an additional 4 times all solo in scenario one. The final game was my first win.

The first session today saw the cook meet his maker by way of tiger claw. The explorer and the carpenter both succumbed to the elements. Again, not enough protection from that winter weather can kill you, literally.

So, in my fourth game today (carpenter again), I had a plan. I explored hard in the first round and found a suitable place to make my shelter in round two. I dug in over the next few rounds spending as much effort as possible on the roof. A few hairy (read: lucky/painful) hunting trips provided the necessary hides for my roofing needs. Creating the snare and hatchet was my next goal and by the time the heavy weather set in (round 7), I was well fortified.

I was lucky enough to have the storm glass as a starting item which helped immensely in planning my 7th and 8th round. Even with my ability to predict the weather for two rounds, I was still dangerously close to dying from my previous big game hunting exploits.

I decided to focus all my energy (one personal token + extra build token via determination) in round 8 on building the bed. Over the next few rounds, I rested as often as possible.

From the comforts of my straw bed (it came from the plains so I can only assume its a straw mattress), I was able to devote all of the camp's wood production to the pile (which was only half done by round eight). Furthermore, I was able to build said pile without fear of dying from the wounds I was sure to gain from neglected snow clouds.

A mast salvage in round 9 helped me nearly complete the pile, but it still took rounds 11 and 12 to top it off.

In the end, I scored 42 points in my first win.
health: 11
weapons: 2
roof: 9
pile columns: 20

It feels really good to succeed, especially after several failures in the beginning. This game is brilliant, but it takes time getting used to the mechanics and anticipating how brutal they can be.

The tension is real. I spent the second half of the game on the edge of my seat and was standing for the last round as I eagerly anticipated the final outcome.

I can't wait to play again. I can't wait to share this experience with my friends and see how the game plays with more players.

And to think, this was only the first of six scenarios the game came with. Money well spent, in my opinion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eeike001 wrote:
And to think, this was only the first of six scenarios the game came with. Money well spent, in my opinion!

Nice report. I'm 3 games in, all losses. Friday seems to be a wound magnet. Your report gives me hope.

There are eight scenarios if you count scenarios you can download for free. Money well spent indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI- the scenarios differ not just in terms of theme and goal, but in calling for dramatically different approaches. You'll enjoy (painfully) discovering the different things you'll have to do or avoid early on in each mission to create the possibility of winning. Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Eikermann
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Friday absolutely is just a wound magnet. The first two games I played, I frequently sent him to perform actions as the primary pawn or even alone. I stopped doing that and started using him as a support pawn almost exclusively (the exception being threat cards).

I am looking forward to playing the other scenarios and I am glad to hear that they feel different from each other. The good news is that the first scenario still feels fresh! This game should be fun for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "on summer break" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a wonderful game. I play primarily solo, but the kids beg to play whenever I start preparing the board. I have played all but scenario 6 and even tried the lost scenario download with my oldest who has a darma sticker on his truck. After getting it handed to us on Canibal Island we went back to play the first 4 again just to build our confidence back up. I am around 25 plays in, it doesn't get old and I have several of the free scenarios staring at me just waiting to win scenario 5 and 6. King Kong, Jurrasic, Lost, the Darwin scenario. I am eagerly awaiting the Voyage of the Beagle expansion to come out from zman. Hope you continue the journey and have successful rolls and lucky draws. Won Volcano Island with my daughter this morning after losing 5 in a row on it. The canibals await...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.