Popular Tags: [View All]
Luis Hernandez
Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I have played 7 plays of the game with my gaming group and we have always thought that the Emile Vandervelde card (the one who gives you a meeple) is a little bit unbalanced.

Yesterday I played my first 2 player game and definitely I'm thinkin' so.

In our fist turn of the game Mr. Vandervelde was on the space 0 of the public figure cards and I took the card for free as my first action (I was the first player).

Bonus cards for the first round contained two extra meeple cards. And I won them.

From this moment, the game was a clear superiority for me.

In the first turn me and the other player lost a meeple because of the majority on the Brussels board, and maybe he failed in this action, but anyweay Mr. Vandervelde is too strong: having three more meeples than my rival each turn is so painful for him and so bored for me (scoring 151-72).

I'm the only one thinking Vandervelde is unbalanced???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played once and it wasn't an issue...but perhaps your opponent shouldn't have let you get the third meeple and it was poor choice on his part? It may also be more of an issue in a two player game, or more specifically, something an opponent has to adjust his play around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to read the rules again, there is no such thing as an 'extra meeple'. Emile Vandervelde only allows you to return an assistant from the courthouse if you currently have one stuck there. If you don't have any assistants in the courthouse it does nothing. You can never have more than the 7 assistants (meeples) that you start the game with.

[edit] I just realized I had been playing without the rule that each player starts with 2 assistants in the courthouse. Now I see what you are saying, and yes that would be a very large advantage to get both of them back very early (especially in a 2 player game) if your opponent does not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your opponent had won the two meeple card, he would have had max workers for longer than you would have.

I think it's just a case of the cards falling your way and maybe an issue with 2p. With 3-5p there's so much going on that the extra meeples certainly aren't as powerful, especially when sometimes there's simply nothing good to do with them by the time you get to them and often wind up with one in front of you when the free actions all now require two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also (my copy is not nearby) doesn't that card cost a bunch at the end of the game? You are far more likely to have extra guys (as mentioned) than extra money at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Hernandez
Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
Also (my copy is not nearby) doesn't that card cost a bunch at the end of the game? You are far more likely to have extra guys (as mentioned) than extra money at the end of the game.

Cost of the cards at the end of the game is not a problem. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marioymia wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:

Cost of the cards at the end of the game is not a problem. laugh

Agreed, the endgame cost of patron cards is almost trivial.

I've won games where I had at least two workers less than another player for most of the game; however, this was 3p. I've never played the game with two, but can imagine how the game could become lopsided if one player gets too much of an advantage in workers and/or money. Bruxelles is hardly unique in this regard- I can think of several 2p euro games where a player has effectively won before the game is technically over. This is not at all a problem in my view, as the losing player can just concede.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Evans
United States
Flintstone
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
I just realized I had been playing without the rule that each player starts with 2 assistants in the courthouse.

surprise

Holy cow!!! You are not alone my friend. No wonder we've been lapping the score track the last few times we've played. GAME CHANGER.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
As noted above... are your plays 2,3or4 player?

This is an important aspect of players saying one strategy is too strong.

Most players seem to only play 2 player, when the game really needs 4.

Anytime you have a 2 player game, one player is likely to dominate, whereas, a 4 player game with other "weaker" players can still screw things up for the "good" player.

The extra Meeples can really lock down the points on the board easily. They just need to keep getting the money card, which never seemed to be an issue in our 4 player game. You'll always either get the $5 "patron" money or the stockmarket OR both.

We must be doing something wrong if Money has been said to be a limiting factor in the game.

Interesting game. Maybe you can "balance" the game by reshuffle the Meeple Patron back in the deck if showing on the first turn. Maybe double the money needed to pay him at end of the game.

The end of game payment didn't seem to be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.