Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am completionist and long-time SDE consul, of course, I am pledging for all the Blacksmith Add-on on the current Kickstarter but I have been asking myself:
- There is no exclusive? should i wait for the official release?
- Do I get enough for my buck in this Kickstarter?

Of course there is no doubt that the base pledge is awesome and super cost-effective. The individual heroes and bosses are less cost attractive but in par with their future online price (usually 10$ for a small base mini for 12$ MSRP). But what about the 30$ warbands? to answer this question, I have made this comparison sheet (the online price are from Miniature Market):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ArZ_SZ0DvraidG8...

The closest in content from the Kickstarter warbands is Rock Top Gang box, which lack a hero and mini-boss but has 6 shells but sells at 28$. That would make the new warband pretty descent value as they would probably be at 35$ at the cheapest. Goro is comparable to the Dragon's Clutch box and does not seem to be great value, but at 20$ he just about the same as its potential online price (unless they sell him with 12 giri, which they might).

Another thing that popped out for me, the new Kickstarter warbands is probably the new format for SPM box sells. The prior offering was:
- Warband (no hero or mini-boss) 30$ MSRP
- Warband pack (3 heroes, 1 boss, 1 mini-boss, 3 warbands) 60 MSRP
- Individual small-based hero/mini-boss 12$ MSRP
And now it would be:
- Warband (plus 1 hero and 1 mini-boss) 40$ MSRP
- Individual small-based hero/mini-boss 12$ MSRP
- Individual large-based hero/boss 25$ MSRP

In conclusion, the warband are good value but not great value. I have now cleared my guilt and will keep pledging like a mad man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main pledge is a good deal, indeed.
However, if the parcels are sent from the US to Europe, I think I'll pass, since the shipping and taxes surely will be more expensive than buying them later for retail.
And since I'm still waiting for Relic Knights, and I pledged a lot of money for that one a year and a half ago, I'm very reluctant to think that this one will be released in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
___Shetland pony___ ___extra pepperoni___
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, shipping could be anywhere between $50 and $100 plus soda pop have said if its not all ready to send at once they will send in 2 or even 3 shipments. I could imagine worst case scenario upwards of $150 if you are caught for vat and customs duties each time.

so until/if EU shipping is confirmed. No comparison is needed the answer is: this kickstarter is going to leave anyone outside the Yankee states massively hugely ridiculously of pocket
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am lucky enough to go to the US on a regular basis, so shipping is not really an issue, nor it is the topic. I am looking to discuss the value assuming free shipping.

Where did they mention multiple shipment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
___Shetland pony___ ___extra pepperoni___
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, fair enough . Whilst reading your post, my powers of guesswork did not stretch to assume you were assuming free shipping as a regular pond crosser.
On topic: as you have already calculated to your satisfaction that you will continue to pledge like a mad man, there is little i can add. Enjoy and good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bailey
United States
West valley
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you for posting your findings. so many of us run the same numbers before a purchase like this. honestly this seemingly daunting task is all that has kept me away as of yet. now I have no excuse...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan K
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
the_yoshi wrote:

Where did you get these values at?
The Warband's are $30 for 15-19 minis, so 40$ MSRP is not an unreasonable retail markup, but i wanted to see the original source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernado wrote:
However, if the parcels are sent from the US to Europe, I think I'll pass, since the shipping and taxes surely will be more expensive than buying them later for retail.
Under Shipping, it is written on the KS page : "We will be shipping from within the UK, so UK and EU backers will not have to pay customs fees from the US. This will also reduce your shipping charges."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hans4rd wrote:
Yes, shipping could be anywhere between $50 and $100 plus soda pop have said if its not all ready to send at once they will send in 2 or even 3 shipments.

This one bothers me.
With the weak dollar these kind of Kickstarters are normally a good deal for Europeans, as online retailers can not fully match the price.
But if we have to pay for multiple shipments, it is going to eat up any savings in no time!
If they do not make it possible to pay for just a single shipment, I am going to wait for the pledge manager before adding anything above the base pledge. If by that time it is not clear what items are in the first shipment, I am probably just going to get the base set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
Current estimates are $15 UK and $25 EU for shipping, but there's a $10 credit, so worst case (i.e. if they have to do two separate shipments and you only get credit on the first) you'd be looking at about $20 UK and $40 EU with no taxes or handling fees on top, best case $5 and $15 respectively.

Even if they do two shipments (and as far as I know, they haven't suggested this is likely) we're still much better off than we were at the start of the campaign when we were looking at $50-100 for a single shipment. If anyone is really worried though, just go for the basic $100 Always Super pledge since that's where the most value is anyway, and that will guarantee a single shipment (that's the benefit of everything else being available at retail later ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mekkaspark wrote:
the_yoshi wrote:

Where did you get these values at?
The Warband's are $30 for 15-19 minis, so 40$ MSRP is not an unreasonable retail markup, but i wanted to see the original source.

No source, it is just an estimation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.