Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: One hundred variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
romano veronese
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
After having played many new games I always come back to Nerathlaying solo afgter a while i become bored to did the same overtures(the cards at the beginning not could change a lot of these). However i here wish just share my variants.

Change the order of start:
Vailin starts first,but you give two treasure card to Karkoth and one to Iron.
Iron goes first : no change except the initial 10 11 12 13 gold to the firt, second etc player.
Nerath go first: some than Vailin variant(may be 2 treasure to iron and one to Karkoth.
The reasons in give treasure is to compensate the handicap in a fun way (form 3 to 7 VP points and some erery time different powers) :

Add new units:
I tried in the past on this forum an Easter surprise: I not playtested it: the new units and could be recruited after the Dungeons were depleted (Absolute variant dungeon guardian 1, 2 , 3 nothing)
so you use the new units very little.
Now i have tried a
Runewars units variant

The only limitation is that you could use the new units after all your foot soldiers are on the map(This within the almost Absolute big variant of the limit of pieces as how many figures)

ELVEN ARCHER 1 gold D6 FIRST STRIKE 1 MOVEMENT

WARRIOR 2 GOLD D8 ENDURABLE 2 MOVEMENT

PEGASUS RIDER 4 GOLD D12 ENDURABLE,FLYING 3 MOVEMENT

SORCERER 3 GOLD D10 FIRST STRIKE , 3 hits if rolls 10 2 MOVEMENT

HUMAN ARCHER 2 GOLD D8 ENDURABLE ,2 hits if rolls 8 2 movement

KNIGHT 3 GOLD D 10 FIRST STRIKE 3 MOVEMENT

SIEGE TOWER 3 GOLD D12/ ATTACK D20 DEFENCE
ENDURABLE 2 hits if rolls 12. 4 IF ROLL 20 3 MOVEMENT

WARRIOR 1 GOLD 1 MOVEMENT Two hits if roll 6

REANIMATE 1 GOLD D6 WHEN HE DIES ROLL A D 8 1 MOVEMENT

DARK KNIGHT 3 GOLD D12 If he hits next round roll a d 20 3 MOVEMENT

SORCERER 3 GOLD D 10 first strike if 10 create 2 reanimates and hits
2 MOVEMENT

ARCHER 2 GOLD D8 ENDURABLE 2 MOVEMENT

BERSEKER 1 GOLD D6 REROLL if fails 1 MOVEMENT

SORCERER 2 gold D8 FIRST STRIKE 2 MOVEMENT

CAOS LORD 3 GOLD D12 3 D10 IF HIT,ENDURABLE 3 MOVEMENT

FLESH RIPPER 2 GOLD D 10 IF ROLL ALL RIPPERS IN BATTLE BECOME ENDURABLE 3 MOVEMENT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
romano veronese
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
Still here ? So I go on
This is the trasposition in Nerah combat style of Age of Mytology Norse and Aegyptian units ( i lost Greek )
It is a little hard without a table try
UNIT COST LIFE MOVEMENT SPECIAL
JARL 2 1 2 D 10 (with 10: 2 hits)
VALKYRIE 2 1 3 D 10
THROWING AXEMAN 2 1 2 RANGE first round first strike D 10 ; then meleee D 8
HUSKARL 2 1 2 D10; bersek 2 D1O destroyed at the end
DWARF 2 1 1 D20
TROLL 3 2 2 2 D 8+D6
NYDHOGG 3 2 2 FLY D 10
FROST GIANT 3 2 2 D 12 + D 8
Peasants 1 1 1 D6
SPEAR HERO 4 2 2 plus one to 3 of the some kind UNITS D 12
DOUBLE AXE hero 4 4 2 plus one to 3 of the some kind UNITS D 10
HERO AXE HERO 2 2 2 plus one to 2 of the some kind UNITS D 8
CHARIOT ARCHER 3 1 3 RANGEfirst stike D 12 THEN melee D8
SPEARMAN 2 1 2 D 10 ROLL 10: 2 HITS
ELEPHANT 3 2 3 D10+D8
ANUBITE 2 1 2 RANGE D10 THEN D8
SCORPION MAN 3 2 1 3 D8
WADJET 2 1 2 FLY D 12
MUMMY 2 1 1 FIRST STRIKE D8
SPHYNX 2 1 3 D 8+ 3 D6
PHEONIX 3 2 2 FLY ; 2 D 8
PHARAOH 4 2 2 plus one to 3 of the some kind UNITS D 12
SON OF OSIRIS 4 2 2 plus one to 5 units of the same kind D 10
PRIEST 2 2 2 PLUS ONE TO 2 UNITS D8
Peasants 1 1 1 D6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
romano veronese
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
it is a little hard to read :
TROLL 3 2 2 2 D 8+D6 means that cost 3 gold :endurable,move 2 and roll 2 D 8 + 1 D 6
I use them in different maps (conquest of empire,swords and katana,lord of the ring etc) giving different victory aims.
In Nerath you could to choose some unit for every race.
Or to put on every Dungeon one random combination of these units: you could use any kind of your unit to destroy them and make the dungeons playable as normal mode.

I cannibalize also the fantastic variant age of war of Red Simon giving to ALL the races the Tower of Dead and a strong version of defensive catapult. I liked the spirit of make more different the races,but as it is at Nerath offensive ia always better than defensive so i found Nerath feeble than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
romano veronese
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
here there are some link ad suggestion for more variants:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/670761/the-future-of-nerath

Quote:
I thought of what would justify a new goodie bag, if not a full expansion. Duplicate minis and dice, new Dungeons, Treasures, and Events are all pretty straightforward and would be welcome. Add to that a small number of Event cards, each of which gives its faction a new unit mechanically unique to that faction, with the full unit stats printed on the Event card. There are many possibilities within that idea, but the main point is creating new minis that are substantially different between factions without adding to the overall complexity of the game. If you don't draw the card, that unit never comes into play.

Quote:
Like this idea

A general for Nerath? has no dice of his own, but increases the chance of your troops hitting on 5+

A traitor for the Iron Circle? Can be moved through enemy territory and strike at a particular target chosen by the Iron Circle player

A vampire for Karkoth? rolls D8 - on an 8, the enemy is not only destroyed, but replaced with a Karkoth model of the same type - so a nerath hero becomes a karkoth hero etc...

Leigh Shepherd
(Leigh Shepherd)
Quote:
Vailin need something too!

What about buccaneers? They have the ability to retreat even when defending, on land or sea - on sea, they take the warship with them, on land they can just melt back into a friendly space if the battle is going against them.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/672455/cool-discussion-with-...
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drdd/20110615
Quote:
The Playing Pieces

Rich: One of the fantasy experiences that the D&D game hasn’t ever replicated all that well is the “cast of thousands” story of armies clashing. I wanted players to see the Battle of Pelennor Fields in this game—legions of footsoldiers, towering siege engines, sweeping charges of cavalry, and fantastic participants such as giants, dragons, treants, and more. Several unit types hit the cutting room floor as we wrestled with tuning the game to its best mix (and the costs associated with having a lot of different sculpts in the game). At various points in the design, we had knights, krakens, and light fliers—gargoyles, harpies, eagles and such—under consideration. Ultimately our storm elementals took the place of both krakens and light fliers, and we decided that the fighter hero piece and knight were battling for the same space. We made the sculpt of the fighter a mounted figure, and struck a happy balance.
Pete: In development, a lot of number crunching occurred. Hundreds of armies were mustered, millions of battles were fought! In the end, I calculated the approximate value of each unit to promptly discover that Rich had assigned almost all the right values in the first place. The only change was the dragon, a piece that varied throughout design with a cost between 4 and 7 gold. In the first couple of tests, the dragons weren’t seeing play at the expensive 7 gold. We eventually settled on the aggressive 5 gold cost—expensive enough to be a risk, but cheap enough that they would be used. 

Buondiavolo
Please not take the following heavily...

Quote:
modular map-boards, interwoven turn sequences, global events (vs. just having special action cards), scenarios, variable victory conditions that are more sophisticated than MORE points or obliterate the enemy, alternate set-ups..

Quote:
Fixed !

Modular map board and alternate set-ups.: Turn 90 degree the Nerath map and play Goblin allied with Elves against Men with Undead. Then next timeturn again and play Goblin and Men against the other two
interwoven turn sequences : spent some gold and bid for first or last turn.
global events Cannibalize other games: for example : Fog : all rolls to -1
scenarios What about the first to have a Matrimony between the two allies(the Goblin Princess and the Undead Prince in a enemy castle with all the guests (Dragon, Fighter etc and a new Golden Ship (20 gold) : Today married (monster eat a lot !)?
variable victory conditions : Tame the dragons (3?)! If you roll exactly 6(two times) you tame the adversary dragon. If all the dragon dead. Tame 2 Monster instead of a Dragon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
romano veronese
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Several unit types hit the cutting room floor as we wrestled with tuning the game to its best mix (and the costs associated with having a lot of different sculpts in the game).

So one reason for not have in the box more units types was economic !
Before going on to propose other ideas i wish to try to understand what in Nerath was inspired from A&A.
I never play it before,but i took some time to read the rules and to follow some sessions. So forgive me if some things are obvious to you.

A Tank is exactly as a Fighter hero: to roll a 3 or less on a d6 has the same probabilty to roll a 6 or more on a D 10. And Run Amok is just a little different from Blitz( you need to conquer before run amok while blitz you conquer hostie territory in no enemy unit is there ).

An attacking Infantry is the same than a foot soldier .

A defending Infantry is the same as a defending Siege Tower.

An Artillery is a sort of a General as in the Variant AGE OF WAR.

A Dragon has a power a little stronger than a Bomber or a Battleship,but complete different rules for reposition.

Castles are industrial complex with a defence more stronger and thann Aagun and thats against every kind of enemy units,not just flyers

Transports not defend , but ships roll a d8 (as a 2 on d6 )

Submarines work as a first strike D8:

Elemental are in water stronger as Bomber or battleship.

Troops are cargo, but Fighter and Wizards partecipates in sea battle : and after the naval combat they battle again when they land !

There is nothing as Aircraft carrier.

So the idea here is to bring back light fliers : gargoyles, harpies, eagles ,ippoghryphes and sea only Kraken.

A Kraken is a sort of a floating island: attack with a d6, but defend with D12. Moves 2 spaces. Its cost is 2 gold . It can transport two light flyers.

A light flyer (Ippogryphe) move 4 but has to come back to the Kraken with this movement( so he could move 3 and reposite 1, 2 and 2 or 1 and 3)on a friendly land space . Not a just conquered space ! Same rules than fighters in A & A . it cost is 2 gold and rolls a D 12.
Confront two situations:
if you buy a ship and 2 fighter(6 gold) you could reach a 2 move sea space and try to conquer it .If there is a ship it rolls a d8 you roll a d8 and 2 d10. If the enemy ship hits you you loose one figther and ,if you hit too, you land a fighter in the adjacent land space.
If you buy a Kraken an 2 ippogryphe you spent 6 gold , could reach a 4 move far land space, destroy more easily the enemy, but you cannot conquest it !
If there is a ship it rolls a d8 you roll a d 6 and if you like as much as 2 d12.
If the enemy ship hits you you loose one figher or the kraken and ,if you hit too ,you combat anything more.
But you cold choose to use just one I. to combat in sea and so you have a I. to make another battle somewhere. If you loose the kraken and you have not any friendly space you are dead !

If you defend a sea space with a ship and 2 fighter you roll a d 8 and 2 d10 (and can take 3 hits)
If you have a Kraken and 2 Ippogryphe you defend with a 3 12 D!

Invest units on plunder dungeons is a particular form of research development: it could give you more strenght , but overall give you Victory Points.
An idea for a variant is
this: You buy some wizards and put them in your secret laboratory to study new spells: if you roll 2 success on your roll you found the spell.And roll on the table.
I have think of different kind based on power and property: i mean one-use spell (as scrolls) tahn dissapers after use more strong than permanent spell (may be with a cost in gold for components?

PETRIFYNG SCROLL: one enemy unit not roll dice for this combat.
DragonLance spell : If attacked from a Dragon this unit roll 2 D 10 (cost 1 gold)
Teletrasport scroll ( you could tranport an unit every where )
Reflecting shield (may be differnt name, i suspect cool there is just this card) scroll: enemy unit hit itself this roll)
Enfeble ray spell (this battle round minus one to all enemy units: cost 1 gold every 2 enemy units: if you have not enought money for all the units you cannot cast the spell )
Reduce your units scroll ( one of your ship can transport 4 units )

Winning condition: in long game to conquer all enemy capitals is alike to military A & A military victory. Economic Victory is alike the varian for free for all proposed here
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/689280/different-vp-system-f...

The cities victory condition (in Anniversary edition)could be studied as a new variant for Nerath ( one city is where is your not capital castle and one other in the middle island )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
romano veronese
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
I tryed my new ideas in a solo play.
The Kraken and the Murloc ( i like these mini so much that i always wish to have some other use for them: four blue, four red, four green: just one purple so for the undeadi used different minis) are symbiothic living being: this is the reason because the Murloc has always to come back to its friend Kraken (this is because i wished low prices for them ad be units just for support) If one wish a light flier that can fly, and reposite itself anywhere: Eagle D 10 3 gold 2 mov or Harpy d8 2 gold 3 mov Gargoyle:endurable d12 4 gold 2 mov :

New victory condition
Dungeon now are secret alchemist wizard towers laboratories.
Every race own 2 near capital) and share with ally one :Fortress of final pact for Nerath and Vailin; Tomb of horrors for Iron and Karkoth
At the set up you put a Wizard on every Dungeon.
YOU not have event card in this variant: if you roll a success in your dungeon with your wizard in the first phase of turn you get an event card:If you roll two(you need 2 wizards of your race !) you get a Tresury card,but your wizard disappear in other dimensions.

So if you have just one unit you not risk to loose it,but you not get treasury =new weapons

You win if you own your capitals and in your turn you and your ally conquered all enemy Wizard Towers.
In your wizard Tower you can have just wizards and Fighter( that just roll for defensd),but your emnemies can attack with any units: but to hold it you need one of your heroes survive(all othe units have to reposite outside )

Event cards are still divided for races . Treasure are chosen before play and you could add new spell and scrolls, cards with some units(the little fliers, the buccanners etc in a modest quantity) Take off 3 victory card and other cards that you not like.
Enjoy and criticize if you think there something wrong !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
STEPHANOS KOLOVOS
Greece
CORFU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well well well...
I am tempted to try it.Lately I am playing this game with my Junior...it's look nice but I feel that it's missing something.With your idea ,to add the miniatures of "Runewars" and "Age of mythology" just sounds awesome.Brilliant idea !
Thank you for the variant and the stats...by the way, really this game can be played solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.