Edoardo Anastasi
Italy
flag msg tools
Ok, so these are my very first miniatures ever (i started to paint miniatures like one month ago with the descent goblin archers cause i hated to have so many miniatures for a game and having them unpainted XD)

I wanted some impressions and maybe suggestions from other painters or descent lovers on how my work is going and how i could improve it with better techniques maybe...

in order.. fist painting job ever Goblin Archers, then barghest and flesh moulders... the last ones are the ironbounds (a few days ago)... im planning to do valyndra soon.. god that miniature is amazing

also, some sugestions on how to not destroy my brushes would be wellcome... i allready had to change a set :/

note theat the master spider have a red skull on its back instead of samered fure like the minions with blue fur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enie kamozi
United States
Tewksbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all , welcome
I am a recent inductee in the mini painting world as well, I started last year with descent 2nd edition . You seem to be doing this much faster than my rate .
I love how your ettins turned out and the elementals too.
I am a bit nervous for my elemental and shadow dragon, those are the only two unpainted monster figures from my base game .
The new rat nest figure looks good (and nasty )
Also the Spider-Man red and blue on the master zombie is funny , I tried something similar with my Arachyura.

As for suggestions :
I would recommend trying out the figures on a descent map tile. I had a lot of figures with the same red outline base for master and black outline on base for regular ones, but they were so dark on the board I had to constantly pick them up and verify master while playing. I then started doing red and white outlines instead .
It seems either the picture is bad or you had the same issues with barghests that I had with painting animal fur etc. I ended up trying thinned up paint layers to get anything decent, some other BGG folk might have a better solution for that ...
Are you sealing up your finished paint jobs ? I have been trying out glossy seals and matte finish sprays, and I like the shiny effect I can get out of them on some models .
Also if you are thinking about basing your models, have a look at some of my experiments : Bases

As for brushes I haven't bought a good one yet (will buy good one soon), but hobby store ones are lasting me decently long . They always need to be kept clean and washed after painting done .

edited: cleaning up /fix typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ettin, meriod, and the ironbounds look great. It seems like your yellow is too splotchy.

I just finished my first try at painting, for descent characters. Some ended up better than others.

The shadow dragons were among my favorites and by far the easiest. I bought Smoke paint by Tamiya and just did solid coats of that over white primer and then some dry-brushing and accents on the face. It ends up kind of like a wash with darker and lighter areas around the figure.

Not what is on the card, but I like it better. It gives the feel of things that blend into the shadows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edoardo Anastasi
Italy
flag msg tools
enie wrote:
First of all , welcome
I am a recent inductee in the mini painting world as well, I started last year with descent 2nd edition . You seem to be doing this much faster than my rate .
I love how your ettins turned out and the elementals too.
I am a bit nervous for my elemental and shadow dragon, those are the only two unpainted monster figures from my base game .
The new rat nest figure looks good (and nasty )
Also the Spider-Man red and blue on the master zombie is funny , I tried something similar with my Arachyura.

As for suggestions :
I would recommend trying out the figures on a descent map tile. I had a lot of figures with the same red outline base for master and black outline on base for regular ones, but they were so dark on the board I had to constantly pick them up and verify master while playing. I then started doing red and white outlines instead .
It seems either the picture is bad or you had the same issues with barghests that I had with painting animal fur etc. I ended up trying thinned up paint layers to get anything decent, some other BGG folk might have a better solution for that ...
Are you sealing up your finished paint jobs ? I have been trying out glossy seals and matte finish sprays, and I like the shiny effect I can get out of them on some models .
Also if you are thinking about basing your models, have a look at some of my experiments : Bases

As for brushes I haven't bought a good one yet (will buy good one soon), but hobby store ones are lasting me decently long . They always need to be kept clean and washed after painting done .

edited: cleaning up /fix typos

For the shiny/smoke (wash) effect im using tamiya color smoke x-19... it looks amazing and does both sealing/shiny AND smoke wash... i just dont like it on the skin of humanoids... in fact i used it on the clothes of the ettins and on theyr fur but not on the skin (where i used a earthshade was from cittadel

for the basing... meh... i just dont think im good enough and it will take away time from me... after all the descent figures (i have every single expansion/lieutenant) ill have to paint the gears of war game, mansion of madness (only base game) zombiecide and, when it will be delivered in september arcadia quest with every single figure... so basing its not a priority for me XD

for the masert/minions thing... i decided to do the monsters differently... i do color the bases with red or black to help recognise them, but i also paint them differently... like the goblins (copper armor for the minions and red for the master) or the ettins (copper armor for the master and steel for the minion) or the ironbound (the cloth skirt is purple for the master and blue for the minions).. this way the board is less boring and u get if a monser is a minion or not with a single glance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good work. I would suggest to use dullcoat or other matt spray varnish on the miniatures to protect the paint job and to take away the shine (unless you like the models glossy that is...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edoardo Anastasi
Italy
flag msg tools
Mordjinn wrote:
Good work. I would suggest to use dullcoat or other matt spray varnish on the miniatures to protect the paint job and to take away the shine (unless you like the models glossy that is...).

i actually like em shiny... unless its humanoid skin... i dont want it to look like plastic

anyway.. this is todays work... fire imps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enie kamozi
United States
Tewksbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

escapeRoute wrote:

after all the descent figures (i have every single expansion/lieutenant) ill have to paint the gears of war game, mansion of madness (only base game) zombiecide and, when it will be delivered in september arcadia quest with every single figure... so basing its not a priority for me XD

I hear you, this is the reason I stopped buying Descent expansions after Trollfens, I would never be able to complete painting Descent Figs

My next purchase for Descent will be when they come out with the no overlord variant which right now is in the Game night kit incarnation.

My queue right now is to finish Descent and then Gears of War followed by (hopefully) Shadows of Brimstone in August.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edoardo Anastasi
Italy
flag msg tools
enie wrote:

escapeRoute wrote:

after all the descent figures (i have every single expansion/lieutenant) ill have to paint the gears of war game, mansion of madness (only base game) zombiecide and, when it will be delivered in september arcadia quest with every single figure... so basing its not a priority for me XD

I hear you, this is the reason I stopped buying Descent expansions after Trollfens, I would never be able to complete painting Descent Figs

My next purchase for Descent will be when they come out with the no overlord variant which right now is in the Game night kit incarnation.

My queue right now is to finish Descent and then Gears of War followed by (hopefully) Shadows of Brimstone in August.

actually i would buy at least shadow of nerekhall if i where u... it really is a great expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enie kamozi
United States
Tewksbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
escapeRoute wrote:

actually i would buy at least shadow of nerekhall if i where u... it really is a great expansion

Between the expansions + Descent first edition miniatures + conversion kit I have more than enough heroes, mosters and hero classes. What I really need is gameplay variety now, maybe a different game mode, better one off scenarios for a single sitting etc etc. Does shadow of nerekhall add anything new in that respect ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that you use citadel paints. I would recommend using citadel Stirland mud and/or morheim tuft for basing. The bases look good indoors/outdoors. You really dont want a grassy base, since it will look silly indoors.

The zombies could use some bloody look in my opinion : )

Here´s some pics that you encouraged me to upload (though I had painted them a long time ago) ^^

Edit: to add an image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
escapeRoute wrote:

anyway.. this is todays work... fire imps

Very nice! Have you considered some shading (and possibly highlight after that) to give some depth to the minis and accentuate the details? Love the eyes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Base 'em. You don't have to do anything fancy for gaming miniatures. Just glue playground sand to the base, paint black (or brown), then drybrush in grey (or tan).

Add a speck of static grass (try dead grass rather than the regular grass I used), by dotting the base with glue from the tip of a paperclip, then pressing static grass into it, and tapping the figure upside down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edoardo Anastasi
Italy
flag msg tools
i did actually wash the imps (not the flames), but i think it just doesnt show up very well in a picture if thats what you mean by "shadow"...

for the highligts... i did it for the ettins since they are big and its easyier to spot the difference... i dont know if we will even notice it while playing for the goblins or these imps guys XD but i'm actually thinking bout doing the teeths and the horns with some "dirt white" instead of leaving them like that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ettin, the merriod and the fire imps are my favorite of the bunch. The color schemes on the zombies/zombie dogs (?) seem a bit off. Can't pinpoint it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Doctor
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the skin color on your zombies are great! It looks very corpse-like, much better than the green depicted on the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edoardo Anastasi
Italy
flag msg tools
personally i've never understood this whole green zombies thing... many imagine zombies to be green but i have yet to see a corpse becoming green... they become grey, white and if they mummify they become a little bit "fried bacon brown" but green? XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
escapeRoute wrote:
also, some sugestions on how to not destroy my brushes would be wellcome... i allready had to change a set :/

I'm not sure if my brushes last longer now that I found a good brush, or if it just happened that I learned how to care for them...

But I love my Raphael brushes... I mostly use the 2/0. I always rinse in the water very vigorously (I used to get most of the paint off on the paper towel, now it is mostly clean by time I dry it on the paper towel).

I try not to get paint into the base of the bristles, and if I do I rinse it quickly. I don't let my paints dry up too much. I don't mix with my brush, instead I use its handle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice for your first miniatures.

I have a few tips however:

-) always paint on some sort of throw away thing (I use single sheets of newspaper for that) and have a water containment nearby as well as about 2 serviettes/handkerchiefs.

-) To make your miniatures look less painted and more natural use 2-3 thin layers of paint instead of 1-2 very thick layers. This maybe takes a little bit longer, but is very much worth the small effort. If you took too much paint on your brush by mistake just paint 1-2 quick strokes on your newspaper, it will be perfect then.

-) Always keep your paints fluid. With GW colors that would mean closing them and shaking them in between and add water if necessary.

-) Once you notice the top of your brush doesn't feel like a brush anymore and has a rather solid/clumped together top, immidiatly paint the bottom of your water containment to get rid of that and dry your brush by painting a serviette or handkerchief for a few strokes. Do this rather often than not, because it won't just improve your results but painting with a brush that feels like a brush is much more fun.

-) If you get rid of the dried paint from the top of your brush rather regularly, cleaining you brush will be very easy. Do the same as above but rather than just painting your serviette try to wipe the paint off with your serviette by getting a firm grip of your brush and move it from bottom to the tip of your brush.

-) To make your miniatures look more 3D you can either use ink or washes or just mix them yourself by adding a little bit of the darkest base-color of the model to rather much water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.