Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve McCormick
England
Carlisle
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you all choose? I play solo with two investigators and like Lily Chen (ass kicker) and Charlie Kane (stuff getter). I don't have much interest in the other characters. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play solo as well - usually 2-4 investigators. I usually select the starting investigators I want but randomly select any new ones should I lose any starters (a fairly common occurrence). For 4 investigator games I may split it up to start (2 random, two chosen).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I choose randomly, just to keep it interesting. If I have played with one of the characters a lot before I might make a substitution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We give everyone three at random, and let them choose who they want from that selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we play all random, more interesting and fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
always random
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of the deal two, choose one method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Never random

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Alfredsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually play 2 or 4. we shuffle and deal 3 to each player from wich we get to choose which one we'll play first second and third. If someone kills more than three investigators, someone else has to volunteer their third choice investigator. (In 2 player mode we then draw a random investigator from the remaining 6)

We very rarely kill our first...
I am the only one so far that has gotten to the third choice and I've done it more than once. The rest of the group very rarely kill their first investigators. Mind you, I tend to pick Lily, Silas or Jim as my first choice.

For a solo game I usually do a kanebot with a three choice random. I prefer the Silas and Kanecombo though. Silas is really fast and Kane buffs him enough to take Cuthulu in one shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awake Land
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always random.

Adds interesting combinations between players and anything needed solved. If you're only playing 2, missing out on a whole bunch of cool stuff, like when you don't have Charlie, or someone with high influence, how can you improve influence, or try to cast conjuration? Or do without much influence and try for spells or stat increases.

So many ways to play E.H. and some character combos seem weaker, those can be the best and most interesting games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I will choose either at random or 2 random and choose one.

However, this weekend a friend had a very nice way of choosing his characters after he died.

He decided he would choose purely based on the characters starting location relative to what had happened during the game. For example at one point my investigator spent quite a long time around north america, so we ended up with Charlie Kane on the basis that he joined our cause after having come across my investigator during the game.

This made it semi-random and it meant that we were painting ourselves even a story around our journey!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BertMcCloud wrote:

He decided he would choose purely based on the characters starting location relative to what had happened during the game. For example at one point my investigator spent quite a long time around north america, so we ended up with Charlie Kane on the basis that he joined our cause after having come across my investigator during the game.

This made it semi-random and it meant that we were painting ourselves even a story around our journey!

I like the way you are thinking :-)

We normally play random selection, so not always with "best" characters.
It depends on... When there is odd number of players, we use semi random so that you can select from 2, with even number of players pure random selection. Otherwise this game is just too easy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Adams
United States
Medina
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing with others, we always do draw two randomly and keep one.

When playing solo I shuffle the stack and roll a die, and count off whatever was rolled (moving them to the bottom of the stack). The next one in the stack is in the game. Repeat for as many investigators as I planned on playing with. I do occasionally veto an investigator if they have been played a lot recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurelian
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I play solo with 4 investigators, always chosen at random to start the game. This gives variety and presents the "challenge" for the solo player - to solve how best to use their combined abilities. But if an investigator is killed I then allow myself to choose the replacement - the game is hard enough anyway, and I feel the choice of new character based on the game situation is often a critical test of skill and judgement that contributes positively to the feeling of a win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McCormick
England
Carlisle
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played totally random against Azathoth yesterday and got Mark Hartigan and the Astronomer and won. Actually enjoyed the change it made.

Random it is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cruz

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my favorites but I prefer random, plus it keeps the game fresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.