Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David McCulley
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, can someone please confirm the situation when fire lands on fire. The sequence of events in my rules state place a fire marker in each adjacent space, then initiate a shockwave. This could result in 4 shockwaves heading north, south east and west. However on watching some videos, it appears that a shockwave would occur only if there was ALREADY an adjacent fire marker. Therefore if the space adjacent was empty or had smoke the only action for that direction would be to place a fire token with no shockwave. Hope this makes sense and thank you in anticipation of a reply. David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Godinho
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The shockwave will end at the first non fire location turning it into a fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
When an explosion happens, you attempt to spread fire in the 4 spaces orthogonally adjacent to the space in which the explosion happens. If one of those adjacent spaces is already on fire, that's when a shockwave happens instead. So for each explosion that occurs, you will put down exactly 1 fire marker or damage cube for each of the 4 directions.

So this statement:
Quote:
The sequence of events in my rules state place a fire marker in each adjacent space, then initiate a shockwave.

is incorrect. A shockwave happens instead of placing fire in an adjacent space, not in addition to placing fire in an adjacent space.

If this is still unclear, I would suggest going back and rereading page 5 of the rules. The example at the bottom of the page does a good job of illustrating how an explosion works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McCulley
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jason, thanks for your reply. Does that mean my rules are correct and the videos i've seen are wrong. I understand how a shockwave ends but my query is does a shockwave occur in the first place. So say fire lands on fire and there are no other token surrounding it. As i read it four more fire tokens would be placed adjacent then a shockwave occurs in each of those directions. The videos however show that placing the four tokens adjacent is all that would occur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McCulley
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much George. I hadnt seen your reply before i replied to jason. That clarifies it for me. Many thanks guys for your swift responses, much appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McCulley
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry shawn, called you by your surname by mistake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You should reread page 5. Specifically:
"Place a Fire marker in each Adjacent space without Fire..."
then
"If the Adjacent space in any direction is on Fire, a Shockwave is created."
Then from the example, only stage 5 creates a Shockwave
"Right - The Adjacent space is already on Fire: a Shockwave is created."

Shockwaves only happen if:
Fire is placed on Fire (causing more Fire to be placed on the surrounding 4 spaces)
and
The space in any direction is already on Fire.

EDIT: my post is unnecessary it seems. But still right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:
for each explosion that occurs, you will put down exactly 1 fire marker or damage cube for each of the 4 directions.

Not to be pedantic but....
If a shockwave hits a closed door it simply destroys a door, no damage marker no fire. So you should have said "for each explosion that occurs, you will a)either put down exactly 1 fire marker or damage cube OR b) destroy a closed door, for each of the 4 directions."

I think this is clear, it is covered in the example on page 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Byrd
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and not to be extremely thoroughly pedantic, but any open doors passed by a shockwave are also destroyed without stopping the shockwave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:
Putts wrote:
for each explosion that occurs, you will put down exactly 1 fire marker or damage cube for each of the 4 directions.

Not to be pedantic but....
If a shockwave hits a closed door it simply destroys a door, no damage marker no fire. So you should have said "for each explosion that occurs, you will a)either put down exactly 1 fire marker or damage cube OR b) destroy a closed door, for each of the 4 directions."

I think this is clear, it is covered in the example on page 5

Good catch. I was trying to be as clear as possible, but I shouldn't have left that possibility out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jackbird wrote:
...and not to be extremely thoroughly pedantic, but any open doors passed by a shockwave are also destroyed without stopping the shockwave.

Actually I missed this at first - had the shockwave going through leaving the open door intact.

Usually didn't matter much...

Nice double pedant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.