Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
A few questions on Investment.

1. The things you can invest in is the buildings (villas, pensions, etc...) and the land forest spaces, correct? (The rulebook makes no mention of the land cards in investment). Or does a player just pay the money and get the land card if they place a token there?

2. During investment of a building, if I place a token on a cottage, I pay 100 right away. If another player places a token on it they pay 200, but does that mean I have to pay the additional amount as well?(i.e. Pay up to the 200 amount?)Or does it mean at the end of that phase, the person who paid the most takes the cottage?

(The example from the rules that confused me was the part that said..."but if, before the player's second action, the price of the villa has risen so much that the player can not afford it..." This part implies if I place a token on a cottage and pay 100 and then someone else places a token and pays 200, I still have the option of paying the extra fee OR it could mean that t could place my other token and pay 300 for the cottage).

3. And I'm not sure why placing two tokens means I pay nothing on a building. What is this representing? That I'm taking more time looking into the property before putting an offer down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Land is an investment like all the house types, cars are also investments. They all follow the same rules, in particular the multiplying prices and the discount if you place 2 workers.
Re-fueling a used car is done similar to investments but without the competition. The only special thing about land is that it comes in 2 stacks, and when the first runs out land prices rise. Houses don't run out, I never saw that there were not enough of them.

2. No, you pay, and the card is yours (though you leave it on the stack for the moment), this is not an auction. The higher prices only concerns late arrivals. Everyone pays immediately and gets the card when the worker placement phase has ended.
The rule example refers to a situation where you secure a pension first to make sure you only pay 300, but you can only place the pension if you buy a villa, too (because you have none yet). This can backfire if someone else raises your price for the villa and you cannot afford it anymore; in that case your pension is also worthless (and with no refund!) and goes back to the stack.

3. Can't say what it means thematically- maybe putting all your energy into hunting down an occasion. But is convenient at times, in particular if you play last and have 3 workers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lutz, thank you. That makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Afterthought...
patton55 wrote:
I'm not sure why placing two tokens means I pay nothing on a building. What is this representing?

That, as a family, you are irrestible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.