Subject: Is this different enough from Castle Panic to be worth getting? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched a few videos for Carnival Zombie, and it seems to have a lot of the same ideas as Castle Panic. Mainly the fact that you're trying to survive waves of bad guys by hunkering down in the center of a board. Obviously there are a few things that are different. I really like the idea of the definitive combat where you don't have to roll dice or do anything randomly, but I'm wondering if this is worth picking up if I already own Castle Panic and its expansion. I just got CP about a month ago, and I'm still really enjoying it, but would you say that CZ replaces it? Or are they different enough games to be worth owning both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally different (well, mostly anyway). Castle panic totally lacks the big picture story of reaching an escape location. In CZ you need to consider the route you'll follow to survive. It's not just about stopping the hoard at night when you hole up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most definitely pick it up if you can find it. I haven't been this sucked into a game narrative as completely as in this game, since Robinson Crusoe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Wolfe
United States
living in Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very different. More similar to Dead Panic (for several reasons, some obvious, others not) but it's still very different aside from the basic "siege" idea. Definitely worth getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, very different. CP is a great family game and a lot of fun. CZ is stressful, long and complex - but in a good way. The day phases allow you to create a story, but the real meat is in the frantic night phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! I'll have to keep an eye out for it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Castle Panic is all about the cardplay and hand management. This is a very different experience (and much deeper in my opinion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any thoughts on which game would be more suitable for solo play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.