Subject: Story Pack #2 Oddities & Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My wife and I got this game to the table last night. Our first game utilized Story Pack #1 of the first series, which produced a very fun (and smooth playing) game. For the second game, we went with Story Pack #2. Things quickly fell apart.

I understand that the game encourages us to mix and match story packs, but it does also suggest playing through them all individually first. Unfortunately, Story Pack #2 is a mess.

* Are 'Historic' characters able to end the game, ala Primes? The rules are quite clear that ONLY Prime characters can reach the End - but in the case of Story Pack #2, that doesn't make sense.

* Dorothy * Kansas Farm Girl and Aunt Em are included, but not Uncle Henry. The Story Pack is named 'Witches & Women', so I guess that makes sense. The problem is that Dorothy & Em are never able to utilize their 'with Uncle Henry' Vitality bonus.

* "I can starve you." Does this card stay in play? If so, other than "Blue is the color of the Munchkins.", how the heck can you cancel it? My wife stuck me with this about three or four turns in, which proved devastating throughout the rest of the game.

* The same with 'Tremble with Fear'. The card reads that all Evil characters are Vitality 1. Is this a permanent effect - and does this include both players' evil characters?

* The 'Melting Away' card says 'Banish target Evil Witch, target Baked object, or target Baked Animat'. The problem is that Story Pack #2 does not have 'Baked' objects or characters to target.

* A copy of 'Witch's Cupboard' is in Story Pack #2, but the only Food tagged card is 'Tree Full of Nuts', which is immovable.

* The 'Wolf Pack' card says that 'Other Wolves are Endurance +1'. First off, what is Endurance in game terms? Secondly, there is but one 'Wolf' card in the story pack - where are these 'other wolves'?

* 'Premature Launch' is an Event that is able to be played against an opponent's storyline - correct? Is it one time use?

* The 'Kalidah' and 'Fighting Trees' cards state that each player may have up to two copies in play. But Story Pack #2 only has one copy each. As a matter of fact, going through the Story Pack card listings, there is only one copy of each card in the entire game!

The disappointment felt towards this second story pack is amplified by the fact that the first pack was so well put together. Seriously, the first game we played was a blast. The second one, though ... ugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After checking out the related blog post that was written during the kickstarter campaign, I can answer part of my own question:

"I can starve you." is a vile, vile card. It does, in fact, remain in play throughout the game.

But the problem with it does remain: There appears to be only one card in Story Pack #2 that can archive it. And if you use it ("Blue is the color of..."), you end up trashing all your cards that are not blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Bemidji
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I've played through the first pack with various friends now, but have only just read through the cards in the other packs.

With combos and board wipes and the like, I feel like the game was designed for each player to bring their own deck and then it was decided later for everyone to use the same deck, possibly to make it more family friendly. But each player could still do it like that and deck build with different strategies, and have a side board, so that if one player brings a lot of high point witches, you can rotate in the card that gets rid of all witches from your sideboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Mont Van wrote:
After checking out the related blog post that was written during the kickstarter campaign, I can answer part of my own question:

"I can starve you." is a vile, vile card. It does, in fact, remain in play throughout the game.

But the problem with it does remain: There appears to be only one card in Story Pack #2 that can archive it. And if you use it ("Blue is the color of..."), you end up trashing all your cards that are not blue.

There are some nasty cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
There are some nasty cards.

That's the truth.

In our first game, my wife pulled this amazingly dickish move. I had been inching Toto through my storyline, crowing all the way that the little dog was stylin' people to shame with his Gold Collar & Green Spectacles. Right before I was to get the dog to the End, my wife played a "Run for the cellar!" card on me. Because there were crows flying over head the 'Storm Cellar * Small Black Hole' location, Toto got archived.

I spent the rest of the game calling her a murderer.

When this game is 'on', it is brilliant fun. I just have a beef with the way in which the second pack is put together. It's flat-out uncool that you've got cards that reference things that just aren't there. If, for example, a pack includes 'Witch's Cupboard', there really should be food objects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Connor
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mont Van wrote:

My wife and I got this game to the table last night. Our first game utilized Story Pack #1 of the first series, which produced a very fun (and smooth playing) game. For the second game, we went with Story Pack #2. Things quickly fell apart.

Eric,

Yesterday (Sat.) was apparently International Table-Top Game day.

I was invited by a brand new local gaming store, here in Carson City, NV, nameds Nerdvana to play and sjow off the game. It was crowded. I played without break straight through from 10:30 AM to 6:00 PM and played one game with each Story Packs from both sets.

Witches and Women worked quite well for myself and my opponent. For the first time ever, I actually won a round of my own game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Connor
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mont Van wrote:

Yesterday I actually got a chance to play the final version of my game. I ws invited by a brand new loca gaming store, here in Carson City, NV, named Nerdvana, to come for International Table-Top Game Day and demo my game. I played without break from 10:30 AM to 6:00 PM.

I got a chance to play a game with each of the seven story packs without any problems. I won my very first round of my own game when we used SP #2 "Witches and Women"! Seriously, I've never won a game since I started back in 2001! yuk

To address your issues:

1) Please read my post: Cards That "Don't Make Sense".

2) It's about women. If you want Henry, add him to the pack.

3) Yep. Nasty thing, isn't? I got it out in my second game of yesterday, and that's why a I finally won my first Oz game.

4) Yep and Yep.

5) Again, please read my post: Cards That "Don't Make Sense".

6) Oops, my bad. Take it out, or add some food from other packs.

7) I'll be including a corrected card in the replacement set I'm offering: Replacement Cards.

8) Yep and Yep.

9) Please read my post about extra cards: Re: Important: Card Replacements
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.