Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS purchased an extra DS9 with the thought of having a second chance tournament after OP6 concluded.
Joshua Eastman
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
developed three homebrew scenarios with wickedly difficult environmental conditions for the players to battle over. One was in a sensor blinding nebula, one over a black hole, and one with a fleet of pirate ships controlled by a maneuver deck and attacking whoever they were near. Build rules were 100 pt standard build with a free resource, no AO allowed.

Going into the third round Charles and I were both 2-0 having conquered opposing fleets in both the black hole and nebula scenarios. Only the pirate fleet lay between one of us and the second chance DS9. I was flying an updated version of my month one list, with better ships.

Enterprise D w/ Picard and Spock
Sutherland w/ Terrell
Valdore w/ Donatra
Federation Fighters

Charles ran (to the best of my memory, not all the upgrades remembered)

Koraga w/ Picard
5th Wing Patrol ship
Valdore w/ Romulan commander
Federation Fighters

We each deployed on our sides of the table in a small space directly across from the planet. The pirate fleet on a neutral edge. The initial turn had me moving counter clockwise to the right of the planet while Charles sent the Bug, Valdore and Fighters to meet me and the Koraga around the planet the other way. The pirates turned to follow my fleet (drat). On turn two I split my fighters off to meet Picard and see what would happen with the pirates while the main fleets came into long range. The Bug lost it's shields and the Sutherland took some shield damage. The pirates continued around my side of the planet.

The major strike came on turn three when I destroyed the Bug only to have the Sutherland explode under the guns of Charles' fighters and cloaked Romulan. Unfortunately for Charles he pulled a Warp Core Breach on the crit I managed to get onto his Valdore. The pirates kind of puttered along, shooting but not really doing anything on the far side of the planet from the main fleet engagement.

Charles opted to eject his warp core immediately which made it easy for me to start dropping hits onto the Valdore but I had to speed 4 my Valdore to get it clear of the scrum as I'd gotten shot up while in cloak. I dropped cloak, brought up the shields and prayed. The last two turns I started doing damage to his Koraga and continued to beat up the Valdore but couldn't manage to destroy it on the last turn, both of them getting down to one hull each and my Enterprise losing its shields. It looked like Charles would win 27-25 on points but then the pirates came. First fighter squadron turns away from the Koraga, second fighter squadron turns away, third races forward to range one of the Koraga and the Ferengi Marauder turns away. On the attack roll the suddenly aggressive (and accurate) fighters destroy the Koraga. Ships destroyed by the pirates count toward victory...and defeat is seized from the jaws of victory for Charles.

A bittersweet win for me. In the words of Captain Conan, to destroy ones enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their tribbles and green alien princesses is what is best in life, not to have a bunch of Naussican pirates do the deed for you. My Federation Second Chancers had won, but barely and received the deed to DS9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You got lucky. Our local shop picked up an extra one too, but they decided that it was more in their interest to sell it off on eBay for $200 than to, you know, offer it up to players as a prize for something.

I realize that shops have to pay for OP prizes, but it seems like a dick move to me (and is also against the contract that the venues sign with WK to get the prizes, but no one seems to care about that part).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you know the auction they put up, you can email it to wizkids and it will get them an infraction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Whiteman
United States
Middletown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delta_angelfire wrote:
If you know the auction they put up, you can email it to wizkids and it will get them an infraction.

My understanding is that the second one is for the TO/Store and required to be given out as a prize. As such Ebaying it would be completely fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wilson
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nicolivoldkif wrote:
delta_angelfire wrote:

My understanding is that the second one is for the TO/Store and required to be given out as a prize. As such Ebaying it would be completely fine.

And reporting your store for an infraction could result in your store no longer getting Wizkids Op Kits. Sadly, many players who have crooked stores are really powerless to stop it without then burning their own bridge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.