Subject: Devices that reveal signals query rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused by these devices. When I first saw them I thought that the player just flips the signal token to see if it is an alien or a human/fake signal. But after seeing that the word 'reveal' is used both when signals are in LOS of an Agent and when using those devices it seems that the usage of said devices actually reveals and resolves the token as normal.

This is a bit weird however because revealing signals makes things more difficult for the Agents and I don't see any reason to spend a whole Device in such an effect, especially when the game is so brutal, with ammo shortages and the big damage output of the aliens. Most of the time you need medikits and ammo packs, not a marginally useful effect.

So what am I missing here? Why is it a good thing to reveal a signal? Most of the time it doesn't take long for signals to be revealed anyway. I simply cannot see why revealing a signal earlier is good for the agents.

Even if it just reveals the signal but not RESOLVES it, it is still marginally useful in missions where you need to find specific signals like Mission 2. If a mission has most signals be aliens, then I don't see ANY reason to take those devices.

Thoughts? Advice on the usefulness of the Reveal signal devices over the basic Medpacks or Ammo packs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waste MaLife
msg tools
I thought this as well.. they way I believe it is supposed to work is that it is a "peak" not a "reveal".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording on those devices is pretty explicit; you're definitely flipping the token over and resolving its effect, since that's what revealing a signal means.

I haven't found a use for any of these devices yet, but some things that spring to mind:

* It is almost always better to reveal a signal while it is out of LOS than reveal it while it has LOS because then the alien basically wastes its next activation

* In scenarios with a lot of "if fewer aliens than humans, teleport signals" effects, it can be useful to have finer control over how many aliens are on the board (particularly since otherwise you can end up with a ton of signals all getting revealed at once, which can be devastating)

* In some scenarios, revealing signals before you can see them can be very useful tactically (for instance, when rescuing scientists in Mission 2)

Those benefits have never outweighed the massive downside of losing out on ammo or health for me so far, though, so take that list with a grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
The wording on those devices is pretty explicit; you're definitely flipping the token over and resolving its effect, since that's what revealing a signal means.

I haven't found a use for any of these devices yet, but some things that spring to mind:

* It is almost always better to reveal a signal while it is out of LOS than reveal it while it has LOS because then the alien basically wastes its next activation

* In scenarios with a lot of "if fewer aliens than humans, teleport signals" effects, it can be useful to have finer control over how many aliens are on the board (particularly since otherwise you can end up with a ton of signals all getting revealed at once, which can be devastating)

* In some scenarios, revealing signals before you can see them can be very useful tactically (for instance, when rescuing scientists in Mission 2)

Those benefits have never outweighed the massive downside of losing out on ammo or health for me so far, though, so take that list with a grain of salt.

There is one scenario, I think 5(?) where you have to reveal an alien signal, successfully 'scan' it and the kill the alpha. In that scenario, it doesn't take an action to reveal a signal, only that you are standing next to it and you then can choose to reveal it or not (scenario special rule). So in that scenario, you can move to reveal one signal and then choose to use your action to use the device to reveal a second signal in an adjacent area.

But yeah...I agree that there is pretty much always something else that is more useful available. Like a med-kit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero_guy wrote:
There is one scenario, I think 5(?) where you have to reveal an alien signal, successfully 'scan' it and the kill the alpha.

I think that must be Mission 4 (I haven't ended up playing that one yet, since I'm playing campaign mode and it didn't end up being one of the ones I hit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.