Thumb up
1 Posts

Big City» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Jesus built my hotrod^H^H^H^H^H^Hcity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Etherton
flag msg tools
I've been trying to track down a copy of this game, and Jonathan was nice enough to bring it to CSUSM Game Day. It was the third such Game Day, although it was the first one I'd been able to attend.

I sat down with the rules translation and went over all the components -- the game is pretty simple. We quickly gathered a group of five -- myself, Martin, Terry, Keith, and Briant (or Brian, wasn't really sure).

Somebody went off and ran off some photocopies of the English play aid, and then I stumbled through teaching the game. I was a bit wary because I'd just taught Vegas Showdown to several new people and while I'd gotten the rules right, I'd made a spectacular blunder during gameplay which cost me the game (didn't have Fancy Lounge before putting a Theatre into play).

Anyway, with the full complement of five we drew one card from each of the first six decks, and then each placed a city tile in turn. We ended up with a long, skinny city that grew moreso that way during the game.

The first few rounds went by with a few people exchanging cards while others made one or two-building plays. Everybody grasped the "outskirt" mechanic well. I believe Briant finally played City Hall in the third round or so, so I (next in turn) started the street car line well away from there. Some parks went down quickly, leaving dead cards in their wake and partially derailing some of my plans.

Over the next several rounds everybody managed to score bits and pieces, and some of the special buildings went into play. There was a lot of construction near the street car lines -- they ended up near the parks so there were a lot of bonuses being handed out. The street car line weaved its way back toward City Hall and at least one pretty good bonus.

I ended up with the 2x2 factory card, and dumped it in neighborhood Eight (hosing myself slightly but really hosing a few opponents). The L-shaped factory never made it into play because it wouldn't fit anywhere.

I had been hoarding three of the "church possible" cards for much of the game, and my opponents obligingly left the last appropriate block open two rounds in a row, giving me a commanding lead that quickly won me the game. I believe Martin had been about to take the second church himself but I barely beat him to the punch. Nobody managed to build a shopping center, although at least one post office and I believe all three cinemas made it into play. Maybe a bank too.

I think everybody enjoyed the game well enough -- I think it's a good candidate for family play, although it's tricky to track down these days. I'm trying to get an order going from that store mentioned in a thread elsewhere here.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.